Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #61  
One other thing that throws me on your statement, the large (I mean huge) farm tractors are articulated in the center and all tires are the same size. If there was value in smaller front tires I am sure we would see it in this type of application where such heavy mass and drage are being pulled.

I think,, you misunderstood his logic on tires,,, as I also misunderstood it.

Four small tires is less traction than two of those tires on the front,, with much larger tires on the rear.

Can you imagine how much traction I would loose if I replaced the rear tires with similar sized tires that are on the front!?? :confused2:

Right%20Rear_zpswiul2rok.jpg

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions
I think,, you misunderstood his logic on tires,,, as I also misunderstood it.

Four small tires is less traction than two of those tires on the front,, with much larger tires on the rear.

Can you imagine how much traction I would loose if I replaced the rear tires with similar sized tires that are on the front!?? :confused2:

Right%20Rear_zpswiul2rok.jpg
Can you imagine how much damage those tires would do to my turf?

Not to mention, that may be a compact by 30yr old standards... but from my wants/needs/standards.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #63  
LD1, new to this conversation so if there is history, I do not know. Can you point ot any evidence on your tire statement? See, I understand the reason tractors tend to have smaller tires on the front is not because of any traction benefit (there would not be any in my estimation) but because of steering. Hard to turn big tires. But I am up for learning something new so if you can provide evidence I am all over it.

One other thing that throws me on your statement, the large (I mean huge) farm tractors are articulated in the center and all tires are the same size. If there was value in smaller front tires I am sure we would see it in this type of application where such heavy mass and drage are being pulled.

He was comparing that AC TTR 4400 @ 38 HP to a kubota L3901 when he made this statement

Additionally, the added traction of the equal size tires allows me to convert to turf tread...

The TTR1400 has 4 tires, all the same size. And the size of those 4 tires......same size as the FRONTS on the L3901.

I was pointing out that, 4 equal size tires.....being the same size as the small fronts on a L3901......does NOT equate to added traction as he thinks.

CADplans hit the nail on the head.

Re: Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions

He was comparing that AC TTR 4400 @ 38 HP to a kubota L3901 when he made this statement

The TTR1400 has 4 tires, all the same size. And the size of those 4 tires......same size as the FRONTS on the L3901.

I was pointing out that, 4 equal size tires.....being the same size as the small fronts on a L3901......does NOT equate to added traction as he thinks.

I see the point here, and I failed to cite one in my comparison.

The L3901, even with turf tires, would provide more traction... and thus leads to the point I forgot. The L3901 isn't a compact... it's an entry level utility.

My apologies... so here we go.

Kubota doesn't offer a 38hp compact (at least, not that I could find on their website). Even if they did, their compact series has the much smaller front tires than the AC... and I prefer the balanced traction of equal tire sizes, COMBINED with the low CG, better maneuverability, etc., of a compact. I'm a property owner. That's all I do is property maintenance. I want ONE solution for all my power equipment needs, aside from a trimmer and chainsaw. The AC fits the bill. The L3901, even with turf tires, does not... neither does the any of the Kubota BX series.

Is that better?

Believe me, I'm not against Kubotas. If they would sell an equally equipped model, I would MUCH rather go orange... if but for no other reason than local warranty service.

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #66  
The L3901 is indeed a compact.

You are worried about size and being rough on the lawn.

That AC you quoted.....out weighs the kubota by several hundred pounds. And you are gonna put all that weight on 4 small tires. Any soft ground....you gonna have ruts you likely cannot get out of with turfs

BTW... the 29/12.5 of the AC has considerably more contact patch than the 24/8.5 of the Kubota front tires... so no, they're NOT the same size.

The L3901 is indeed a compact.

You are worried about size and being rough on the lawn.

That AC you quoted.....out weighs the kubota by several hundred pounds. And you are gonna put all that weight on 4 small tires. Any soft ground....you gonna have ruts you likely cannot get out of with turfs
The AC weighs the same 2,770lbs as the Kubota L3901 4wd hst

Allow me to correct the aforementioned price for the Kubota.

Here is a screenshot of the configurator... where I attempted to configure the L3901 as close as possible to the AC specs.

Mind you, this is WITHOUT forward hydraulics, which although warranted by the Kubota's lack of a reversible operation... is not an individual option without the loader purchase. The AC has STANDARD forward hydraulics.

You'll see the total is nearly $25,000... a mere 12% less than the AC.

Furthermore, the AC is also available with 8-line joystick hydraulic control... not a must-have, but definitely on the jewelry list, considering I'll also be purchasing a boom mower, forestry mulcher with power throat, 6-way grade blade, dual-function clamshell bucket, and flail mower with hydralic brush grapple (not in that order).

Screenshot_2016-11-23-17-23-32.png

/ Alternative "sub-compact" tractor solutions #70  

BTW... the 29/12.5 of the AC has considerably more contact patch than the 24/8.5 of the Kubota front tires... so no, they're NOT the same size.

The AC weighs the same 2,770lbs as the Kubota L3901 4wd hst

I certainly wouldnt call that contact patch "considerably" more , especially when compared to the rears of the kubota.

At first glance, I noticed they called for the same size R1 ag tires. I just assumed the turfs would be similar.

As to the weight, I only saw the spec for the cab model for the AC and it was over 3000#. So if you are going without cab, you mat indeed be correct.

But my point remains. Tire size vs weight....the kubota is gonna tread a good bit lighter and offer more "flotation". Whereas the AC would be more like a skid loader....pretty heavy machine for its tire size. Especially for lawn work.