Aerating

/ Aerating #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Been aerating some of my fields last few days.
Took a few photos.

1667427772303.jpeg

1667427821011.jpeg

1667427871646.jpeg

/ Aerating #2  
as a commercial operator do you honestly feel it makes a difference in the yield of the fields by the time you factor in fuel costs? or are you just doing it because customers are asking for it and you get paid so it is a win-win.

I have done my lawn a few times over the last 14 years and can't really say I noticed the difference but that was with no fertilizer applications. I always seem to think, atleast for northern climates, that the frost probably does more good than aerating but it certainly can't hurt.

/ Aerating #3  
hook a drag on the back of that aerator and you wont even see the carrots left behind. (if the customer complains)

/ Aerating
as a commercial operator do you honestly feel it makes a difference in the yield of the fields by the time you factor in fuel costs? or are you just doing it because customers are asking for it and you get paid so it is a win-win.

I have done my lawn a few times over the last 14 years and can't really say I noticed the difference but that was with no fertilizer applications. I always seem to think, atleast for northern climates, that the frost probably does more good than aerating but it certainly can't hurt.
I’m in the process of rehabbing about 40 acres for a customer. The aerating was done to try to reverse a lot of years of neglect from previous farming practices.

/ Aerating #6  
I’ve always wanted to aerate our plac, but I went to a county extension workshop on compact and the said that it doesn’t really help it just works the top few inches of a pasture.

They said that planting annual plants works good. The roots penetrate they break up hard pan and when they die they allow water to penetrate as well as adding organic material to the soil.

l’ve been planting annual rye for this reason.

/ Aerating #7  
I core aerate my 5 acres at least once, if not twice a year. Really helps with compaction, and getting nutrients down to the roots of the grass. Have a fair amount of clay, so compaction is a problem.

If I overseed with rye, then I have to mow it 2-3 times in winter. Not crazy about that, but to each his own.

/ Aerating #8  
I core aerate my 5 acres at least once, if not twice a year. Really helps with compaction, and getting nutrients down to the roots of the grass. Have a fair amount of clay, so compaction is a problem.

If I overseed with rye, then I have to mow it 2-3 times in winter. Not crazy about that, but to each his own.
It’s winter forage for grazing and cuts down on hay purchases.

/ Aerating #9  
It’s winter forage for grazing and cuts down on hay purchases.
That makes a ton of sense then. My acres are all bermuda grass, as in a "lawn", not pasture.

/ Aerating #10  
Are you seeding now?

Best,

ed