Aerating

/ Aerating
   / Aerating #14  
If your question was to me.

In South Carolina we can seed rye any time after the third week of September.
Thanks, was actually asking Haydude, his climate is a little more like mine. Plenty of winters I would like my climate to be more like yours:)

Best,

ed

/ Aerating
I would aerate first, but that field was aerated and not seeded.
We no-till drilled other fields.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

/ Aerating #16  
I would aerate first, but that field was aerated and not seeded.
We no-till drilled other fields.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear.
I think you are clear, I am just dense, do you have bermuda or some kind of spreading grass? In all my years we never did any work on brome or fescue without seeding.

Thanks,

ed

/ Aerating
I think you are clear, I am just dense, do you have bermuda or some kind of spreading grass? In all my years we never did any work on brome or fescue without seeding.

Thanks,

ed
I have disled-in timothy and no-till drilled it as well. Also, orchard grass and endophyte-free fescue.
One of my favorite grasses is reeds canary grass for a strong, spreading grass on tough ground or wet ground.

Last edited:
   / Aerating #18  
   / Aerating
Interesting. Is this the first year you have done aerating? I have been comparing Aerway and Ranch Works for possible future purchase. On long term hay I believe it would be good to break the surface just unsure how much value vs cost it really provides.
I have been doing it for about 10-12 years. The unit in the pic is a rental. It’s very cheap to rent. Never have felt the need to own one, but it was offered to me to buy.

Last edited:
   / Aerating #20  
I have been doing it for about 10-12 years. The unit in the pic is a rental. It’s very cheap to rent. Never have felt the need to own one, but it was offered to me to buy.
On an old hayfield what do you notice different the next year? Better drainage, yield, or both assuming aerating is the only thing you did to the field