Air suspension seats

/ Air suspension seats #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Since I hurt my back I have been looking at air suspension seats to upgrade my tractors. Does anyone have any experience with Sears Seats Tractor Seats or K&M's seats http://www.tractorseats.com/PDF-F501P.pdf

The seats I linked would be what I would use on my 7710-II. The Sears Seat as lateral isolators in addition to the fore/aft isolators. The K&M doesn't have the lateral isolators. I need the swivel feature also since I am usually twisting to the right so I can keep an eye on the baler and thrower.

So does anyone have any experience with air suspension seats with tractors or trucks? Is there anything I should consider?

The main tractor I need to upgrade the seat on is the 7710-II (assuming I can keep it) and after that I will consider upgrading the TN's seat but that is an open station tractor with canopy. Right now it doesn't have much for a suspension on the seat.

/ Air suspension seats #2  
Robert_in_NY said:
Since I hurt my back I have been looking at air suspension seats to upgrade my tractors. Does anyone have any experience with Sears Seats Tractor Seats or K&M's seats http://www.tractorseats.com/PDF-F501P.pdf

The seats I linked would be what I would use on my 7710-II. The Sears Seat as lateral isolators in addition to the fore/aft isolators. The K&M doesn't have the lateral isolators. I need the swivel feature also since I am usually twisting to the right so I can keep an eye on the baler and thrower.

So does anyone have any experience with air suspension seats with tractors or trucks? Is there anything I should consider?

The main tractor I need to upgrade the seat on is the 7710-II (assuming I can keep it) and after that I will consider upgrading the TN's seat but that is an open station tractor with canopy. Right now it doesn't have much for a suspension on the seat.

I do. I've put air rides in my dumptruck and they're a life saver. I don't know your age, but there comes a time in your life when working in comfort starts to take priority!

I put "Seats Inc" brand high back air rides in my 4800 dump and they make the day's work a lot more tolerable.

Shipping is expensive on seats, so keep that in mind if you can find a local dealer with a seat you like in stock.

I got mine from a local IH dealer on "special" for like $550 each.

My CASE has a very nice suspension seat-not an airride, but very good at absorbing shock with lots of adjustment points. Of course, it swivels around to face the backhoe. It's a "mid-back" suspension seat with adjusments for the armrests, lumbar, height fore/back, recline, weight adjustment, etc. You might want to consider one of these because you don't have on-board air on your rig. If you get an air ride, you'll need to install a noisy compact air compressor, switch & valving, so that also will add more cost & complexity.

/ Air suspension seats
Thanks Builder

I am 29 and would not be too worried about this but I broke my L1 vertebre in October. The vertebre had to be rebuilt and then fused so I have lost some mobility. Since I am normally twisting around to keep an eye on the implements and the baler I watch almost every bale go into the wagon so I can keep an eye on how the baler is working and fill the wagon as best I can. So a good swivel seat is in need even if it isn't an air suspension system. I am curious if I could put a swivel on the Bostrom seat in my 7710 without having to alter anything else. If it doesn't work to my liking I would just transfer it to the TN.

The Sears seat has everything built inside the seat if I understand it correctly. So all I would have to do is bolt it in and run the wire. Total cost for the Sears seat I linked to in the first post was $1388 delivered.

I have a lot more research to do before I decide on anything so right now I am looking for everyones help and suggestions since I am going into this thing blind right now.

/ Air suspension seats #4  
Robert_in_NY said:
Thanks Builder

I am 29 and would not be too worried about this but I broke my L1 vertebre in October. The vertebre had to be rebuilt and then fused so I have lost some mobility. Since I am normally twisting around to keep an eye on the implements and the baler I watch almost every bale go into the wagon so I can keep an eye on how the baler is working and fill the wagon as best I can. So a good swivel seat is in need even if it isn't an air suspension system. I am curious if I could put a swivel on the Bostrom seat in my 7710 without having to alter anything else. If it doesn't work to my liking I would just transfer it to the TN.

The Sears seat has everything built inside the seat if I understand it correctly. So all I would have to do is bolt it in and run the wire. Total cost for the Sears seat I linked to in the first post was $1388 delivered.

I have a lot more research to do before I decide on anything so right now I am looking for everyones help and suggestions since I am going into this thing blind right now.

$1388-YEEOUCH!

I think you could do much better.

...guess a rear camera with monitor on the winshield wouldn't work, huh?

One heads-up about swivel seats-might want to check it out in person before you buy. Some are more difficult than others to unlock so you can swivel to the back. Isn't there a big tractor dealer in your area that has 'em in stock?

/ Air suspension seats
I am not sure if any of the dealers have these in stock as I only started thinking about this about a week ago. And with winter being in full force I am not looking forward to driving very much until we have a good forecast.

So far if I was to replace the entire seat system it is going to cost around $12-$1300 for just the seat system plust the shipping (which is where the $1388 came from). Both companies I linked to are about equal in price.

One of my problems is the fact the seat on the 7710 sits up from the floor some so I need to get the correct height seat otherwise I will be looking out the roof hatch as I drive:(

I am going up to the large Case-IH dealer in a month or so as I have a meeting a mile away from them so I will stop in and talk to the parts guys about it and see what they suggest.

The camera and monitor wouldn't work very well for haying as going around turns you wouldn't see anything. For normal work like tillage, spreading lime and planting I could use the camera and monitor. But for baling I need to see back there so I can see the speed of the thrower, the direction of the thrower, postition of the wagon and how the wagon is being filled. Ideally I would build a tractor that would allow me to operate from a 90 degree seating postion. Similar to a reverse drive Valtra only with one more opearting postition facing the right side window. The only time I need to look forward is on corners. But I think designing and building something only useful for baling will cost more then the air seat with swivel:eek:

/ Air suspension seats #6  
Robert, check out industrialseats.com I think they sell the swivel bases and you may be able to find one that will fit your origninal seat. The only problem might be how much height it will add.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Air suspension seats
They are the guys I am dealing with in regards to the Sears seats. I would prefer a better suspension seat which is why I am looking at the air seats but at the very least I need a swivel of some sort:(

I will talk to them about it though and find out how much height it will add.

/ Air suspension seats #8  
Robert_in_NY said:
They are the guys I am dealing with in regards to the Sears seats. I would prefer a better suspension seat which is why I am looking at the air seats but at the very least I need a swivel of some sort:(

I will talk to them about it though and find out how much height it will add.

I would think an air & swivel seat is available. I know CASE has one. I remember test driving a TEREX backhoe that had one, too.

These seats are all made by the 3 or 4 same companies. Sears, Bostrom, National, etc.

Maybe you oughta call a TEREX dealer and see what they want for their air/swivel seat.

/ Air suspension seats #9  
Robert
I am a diesel mechanic by trade and 99% of all heavy trucks have air ride seats. the company I work for buys rebuilt seats complete for under $200 somewhere in texas,these dont swivel but a lot of truckstops and heavy truck dealerships have them that are much nicer and that do swivel, probally much cheaper than your price but Im not sure, the only thing you would have to do is add 12 volt compressor this may not help you at all but it is just an idea. if there is anything I can do just message me and I will try to help.

/ Air suspension seats #10  
Sears in general has a better seat than Grammar IMHO. Grammar's popularity is largely price-point driven. Also, check out the K&M 1150 Uni Pro air suspension seat. Built in compressor & swivel. The K&M website has dimensions so you can determine if the mount plate to seat cushion height is correct for you and your 7710. Stay away from replacement heavy truck seats; they typically have narrower suspensions than off-road seats. They wont stand up to the lateral loads. You need to buy K&M through a dealer, but if you can't find one locally, PM me if you decide to persue K&M..

Utility, Industrial & Mower Seats Information Guide Page 1