A Tracked Zero Turn????

/ A Tracked Zero Turn???? #21  
Just like most ZTRs nowadays there is no pivoting front axle. My ZTR is up on the wrong 3 wheels at times. That means one-wheel-drive on much uneven ground that my older CC didn't struggle with to get an even cut. Ferris and Country Clipper offer models that retain the feature. IMO for >$10k it should be a standard.

/ A Tracked Zero Turn???? #22  
   / A Tracked Zero Turn???? #23  
Nice machine, but after 8 hours of mowing slopes, youd be really beat up

Buy the sit down version

3ACF9C86-2179-4522-ABAC-9430021B006B.jpeg

/ A Tracked Zero Turn???? #24  
Buying anything expensive made by MTD sends chills down my spine.

/ A Tracked Zero Turn???? #25  
1. it's not the first zero turn on tracks, the robomower from Germany is from what I remember.

2. no matter the size rubber tracks will tear up a lawn due to the tracks lacking enough surface area to reduce the ground pressure per square inch-bigger tracks equals less ground pressure per square inch. Wetter ground needs bigger tracks for greater floatation and adhesion.
a. tracks with steel spikes aid in holding the robomower in place when mowing steep slopes above 15 degrees or using when a snow blower to increase the tractive effort and increasing adhesion when driving into deep snowpack.

3. you can install mattrack tracks on a ventrac articulating lawn mower you just need the right size model and it has to be a wider track to reduce the ground pressure per square inch.

4. in my opinion, foolishly they figure they can get away mowing across a slope that is greater than 15 degrees and that is downright foolish and only inviting an injury to the operator or death of the operator.

5. slope mowers like the radio controlled spyder and radio controlled robomower can start at 40K and go beyond 60K with attachments.
a. the spyder mower has a rope winch to allow it to be anchored above the mower and mow across very steep slopes and the winch winds the rope up to allow the spyder mower to essentially climb the slope as it mows at the same time. The spyder mower comes standard with a rotary mower and it can be equipped with a belly flail mower as well from what I remember.
b. the engine of the spyder mower uses a pressurized lubrication system to maintain the flow of crank case oil for the engine as all times and while mowing slopes above 15 degrees.
c. the engines used on the robomower models from Germany rest in a cradle that tilts in relation to the angle of the slope it is mowing or clearing heavy brush with a flail mower or flail forestry mower.

6. the video showing the turning radius of an altoz and a ventrac is misleading BECAUSE the turning radius of the ventrac is larger due to the design of the articulating steering system that can not zero turn as it has 4 or 8 wheels.

7. mowing wet turf with any mower is an invitation for trouble especially without a tilt meter.

8. conveniently they neglected/did not wish to compare the slope mowers that allow the operators station and the mower deck to tilt to remain horizontal in relation to the angle of the slope being mowed.

Truth in advertising goes a long way in the scheme of things; but money talks and cow manure only gets forked/shoveled on a 400 bushel manure spreader with a broken drag chain; AND you still have to fork the manure out of the entire manure spreader to find the break in the drag chain to get to the chain and fix the broken link or links.
I wonder how much j&g landscaping was paid to be a spokesman in their low cost commercial?

In the scheme of things a real slope mower is the Harper ATM72LC and the older Deweze slope mowers

My thoughts anyway.

Attachments

• atm-feature-angle.c1edf20704fa.jpg
    atm-feature-angle.c1edf20704fa.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 156
   / A Tracked Zero Turn????
I finally got a chance to look at a few of these today, including the stand on version. Explained my slope situation and the guy said it should handle it fine. He was going to let me run one, but it was too wet in their field. Offered to bring one out the house though for a demo.

Base price is in the $23K range though which isn't in my realm of reality.

Edit ....

Plus with all the weight towards the back, I wasn't convinced they wouldn't go wheels up when climbing a hill. Guy said there was an optional 700 pound weight kit that could be added to the front.

Last edited:
   / A Tracked Zero Turn???? #29  
You can buy smooth turf tracks for skidsteers

CCEB8451-1CFF-4DE4-B44E-FEE41FA7CB51.jpeg

/ A Tracked Zero Turn???? #30  
You can buy smooth turf tracks for skidsteers

View attachment 741365

I looked at those about 15 years ago. They had a video of doing donuts on a putting green and you couldn't see any damage. IIRC, the edges of the tracks are chamfered with a shallow angle to ride up when skidding sideways. Probably not much good on a side slope though.