Aluminum equipment trailers.

/ Aluminum equipment trailers.
One thing that was ignorant is how they had safety chains hooked. Just used them as like a washer one of the 4 bolts holding the steel adjustable coupler on.
875A2746-4E37-4292-A3CE-6DCEECEDE067.jpeg

I moved them.
FEEFF8FC-3F42-4725-BD7C-E77A21012896.jpeg

You can see the end of the A frame channel, that thing is 1/2” on sides but almost 3/4” before it tapers off on top/bottom.
The main frame channel is weird, it’s 1 piece formed and shaped like this. 8” tall.
FFE4256A-AEED-42CD-BD03-45F186E60217.jpeg

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #102  
On a 20’ trailer? You have a 040, right? About the same size as mine. If i loaded backwards I’d have mega tongue weight to keep boom over trailer. At least I assume, never tried it.

No my trailer is a 22 or maybe 24. I can haul with the boom either way I just like it backwards. I apparently don’t have a picture of the excavator loaded on my tilt trailer.
IMG_0566.JPG

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #103  
My KX040 mini excavator will fit forwards or backwards on my 22' (aluminum/tilt) trailer.

I almost always load backwards. Both the mini excavator and tractor have cabs...loading backwards reduces the chance of a door getting blown open and possibly seriously damaged.

FWIW, a Weigh-Safe hitch makes getting tongue weight correct easy.

My KX040 mini excavator will fit forwards or backwards on my 22' (aluminum/tilt) trailer.

I almost always load backwards. Both the mini excavator and tractor have cabs...loading backwards reduces the chance of a door getting blown open and possibly seriously damaged.

FWIW, a Weigh-Safe hitch makes getting tongue weight correct easy.
I just always load forward, i like the exhaust pipe in back if possible. No reason really.
But this is what i have to set tongue weight. I load a piece of equipment and then jack it up and replace the ball mount with an empty flat one and set this on it and lower the trailer. I can then, very carefully, move the equipment back or forth to find the perfect tongue weight. Once i do i mark it and thats where i load up every time. The hitches with scales are nice but i read reviews and a lot of people complained that they fail cause of constant use or water intrusion. This one is pretty cheap.
30A5A1DD-B5A6-43A5-9E21-28B59AC822BD.jpeg

Not for nothing another thing I bought that i use and is super handy to have is this. You can weigh buckets, roll bales, or anything. Love it. Mines a 2200lb scale.
322D5260-C44D-4A2E-B997-3EBA3CDCC397.jpeg

Little update after i used for a bit. It pulls great. Easy to load even though i only have a couple inches on each side of clearance between fenders. No issue. Now for what i just figured out and am pi@@ed about. For the longest time i could figure out why the tongue looked like it was running uphill. I have the trailer perfectly leveled when loaded, not even a 1/2” of upward slant. But tongue and jack, and coupler all looks like it’s slanted. So i finally looked into it and found the tongue runs uphill, 2” in 7’. The tongue starts at the side frame rail and then passes under the front frame rail. There is almost an inch of thickness difference between front frame rail and side frame. It is bothering me bad. Doesn’t effect its function, but sticks out to me bad, especially now.

Here’s a vid of the frame and tongue. Tongue

Heres side pic, it shows up better in person. The jack looks slanted and so does coupler just like the trailer is high in the front, its not, its level.
1D26A6CD-8814-4B9C-B37C-BAE6A47F3EAF.jpeg

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #106  
Is the trailer still working well for you? I'm considering switching because the Sure-Trac 10k lb trailer is about 500 lbs lighter than mine. Any opinions on the aluminum deck vs wood? Do you find it slippery?

Well, I don’t like it. I want my steel deck over back. But, it pulls like a dream. I have pulled my 11600lb excavator a lot and there has been no issues. Brakes are great, even though there is on 2” on each side of my tracks between the fenders it’s easy to load. Again it pull greats, smooth, no vibration and the tires are holding up good. The deck isn’t that slick. Maybe because it’s grooved it gives good traction perpendicular but I suppose with the grooves it could be slick.
I bought it just as a dolly for the mini ex, and not a fan of equipment trailers hence me not liking it. But I wanted the heaviest excavator I could legally pull….

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #108  
...The endless CDL BS. .. I do not have a CDL, I have 2 F450s..One is a reg cab dump truck. The other is a 4dr limited. The Limited pulls my 5th wheel.. Im not sure what the loaded weight is..But it's heavy. Truck is probably pushing 10K pounds and the trailer with a couple bikes in the back.. Probably another 18K pounds. Registry says I'm fine with that combo..No Cdl .. But my dump truck with a GVW of 17K.. Pulling a 9999 trailer... CDL is required. .. Its a bs money grab plain and simple.

/ Aluminum equipment trailers. #109  
Well, I don’t like it. I want my steel deck over back. But, it pulls like a dream. I have pulled my 11600lb excavator a lot and there has been no issues. Brakes are great, even though there is on 2” on each side of my tracks between the fenders it’s easy to load. Again it pull greats, smooth, no vibration and the tires are holding up good. The deck isn’t that slick. Maybe because it’s grooved it gives good traction perpendicular but I suppose with the grooves it could be slick.
I bought it just as a dolly for the mini ex, and not a fan of equipment trailers hence me not liking it. But I wanted the heaviest excavator I could legally pull….
You don’t like it because it’s aluminum or because it’s not a deckover? I’m fine with equipment style, so the aluminum to steel comparison is what I’m concerned about. Have you noticed accelerated wear or other issues with the aluminum? Have the tie downs bent the stale pockets?

...The endless CDL BS. .. I do not have a CDL, I have 2 F450s..One is a reg cab dump truck. The other is a 4dr limited. The Limited pulls my 5th wheel.. Im not sure what the loaded weight is..But it's heavy. Truck is probably pushing 10K pounds and the trailer with a couple bikes in the back.. Probably another 18K pounds. Registry says I'm fine with that combo..No Cdl .. But my dump truck with a GVW of 17K.. Pulling a 9999 trailer... CDL is required. .. Its a bs money grab plain and simple.
It is. Its arbitrary weight limits set forth in 1992 after the teamsters lobbied legislators for commercial licensing to help further their stranglehold. Back then to pull 26k you had to have heavy truck/trailer. Now, with engineering and modern truck/trailers 26k is no isuue.

luckily my state follows the fed guidelines and there is no 10k trailer thing like some states(blue) have. I just have to weigh and have gvwr’s at 26k.