Adding power steering and power beyond question.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #21  
A couple of pictures of how the front pump was setup on a David Brown that I had for a while.

The shiny bolts at the bottom of the radiator in this picture are where the driveshaft was bolted to the crank pulley:
View attachment 785756
Overall view of the pump in place:
View attachment 785758

The misalignment coupling on the pump:
View attachment 785757
Thought I had one of the pump driveshaft, but I dont see it.
IIRC the flange that bolted to the crank pulley looked sort of like this: McMaster-Carr
View attachment 785760

Aaron Z
Am I seeing those photos correctly? It looks like the air cleaner is plumbed to run through the radiator!

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #22  
Am I seeing those photos correctly? It looks like the air cleaner is plumbed to run through the radiator!
You are indeed, both the air intake and the drive shaft for the front hydraulic pump run through the radiator.
They each have their own pass through pipe that they run in.
Here's another picture of the top of the radiator showing that:
IMG_20191016_201312599.jpg

Aaron Z

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #23  
You are indeed, both the air intake and the drive shaft for the front hydraulic pump run through the radiator.
They each have their own pass through pipe that they run in.
Here's another picture of the top of the radiator showing that:
View attachment 786017

Aaron Z
Amazing. But then I realized... David Brown.... British Design....and somehow I'm less surprised.

Maybe it comes from owning a Rover, an MG, and various British bikes: Norton, RE, Triumph, BSA.
Several of which featured spark provided - irratically - by the famous Lucas "insideout magneto".

So a radiator with purpose-built holes in it to accomodate things up front that block the airflow almost seems normal. ....except it isn't really normal at all.

rScotty

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #24  
Amazing. But then I realized... David Brown.... British Design....and somehow I'm less surprised.

Maybe it comes from owning a Rover, an MG, and various British bikes: Norton, RE, Triumph, BSA.
Several of which featured spark provided - irratically - by the famous Lucas "insideout magneto".

So a radiator with purpose-built holes in it to accomodate things up front that block the airflow almost seems normal. ....except it isn't really normal at all.

rScotty
A radiator with a pass through at the bottom for a shaft to drive a hydraulic pump was fairly common in that era.
I don't know how common a pass-through for the air going to the intake of the engine was.

Aaron Z

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #25  
A radiator with a pass through at the bottom for a shaft to drive a hydraulic pump was fairly common in that era.
I don't know how common a pass-through for the air going to the intake of the engine was.

Aaron Z
Somehow I hear the voice of my grandma, "Scotty, if you think that way, you'll end up thinking something is right just because others are doing it."

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #26  
Scotty, I know it looks strange but I think that it serves a purpose and the only down-side is that it makes any radiator repair/replacement more difficult/expensive. In fact probably much more expensive to replace!

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #27  
Scotty, I know it looks strange but I think that it serves a purpose and the only down-side is that it makes any radiator repair/replacement more difficult/expensive. In fact probably much more expensive to replace!
Depends, if the end tanks are still good, a radiator shop can replace the core, probably for less than a new radiator.

Aaron Z

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #28  
aczlan, yes you are right, but, that is only "IF" you happen to be able to find a shop that does that sort of work anymore! Nowadays it's pull out and replace - not repair - at least in my neck of the woods.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #29  
Depends, if the end tanks are still good, a radiator shop can replace the core, probably for less than a new radiator.

Aaron Z
Yes, radiator work is not difficult. Just picky. When I was a kid it was a common job that mechanics were expected to know - at least roughly how to do. Some were better than others. Judging by that tractor, his poor radiator has been used for practice by more than one beginner. But if it doesn't leak, that's really the test.

Luckily there are still a number of shops in the western US that do full service repair. They are more likely to be independent repair shops than dealerships. But they are still out there.

It's just marvelous to me that we can look at something like that radiator and have a pretty good idea of where it was designed.

/ Adding power steering and power beyond question. #30  
Luckily there are still a number of shops in the western US that do full service repair. They are more likely to be independent repair shops than dealerships. But they are still out there.
Just as an aside I have a friend who owns a rad shop that will build you a custom radiator. He buys the right sized core and then builds the tanks. All out of brass. Ya not cheap.