A timber frame cabin memoir

/ A timber frame cabin memoir
I just got a quote from the lumber yard for Andersen windows 100 series(?) Just over 12K yikes. I knew it would be high but not that high. So I was thinking of removing the rear corner windows completely and then replacing the 2 center trapezoid windows with 2 standard opening windows. It saves me a few grand. Nobody will ever see the back of the house is it goes steeply up a hill. My other issue is he thought they could mate a trapezoid with an opening window. It sounds like what he thought they could do, they can't. The top half of the front of the house is the same but will leave it alone as everyone will see it and it's part of the house look. If I go the route I'm suggesting I will have two side by side windows I can open for natural air flow low to high. There is a loft floor in the upper 2/3's. I can open first floor windows on a nice day and get some ventilation.

Attachments

• Remove back windows before.jpg
    Remove back windows before.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Remove back windows.jpg
    Remove back windows.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 23
   / A timber frame cabin memoir #92  
I think that you will be much happier with windows that open upstairs in back. Better air flow. I would go crank open for the same reason, twice the area.

All the best, Peter

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #93  
Agreed on replacing the back windows with standard units. Also, with Anderson, I found the big box stores will beat the lumber yards by a large margin especially if you get into the 400 series. Also have them quote the whole house exterior doors and windows for a better deal.

Anderson are 100-200-400 then A Series architectural windows. If you stick with standard sizes there isn't a huge delta in cost - its when you get into customs like you have/had it gets pricey very quickly .

So stick with one size/opening as much as possible as it really saves cost in framing, trim, screens, and all around much easier.

Agreed on replacing the back windows with standard units. Also, with Anderson, I found the big box stores will beat the lumber yards by a large margin especially if you get into the 400 series. Also have them quote the whole house exterior doors and windows for a better deal.

Anderson are 100-200-400 then A Series architectural windows. If you stick with standard sizes there isn't a huge delta in cost - its when you get into customs like you have/had it gets pricey very quickly .

So stick with one size/opening as much as possible as it really saves cost in framing, trim, screens, and all around much easier.
Small town lumber yard has beat the DIY stores like Advantech OSB for example but worth a shot.
I went to a bigger town to talk to Meeks lumber (chain). I thought he would quote the 3 exterior doors too but not sure why he didn't. Also the place where I got my OSB is closer (smaller town) and I recall he is an Andersen dealer. My dad always put Pella in the two homes my parents built. I've seen cheap windows like in the neighbors cabin i was renting until today. Latches seem wonky...plastic screen install tabs break off easily. The young guy at Meeks did say my sizes were standard so just frame it out to those dimensions. The only goof with my timber frame designer and the window guy was using a 38x48 all around but not accounting for bath/kitchen backsplashes.

I think that you will be much happier with windows that open upstairs in back. Better air flow. I would go crank open for the same reason, twice the area.

All the best, Peter
I like the crank out idea for the loft ones. I would have never thought of that.

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #96  
I like the crank out idea for the loft ones. I would have never thought of that.
Years of living in non-AC homes! Having two stories, or more, can make a pretty strong chimney effect even if there isn't much wind.

All the best,

Peter

/ A timber frame cabin memoir #97  
Yes the devll's in the details - my neighbor/friend is a builder did a 1.2M build last year and the architect did the same thing in BR and kitchen so this seems to happen a lot!

Just frame it up and you will be fine - and I agree, a good window is worth the $ - Pella/Anderson etc. but dont overlook other good windows like Simonton etc. too.

Seems most basic windows are around $400 then go up from there. So if you have 20-25 windows in a house its 8-12K minimum.