A sad day on the farm

/ A sad day on the farm #131  
Sorry for your loss, fire's are miserable.. I had a residence fire 40 years ago but fortunately I had just moved in and had everything unpacked so a lot of things were fresh in my memory. I still have trouble getting time to take an inventory of everything I own up to date, even though I've taken lots of pictures, it can be hard to count the number of individual tools you from a picture. And to add insult to injury someone stole a Weber barbecue out of my backyard after the fire and some other things from the garage. If you're wanting to sheetrock your inside walls use 5/8", as that's what is generally required here for one hour fire protection between the attached garage and your house.

/ A sad day on the farm #132  
Sorry for your loss, fire's are miserable.. I had a residence fire 40 years ago but fortunately I had just moved in and had everything unpacked so a lot of things were fresh in my memory. I still have trouble getting time to take an inventory of everything I own up to date, even though I've taken lots of pictures, it can be hard to count the number of individual tools you from a picture. And to add insult to injury someone stole a Weber barbecue out of my backyard after the fire and some other things from the garage. If you're wanting to sheetrock your inside walls use 5/8", as that's what is generally required here for one hour fire protection between the attached garage and your house.
Similar to the OP I dug thru the ashes retrieving and counting everything. I think the value of pictures might be if you have individual high dollar items and need to prove that. My insurance company didn't ask for proof of anything. And I was 100% honest with them in what I claimed.

Anyone who's been thru a fire, and some who are just paranoid about it spends some mental time thinking about how to minimize the affect. In my experience it would not have mattered at all what materials were used during construction. My shop was a pole barn design, metal clad. The metal served to create an "oven" situation holding all of the heat in the building until it spontaneously exploded. No construction method was going to prevent that.

If today I accidently start a fire in my shop while I'm in here my construction choices might give me an edge fighting it. But I think that edge can be better gained with a "defensive plan". Fire extinguishers, etc.

As others have mentioned, I am acutely aware of what I'm doing and it's fire risk. I never use flame in my shop and leave immediately after. If I'm doing metal work I hang around 30 minutes in the evening before going in the house. Perfect opportunity to sit in the Barber Chair, drink a Beer and admire my accomplishments. :)

/ A sad day on the farm #133  
Just reading this thread. So sorry about the loss.

I have tried to take pictures of most significant items when purchased over the last several years, A lot is just so I can quickly look up replacement parts or accessories by model number and/or serial number when needed but also in case of theft (or fire).

/ A sad day on the farm #134  
Man this is terrible to hear. I am so so sorry. I hope you can at least get some pleasure from the process of building new. Even if insurance doesn't cover it all.

/ A sad day on the farm #135  
Its so sad that you can't purchase asbestos
1/2x4x8 sheets you can't burn it. I used it for
when I put in my wood stove in the corner I
would put one sheet on each wall and cut one
in half for the ceiling and floor and you can put
your wood stove just a few inches for the wall or
corner. No chance of a fire. All the idiots that
think that mining is terrible should not be allow
to have anything that comes from mining perhaps
they would wake up from their stupid ideas!

willy

/ A sad day on the farm #136  

willy
Asbestos was awful stuff from mining to removal/disposal of the product. The only good thing was the efficacity once it is installed.

/ A sad day on the farm #137  

willy
Mesothelioma

Hope you never get it.

/ A sad day on the farm #138  
Asbestos was awful stuff from mining to removal/disposal of the product. The only good thing was the efficacity once it is installed.
As a child, I lived in a house made out of primarily asbestos. It was called Cemesto. Interesting stuff. Perfectly safe, until you cut it with a circular saw and shot the fibers all over the air. No one new that back then.

Just like floor and ceiling tiles that had asbestos. They are perfectly safe as long as they aren't broken up and made loose and friable.

And vermiculite insulation in attics.

/ A sad day on the farm #139  
As a child, I lived in a house made out of primarily asbestos. It was called Cemesto. Interesting stuff. Perfectly safe, until you cut it with a circular saw and shot the fibers all over the air. No one new that back then.

Just like floor and ceiling tiles that had asbestos. They are perfectly safe as long as they aren't broken up and made loose and friable.

And vermiculite insulation in attics.

I am aware my point was the only time it is safe and once it is installed ... many cases of lung and skin cancer from mining this stuff.

/ A sad day on the farm #140  
Some of you may remember what I went through building my pole barn that turned into my giant man cave. It was my place away from home that I spent many hours in playing with all my toys. I had all my most sacred things that I had gathered over my life time. All my machines, two lathes, my mill, all of the tooling, my Bickford 21" Super Service, 2 more drill presses. Three welders, Dynasty 300, millermatic 252 and an older miller AC/DC buzz box and all the stuff that went along with my welding shop. I never realized how much stuff I had in that building until I started going through the rubble. I never thought about how much in dollars I had laying around. In just different clamps and vices I have found over $7,000.00 in the rubble. It hasn't been too hard to find things because I had everything in there own spaces, plumbing, electrical, AC, hydraulic stuff, test equipment, welding equipment and consumables all had their own little spot in the shop.

One of the hardest things I have had to deal with was all my civil war relics, my native american artifact, bottle collection and my fossil collection. it's hard to lose stuff I have spent a lifetime collecting but all my books for the different habbits, my research papers and recording books that took more time to do than the actural collecting itself.

Everything was gone in less than 2 hours from the time it started to when there was nothing else to burn. In the end all that is left is the siding and roof metal and what's few 6x6 post that are still standing. One of the firemen that was here told me that in 20 years of fire fighting this was the hottest fire he had ever been to. That huge trolly beam system I built and was so proud of now looks like a big pertzel still hanging from it's upright support beams. Anything aluminum or copper was turned to liquid, every where you look there are piles of melted lead, aluminum and cooper parts that were once motors, tools or anything else that was made of these metals.

After a little over a month I have finally gotten the go ahead from the insurance co to start clean up and that will be a giant under taking in itself. I have enough insurance to cover most of the contence except my historical items but The way insurance work it you only get a certain percent of the amount of what it would cost to bebuild the the house itself. I already know there is not enough in that part to cover the cost of what I had so I'll have to do all the clean up just like I built it to begin with by myself. It probably will take the better part of a couple months to get it all cleaned up so I can start over.
Your post really conveys it all, like I really feel your pain man. I'm very sorry for your loss, but also want to give you props for sharing this so well.