Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Ads #41  
Well, just for the record, I have the same problems.
These ads are data hogs on my poor internet service.
Yes, I have Adblock installed.

/ Ads #42  
Thank you for knocking the feet out from under some people. Honestly, most people will just go somewhere else when a site proves to be too burdensome to use. I don't know how many sites over the years that I have visited just once and never went back to because of their overzealous use of ads or just poor management of their network server settings.

Others likely don't even frequent other sites, so they think what they are seeing is just normal for a message board on the internet. More likely they go running back to facebook where they are more comfortable.

If I felt ambitious enough, I would set up the camcorder and create a video to show exactly what I am talking about. But thinking about it, raw proof rarely benefits or has any impact on anyone that already has their mind set in concrete. So in the meantime I will limit my posting to times (like right now) when the site is working fine, and just be a lurker when it chokes up. But even then, viewing posts in threads is pretty choppy when it takes several seconds for the next section to become viewable when scrolling through a thread.

/ Ads #43  
Agreed! There is a big banner ad at the top of the page.
A quarter page ad on the right side. And across the page banners under every other posting.

When a posting has photos or videos inside, I usually just go to another site. There might be something I should be doing, but I just don't know what to do.

/ Ads #44  
Please provide your operating system version, device type, and browser version so we can attempt to replicate any issues. The more info you can provide the better we can help.

/ Ads #45  
Please provide your operating system version, device type, and browser version so we can attempt to replicate any issues. The more info you can provide the better we can help.
I would suggest looking at your admin panel for this forum software and see how caching and buffering is being handled. Many really active sites can get choked up during peak activity times because of all the update pointers for each and every user reading a thread that has those "last read" pointers stored in the database.

Are you leasing your own server, or being hosted by a third party hosting company?

If you are leasing your own server, talk to your server admins. See what sort of buffering is being used for the base server software (usually PHP) and ask them to up the amount of memory used for that function. Too little memory causes too many page requests to be stored on the hard drive, which is MUCH slower than system RAM. If you have an old server, consider upgrading to a new machine that uses M. 2 NVMe SSD for the OS level software.

And please, analyze your ad loading. Especially dynamic ones that will refresh with a new ad frequently in the same zones. Each and every one of them will be stealing bandwidth from your viewers. Static ads only need to be loaded once and are a lot less of a drain on the bandwidth. Bear in mind, too, that every ad has a cost to you in bandwidth. Yeah, it is great having income from them, but there is a point of diminishing returns that can be hard to recover from when you start losing participants.

IMHO.

/ Ads #46  
I would suggest looking at your admin panel for this forum software and see how caching and buffering is being handled. Many really active sites can get choked up during peak activity times because of all the update pointers for each and every user reading a thread that has those "last read" pointers stored in the database.

Are you leasing your own server, or being hosted by a third party hosting company?

If you are leasing your own server, talk to your server admins. See what sort of buffering is being used for the base server software (usually PHP) and ask them to up the amount of memory used for that function. Too little memory causes too many page requests to be stored on the hard drive, which is MUCH slower than system RAM. If you have an old server, consider upgrading to a new machine that uses M. 2 NVMe SSD for the OS level software.

And please, analyze your ad loading. Especially dynamic ones that will refresh with a new ad frequently in the same zones. Each and every one of them will be stealing bandwidth from your viewers. Static ads only need to be loaded once and are a lot less of a drain on the bandwidth. Bear in mind, too, that every ad has a cost to you in bandwidth. Yeah, it is great having income from them, but there is a point of diminishing returns that can be hard to recover from when you start losing participants.

IMHO.

/ Ads #47  
The webpage is moving a lot faster this afternoon... I had blamed the slow speed on my marvelous ISP but may have been mistaken.

/ Ads #49  
You are barking up the wrong tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.