advice using plasma cutter

/ advice using plasma cutter #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
Hi, yesterday got a 40 amp plasma cutter, never used one, was allways told they were ausome for fabrication work, with all the knoledge on this site could I get some tips on how best to use this machine

/ advice using plasma cutter #2  
What sort of plasma cutter did you get? Make sure you have very dry air, it will make the tips last much longer.

/ advice using plasma cutter #4  
Make sure you have an air dryer and oil and oil mist remover. I have two inline.

Make sure you are running the correct air pressure (usually about 90 psi), A little lower for gouging.

If thin metal you can pierce cut (start in the middle of surface) if thick you should start at edge. Your 40 amp should pierce around 3/8"

Start slightly higher (1/8") when pierce cutting to keep back splash of metal from getting on consumables. Once pierced, lower to very close

In the beginning try to keep the torch at exactly 90* straight down (later you can try cutting on an angle)

Your cut spatter should trail your cut at a slight angle, if the spatter is straight down you are going to slow, if your spatter comes up you are moving to fast or not using enough power.

Practice, practice practice.

/ advice using plasma cutter #5  
Plasma Cutters are most certainly not created equally. Some can not drag cut, Some can drag at 60 amps right on the tip. Some run on very low air pressure and some need 8 cfm. To help you with yours, You may need to add some info. You will enjoy it no matter what.

/ advice using plasma cutter #6  
never cut free hand use a guide even a card board guide will work. If you try free hand you can see your heart beat in the edge of the cut. I say this but my hand is not a steady as it was when I was younger. The cut is 1/8 or so from the timplet so any thing will work.

/ advice using plasma cutter #7  
never cut free hand use a guide even a card board guide will work. If you try free hand you can see your heart beat in the edge of the cut. I say this but my hand is not a steady as it was when I was younger. The cut is 1/8 or so from the timplet so any thing will work.

True that!!!!!

/ advice using plasma cutter #8  
Clean dry air and clean your metal (particularly dirty/rusty steel) before cutting. Like everyone else practice makes perfect. I've use a low end HF for years and with a new tip can cut 1/2". Wouldn't normally recommend that as you will go through tips. A good solid power source i.e. if 220V capable of at least 10 amps greater than what the cutter requires. Good cfm's on your compressor so that it's not running continuously. Did I say practice:)

Good luck.

/ advice using plasma cutter #9  
I also agree with always using a guide for straight cuts makes life much easier, i usually use a piece of angle iron clamped to work peice when i am cutting 3/8 or bigger plate..recently i have been cutting 1/2..I also found that using a stand-off helped quite a bit in thicker material to extend tip life..

/ advice using plasma cutter #10  
I bolted a piece of aluminum angle to the brass bar on my magnetic burning square. Works great on steel, but the magnets don't hold very well to aluminum or stainless steel, maybe they're wore out?:confused2:

Attachments

• Burning square 2.JPG
    Burning square 2.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Burning square plasma.JPG
    Burning square plasma.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 240