Ballast Adapting the Rockshaft

/ Adapting the Rockshaft #1  

Paulza

Tractor
JD 455
I'm a first time member but many time reader so if this is the wrong forum for my question please let me know.
I have a JD 455 with newly attached 40 loader and would like to add a rear ballast box without the expense of a 3 point hitch setup, thus 2 questions.
1. Would it be feasible to weld 2 short brackets to the existing rockshaft to lift a box? (My current rockshaft is just the bar with a bracket to the hydraulic cylinder.) I would of course add stabilizing bars to keep the box from swinging.
2. The hydraulic cylinder lockout valve I need to add to seperate the loader function from the mower deck and rockshaft hydraulics. Must that be installed at the hydraulic coupler block as shown for the JD valve or can it be installed at the rear cylinder like the inexpensive valve being sold on ebay? Is one valve all I need?
I hope this all makes sense and thanks.

/ Adapting the Rockshaft #2  
:welcome:
Can't answer the lockout valve question, as I just use the one Deere supplies.
What are they selling for on eBay?

As to the weight, I'd just bolt two plates onto the rear frame through the numerous bolt holes already there, and weld on (or pin on) a ballast box.
I built a weight bracket doing this, to hang suitcase weights on back there. Don't see any reason to do anything with the "rockshaft" as it is too lightweight for ballast hanging off it ( Is it item one in the attached pic? ).

Attachments

• 455_rockshaft.JPG
    455_rockshaft.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 314
   / Adapting the Rockshaft
Thanks for the response.
The lowest price I have found for valves on ebay is +/- $75.
Regarding the ballast box, I'd rather attach it in a way where it can be removed easily when fully for mowing. If the existing rockshaft is too weak I could possibly replace the entire shaft.
Any thoughts?

/ Adapting the Rockshaft #4  
Paul: you might try this post on the John Deere Lawn & Garden forum.

/ Adapting the Rockshaft
:confused2:Thanks CCSial and Beenthere for your help.
Accepting that the existing rockshaft is not strong enough for my planned use, I priced a rockshaft off a new 3 point hitch setup. A complete hitch costs $567, the rockshaft if purchased seperately costs $465.
I guess it's back to the drawingboard for me.

/ Adapting the Rockshaft #6  
I just completed installing the 3pt hitch kit and 540 pto on my X749 two weeks ago. When you install the 3pt hitch the lifting mechanism is changed up alot. The hydraulic cylinder is turned around so that it directly engages the 3pt hitch and uses a flatbar strap to lift the lighter mower deck. This kit is I think the same configuration for your 455 mower.

I would suggest that if weight is your only concern that the cheaper and more simple way to go is to add a mounting for suitcase weights on the rear. Surely lifting on and off some 42 lb weights when you need them is a simple and easy task.