Adding LED work lights to B7800

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #1  

twodogs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I received some LED work lights as a gift to add to my tractor. I have 2 rectangular, and 2 square, but I don't plan on using all 4 at this time. I think I will mount the rectangular on my front bumper, and the square on my bracket for the slow-moving vehicle triangle.

Rather than add new wiring and a switch, I would like to set it up on my existing headlight switch (front), and turn signal switch (rear light). Is this a feasible option? Admittedly, I know nothing about wiring, which is why I am here asking the question.

Thanks in advance for the information!

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #2  
As long as the added amperage doesn't exceed the fuse rating you should be able to use the existing headlight circuit. The turn signal will likely have a flasher installed, which would not play nice with the rear light.
I rarely tie into existing wiring, and run separate circuits for most accessories.

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #3  
The B7800 has an aux work light circuit with a separate fuse. The connector is usually taped to the wire bundle leading up to the right rear fender. The circuit is hot when the ignition key is turned on.

The fuse block should have a slot marked "work light". It usually has a 5 amp fuse. If you use this circuit, check the amp rating on your new LED lights. The wiring may not be able to handle much more than 5 amps.

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800
Thanks for the replies!

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #5  
I would be hesitant to add to the front bumper unless it's very well protected, especially if you have a loader

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #6  
The B7800 has an aux work light circuit with a separate fuse. The connector is usually taped to the wire bundle leading up to the right rear fender. The circuit is hot when the ignition key is turned on.

The fuse block should have a slot marked "work light". It usually has a 5 amp fuse. If you use this circuit, check the amp rating on your new LED lights. The wiring may not be able to handle much more than 5 amps.
Correct. I use that connector to power the tank sprayer on my B7800. The pump draws 10A so it should not be an issue.

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #7  
The intended after dark usage of the tractor would affect the mounting locations of the lights. If you have a loader or front snow plow, the grille wouldn't be my first choice. ROPS (and front of cab) mounted lights for loader and snowplowing were OK, but were less than desirable for mowing. For mowing, the higher-mounted LED lights, although VERY bright*, lack the definition that my old halogens had. There's a pair of LEDs in my grille for mowing. The light from them rakes out over the grass making it easier to see the cut/uncut line.

With the ROPS I had glare from the lights shining on the backs of my eyeglasses. They made the hood too bright and that interfered with seeing out in front.

* Floods are best, but regardless of the chosen pattern, LEDs are annoyingly bright to anyone who isn't on the tractor. You can blind zombies a mile away:)

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800
Thanks again folks!

I do have a FEL that I use to move snow in the winter. Mounting the lights to the ROPS facing forward was a bit blinding to me.

The rear racing lights actually contain an amber signal light too, so I may be able to use that work light as a signal light too.

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #9  
As long as the added amperage doesn't exceed the fuse rating you should be able to use the existing headlight circuit. The turn signal will likely have a flasher installed, which would not play nice with the rear light.
I rarely tie into existing wiring, and run separate circuits for most accessories.
Additionally, make sure your alternator or dynamo (whatever you have) is of sufficient output to cover the additional load.

/ Adding LED work lights to B7800 #10  
The intended after dark usage of the tractor would affect the mounting locations of the lights. If you have a loader or front snow plow, the grille wouldn't be my first choice. ROPS (and front of cab) mounted lights for loader and snowplowing were OK, but were less than desirable for mowing. For mowing, the higher-mounted LED lights, although VERY bright*, lack the definition that my old halogens had. There's a pair of LEDs in my grille for mowing. The light from them rakes out over the grass making it easier to see the cut/uncut line.

With the ROPS I had glare from the lights shining on the backs of my eyeglasses. They made the hood too bright and that interfered with seeing out in front.

* Floods are best, but regardless of the chosen pattern, LEDs are annoyingly bright to anyone who isn't on the tractor. You can blind zombies a mile away:)

You have a lot of experience with light placement and I don't so a question. I am thinking of getting some LED lights for snow plowing. Most of my night time plowing is limited to times when I have to keep up with a big storm and it is snowing. I know what it is like using high beams during a storm and all you can see is big flakes coming at you. I am wondering where you think the best mounting place would be on my tractor for plowing during a storm at night. Just picture a plow on it instead of a grapple. I am lucky in that I can put them most any height out in front of me. Thanks.

23_3_25-5.JPG

gg