Adjustable air bags

/ Adjustable air bags #1  

rd_macgregor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC, Kubota B2650
I'm considering adding a pump and adjustable air bags to my wife's RAM Ecodiesel truck. The truck has a great ride empty, but squats too much when loaded/trailering. While I'd certainly like to level the ride a bit (and keep the headlights on the road!), I also wondered if these air bags/shocks can be used to ease trailer parking.
My idea was to pump up the bags (thereby raising the back of the truck and the trailer tongue), put blocks under the trailer jack, then unsnap the hitch, safety chains, etc. and lower the truck leaving the trailer supported on the blocks...and, thereby saving myself a lot of cranking on the trailer jack. Reversing the process should also work for hooking back up.
Will this work as I've envisioned it?

/ Adjustable air bags #2  
I'm considering adding a pump and adjustable air bags to my wife's RAM Ecodiesel truck. The truck has a great ride empty, but squats too much when loaded/trailering. While I'd certainly like to level the ride a bit (and keep the headlights on the road!), I also wondered if these air bags/shocks can be used to ease trailer parking. My idea was to pump up the bags (thereby raising the back of the truck and the trailer tongue), put blocks under the trailer jack, then unsnap the hitch, safety chains, etc. and lower the truck leaving the trailer supported on the blocks...and, thereby saving myself a lot of cranking on the trailer jack. Reversing the process should also work for hooking back up. Will this work as I've envisioned it?

This is my complaint with Rams also.

I added a set of bags to a truck and I doubt you het more than 2" of movement. Not enough to make using the trailer jack a part of the equation.

Chris

/ Adjustable air bags #3  
You can use an air bag system, helper springs, air shocks, timbren suspension etc. Quite a number of ways to beef up your rear suspension. For the trailer, replace the jack with a 12V electric trailer jack.

/ Adjustable air bags #4  
Air bags are great but like stated they probably won't work that way.
I had a 1973 Buick Riviera back in the 70's that I towed a boat and an Offroad Dunebuggie with it when I lived in Cincinnati.
The air shocks made all the difference in the world! That car would bottom out without them.
I ordered the shocks from JC Whitney back then for $38.00 . When I got them they were DELCO PLEASUREIZERS!!! You never knew what you were getting from Whitney!

/ Adjustable air bags #5  
I have run firestone airbags on every truck for the last 10 years. Look into the daystar cradles for a better ride unloaded.

Brett

/ Adjustable air bags #6  
Other way around for me,my 2011 Ford F250 squatted under load of my 20 ft bumper pull trailer.My 2016 ram 2500 does not squat as much under load like my ford did.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 131
  • Ford Truck 002.jpg
    Ford Truck 002.jpg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 121
   / Adjustable air bags #7  
Somewhere on my to do list is making an adapter that allows me to turn the trailer jack with a cordless drill. If you wanted something more elegant you could get 12 volt powered jacks. I'm pretty sure my drill powered jacks will be faster and I know they will be cheaper.

/ Adjustable air bags #8  
I had Firestone air bags on my 15 F250. The bags themselves are great the brackets are junk. Bent them up twice and that was without any heavy loads. First time the sent replacements, second time they sent replacements and a reinforcement bracket. No idea why this wasn't included from the beginning. The bags are nice but kind of hassle to be adjusting all the time. If I have the need again I will try something like the sumo springs that are like air bags without air.

/ Adjustable air bags #9  
I had Firestone air bags on my 15 F250. The bags themselves are great the brackets are junk. Bent them up twice and that was without any heavy loads. First time the sent replacements, second time they sent replacements and a reinforcement bracket. No idea why this wasn't included from the beginning. The bags are nice but kind of hassle to be adjusting all the time. If I have the need again I will try something like the sumo springs that are like air bags without air.

I went through the same thing with a Ram 2500 then a F250. I then got smart and bought a SRW F350. The right truck is the fix, not bolt on's!

Chris

/ Adjustable air bags #10  
I have often wondered why more pickups do not come with air bags as at least an option from the factory. HD commercial semi's have been using complete air ride systems for decades for both tractor and trailer. A commercial semi truck, the ride height is the same empty or with 47,000 lb of freight in the trailer. They are self adjusting on pressure via a ride height leveling valve. It would not be hard for the OEM's to include a electric air pump setup tied to the air bags along with ride height leveler to enable a air bag system that is reliable and self adjusting.