Aftermarket power steering kit

/ Aftermarket power steering kit #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
Has anyone(or anyone you know) purchased one of these "add on" or "conversion" power steering kits? If so, what kind of success did you have with it? Did it come with any instructions, parts I.D. or any paperwork?

Ford / New Holland Power Steering Conversion Kit 2 3 36 361 4 | eBay

A friend recently ordered one similar to this billed as "FD100 kit" from Amazon, and promptly enlisted me to help him install it. I see a dozen or so similar units listed for sale by various suppliers. They all seem to be pretty much the same other than some come with more parts than others.
I've been looking for some information concerning the cylinder/valve unit. We're trying to install the unit in place of an original factory unit on his 4000 three cylinder. So far with absolutely no success. It fits in place of the original, with some slight modifications but it just doesn't seem to work. With the engine off, moving the steering wheel causes the control valve to operate as the old one does, more or less as I would think it should, cancelling back to neutral when the wheel is released. Problem is when the engine is running and the wheel is turned it opens the valve and the cylinder just takes off jerking the steering wheel out of your hands, turning the tires against the stops, and loading the pump against relief. No amount of effort applied to the steering wheel will cancel the pressure until the engine is turned off.
So far the seller has been of no help. With the number of kits, sellers, and most likely buyers out there, surely SOMEONE must have a report on having installed one, along with a review on how it all worked out.

/ Aftermarket power steering kit #2  
Has anyone(or anyone you know) purchased one of these "add on" or "conversion" power steering kits? If so, what kind of success did you have with it? Did it come with any instructions, parts I.D. or any paperwork?

Ford / New Holland Power Steering Conversion Kit 2��� 3��� 36�� 361� 4��� | eBay

A friend recently ordered one similar to this billed as "FD100 kit" from Amazon, and promptly enlisted me to help him install it. I see a dozen or so similar units listed for sale by various suppliers. They all seem to be pretty much the same other than some come with more parts than others.
I've been looking for some information concerning the cylinder/valve unit. We're trying to install the unit in place of an original factory unit on his 4000 three cylinder. So far with absolutely no success. It fits in place of the original, with some slight modifications but it just doesn't seem to work. With the engine off, moving the steering wheel causes the control valve to operate as the old one does, more or less as I would think it should, cancelling back to neutral when the wheel is released. Problem is when the engine is running and the wheel is turned it opens the valve and the cylinder just takes off jerking the steering wheel out of your hands, turning the tires against the stops, and loading the pump against relief. No amount of effort applied to the steering wheel will cancel the pressure until the engine is turned off.
So far the seller has been of no help. With the number of kits, sellers, and most likely buyers out there, surely SOMEONE must have a report on having installed one, along with a review on how it all worked out.

These units are made in Turkey. TRACTOR POWER STEERING KITS That's why they all look so similar. But they are tailored "kits" and so the detailed parts will vary.

I put one of the "Power Assist" cylinders on a Long tractor about ten years ago. The original cylinder had rubbed through and not repairable.
The replacement is working just fine last I heard.

Last year I bought the kit meant for a Fordson Major. I started in to install it on my Fordson E27n. I've been distracted however. Everything regarding the mounting and pump drive will be "special" to say the least. The pump supplied in the kit is just a bit large. I'm thinking of using an automotive PS pump instead.

It sounds like the valve is out of adjustment on your unit. That entire assembly is a bucket of intrigue. Are you positive the lines are plumbed correctly?
In my area, the hydraulics shops don't want to look at them. The Manufacturing Rep here in the States is a dead letter box. No help at all.

/ Aftermarket power steering kit
Thank you. The link you provided may offer some helpful information.

/ Aftermarket power steering kit #4  
I bought a Turkish unit off ebay 3-4 years ago for about 600 bucks. No instructions. Put it on a Ford 3000. Works much better than no PS assist. Installation was pretty straight forward. As with any after market, you have to adapt meaning some things have to change.....and don't forget to set your toe-in when finished. I think there is a Utube video on the subject.

My biggest problem was getting the steering centered so that my circles were the same diameter when turning lock to lock, left side to right side. I wouldn up positioning the deadman bracket farther back than was supposed to be the mounting position. As a result only one bolt of the adapter is attached to the mounting point but that has worked just fine. With about 150 ft-lbs it isn't going anywhere.

Would I do it again? Yes.