A sad day on the farm

/ A sad day on the farm
I just moved my property insurance to State Farm. Now you give me pause. I'll approach this with more diligence. Any suggestions to the questions I should ask to verify validity of the company?
Richard, the only input I could add to this is State Farm like most insurance companies are trying to sell you a product and will tell you a lot of stuff just to get the deal. Things change though when you read the fine print. They will tell you a lot of stuff but there is a lot of stuff they don't tell you.
Another thing is most people call for insurance they are looking for the best price they can get and with insurance as with most anything else you buy that may not be a good thing. Most people that buy insurance don't ever have a problem. I know I did have State Farm for 15 years and never used it until that hurricane blew my roof off. I had a tree limb sticking in my roof and about 1/5 of the shingles had been blown off. When the adjuster came out all he said they would do is patch where the limb went through and replace the shingles that were blown off. I asked him; Do you know how that would look? He said it doesn't matter, that's cosmetic and State Farm does not cover cosmetic damage. I politely asked him to get the!#*^ off my property and went in the house. I got on the phone to State Farm and talked to my agent just to see if that's the way it was going to be. At first he didn't have an answer and he would get back to me then I told him don't worry about it just call this number and talk to them about it. That was my lawyers number and even then it took them over a month to decide they would pay for a new roof. And as I said awhile back, by then they had to also pay for most of floor covering on the first floor and two room up stairs.
I never thought about anything ever happening and when I was talking to them about insurance All I asked for was insurance and they never mentioned rider policies or anything else they just sold me insurance. And that's how it is with most people that go out looking for insurance.
You at this point should already know what can happen and what questions to ask. Now that don't mean everything will be peaches and cream if something does happen because some of these insurance companies have a section of really fine print they can fall back on.
When shopping anything that is expensive like insurance, it's a good idea to check reviews and do a little research on what it is you are about to buy. Here is a little sample of what I came up with: State Farm Auto Insurance 2022 Reviews | ConsumerAffairs

/ A sad day on the farm
Well I am finally getting somewhere. This whole affair has driven me almost over the cliff. Before I did go off I decided to take a couple days and forget about this whole mess. My oldest son, myself and a few friends hunted the last two days of rabbit hunting season. My, my what a couple days in the woods with friends will do for an exploding head. WE killed a few rabbits, drank some beer after the hunts and sat around until after dark just talking, kidding and joking one another about who was the best shot, and the who was the worst along with just about anything else you could ever jab the guy or gal next to you with. I really needed that because I missed most of deer season and that after the hunt time is the most important part of the hunt.

When I got back I found out that the finance company could not take it any longer and sent our check back just to get my wife off their backs. That wife of mine is like an old snapping turtle when she sets her mind to it. She will latch on and not let up until something breaks........don't ask me how I know.:eek:
She stayed on them people from morning til night calling them 3, sometimes 4 or 5 times a day until they couldn't stand it any more. When I got home she handed me the check stub as she had already went to the bank. I asker her how did you manage that, she just said this squeeky wheel finally wore them down.
There was a minor detail that threw a kink in the plan though, because they would only turn over $5,000.00 when 3 days had passed and the rest would be available in 15 days. At leaste I have the money somewhere and can now order my building. Now all I have to do is get the concrete man on the job so we can get started.

I mainly put up this theard to, maybe bring to the attention of many here as to what can happen and how maybe the best way to deal with it. The main thing is to not get excited and never give up. I'll have to admit I was almost at the end of the tunnel, but then there was light and things are looking brighter. Thanks to all you guys that have put up with me over this past few weeks you have been a great help in helping me deal with this.

/ A sad day on the farm
Well I haven't been back in awhile I've been really busy but I guess it's time for an update. I got my flool poured finally and that went ok all exceot the follr developed several cracks that I really don't like but it's nothing I can do about it now.
About a week after it was poured the guy's came by to start my new building and it was slow for a few days because of the rains we had. they pulled out for a week or so to finish another job they had and Wed. this week thay came back and went to work. There is only two guys working at this right now but boy do they get it done. In just two and a half days and they are already putting up siding. They have to put siding on the two sides before they can start on the two wings off both sides. They er a month now, I don't know what's up with that.say they will be completely done by the middle of next week.
Here are a couple of pics of the progress. And, I haven't heard from the insurance company for over a month now and I don't know what's up with that. the first one is wed morning, the second is thursday and the third one is friday. I haven't had the chance to go out there this morning but I'll post another one at the end of the day today.

Attachments

• IMG_2387 (1).JPG
    IMG_2387 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
   / A sad day on the farm #154  
Mx, nice shop, We are getting ready to do one ourselves, it will look a lot like yours.
I have 19 trucks of fill coming in and to be leveled. Its a steel building just like yours but 36 x 120.
I will post pictures as we go along, Im still in the permit process.
Keep it up with the pictures!!

/ A sad day on the farm
Mx, nice shop, We are getting ready to do one ourselves, it will look a lot like yours.
I have 19 trucks of fill coming in and to be leveled. Its a steel building just like yours but 36 x 120.
I will post pictures as we go along, Im still in the permit process.
Keep it up with the pictures!!
Man that sounds like a killa shop you will have. Who did you get your building from? I used Quicken Steel, they are based out of Georgia. I don't think I could have better. Their buildings are way over engineered it seems to me. It's really is nice now days for a company to do exactly what you want and deliver in a timely mannor. I told them exactly what I wanted and how it was to be laid out and so far not a thing I wanted was overlooked. These buildings are designed so closely that in the end there is less than a wheel barrow full of scrap is left over. They even changed on site where a couple of the doors were on the drawings and put them in different places after I looked at it in real time and decided a few feet one way or another would be better. So far everything has fit like a glove and no adjustments other than the ones I changed has had to be done.
I commented on how strong the materials were in this building and he told me a story about one they put up in Texas. There was a big hurricane that hit the area and everything for a 1/2 mile around was leveled and he said there was only one little piece of trim that was blown loose from that building.
These were at the end of the day yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2400.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
   / A sad day on the farm #156  
Mx, our building came from Steel Building Systems, also out of Georgia.
We went with them because we already owned one of their buildings behind our home and its built like a tank.
It looks just like the one you have there, but with 3' insulation on the walls and ceiling. I just finished installing 2- 8 bladed fans inside to move the air around cause it gets hot here.
Our walk-in doors open out in case of hurricanes, and with 3 roll-up doors.
I will post pictures as soon as we start the building.

Last edited:
   / A sad day on the farm
Mx, our building came from Steel Building Systems, also out of Georgia.
We went with them because we already owned one of their buildings behind our home and its built like a tank.
It looks just like the one you have there, but with 3' insulation on the walls and ceiling. I just finished installing 2- 8 bladed fans inside to move the air around cause it gets hot here.
Our walk-in doors open out in case of hurricanes, and with 3 roll-up doors.
I will post pictures as soon as we start the building.
Is that Tracy Nesmith you are dealing with?
I'm going with spray insulation and roll up doors on mine. I thought about building my own doors like I did on my other building. I made those with two panels that swung out with a locking device in the center. I made them out of 2" box tube and had two inches of foam insulation in-between. They worked really well but when I decided that I was going to have someone else put this building up why bother with building my own doors. Hopefully they will be all done this week.

/ A sad day on the farm #158  
Sorry, his name was Rick Mathis, from Steel Building Systems.
My neighbor has a sprayed insulation building, I really didn't care for it, I liked the regular insulation one better, but to each their own..
Our dog ripped some of it down for me,(how nice) he got locked it there and flipped out I guess, cause he also chewed up the seat cover on my mini truck!:mad:

/ A sad day on the farm
Sorry, his name was Rick Mathis, from Steel Building Systems.
My neighbor has a sprayed insulation building, I really didn't care for it, I liked the regular insulation one better, but to each their own..
Our dog ripped some of it down for me,(how nice) he got locked it there and flipped out I guess, cause he also chewed up the seat cover on my mini truck!:mad:
What are you calling regular insulation? Is that the vinyl backed stuff or the bubble wrap. There was some confusion when we got to that part I was thinking the vinyl backed stuff but got that bubble wrap stuff. All that is, is basically a vapor barrier very little if any R value and it wont last but 4 or 5 years before it starts to come apart. The vinyl backed stuff does give some insulation value but it's not something that will last long term before it starts to come away from the wall. I know of 4 different shops that used it and it looked nice when it was first put up but 4 or 5 years down the road not so much.
I like the spray foam because of the way it seals any cracks that didn't get sealed in the construction process. Actually no insulation is for ever and I'm wondering what will happen to the foam if it get's any UV exposure. I'm going to sheet the walls up to 10' so no worries there but how about the rest.

/ A sad day on the farm #160  
Ours is the white vinyl backed insulation, its 4 yrs old and it looks great still.
I had the same insulation in a 36 x72 building we did back in 2004 and it still looks good too. We always get light colored buildings, they don't get as hot
so its easier on the insulation.