A sad day on the farm

/ A sad day on the farm #111  
Sorry about your loss insurance companies never pay what you have into things at least no one was injured
In my opinion, that's why I have Replacement Coverage. On many of my items they paid more than I had originally paid for the item.

/ A sad day on the farm #112  
Some of you may remember what I went through building my pole barn that turned into my giant man cave. It was my place away from home that I spent many hours in playing with all my toys. I had all my most sacred things that I had gathered over my life time. All my machines, two lathes, my mill, all of the tooling, my Bickford 21" Super Service, 2 more drill presses. Three welders, Dynasty 300, millermatic 252 and an older miller AC/DC buzz box and all the stuff that went along with my welding shop. I never realized how much stuff I had in that building until I started going through the rubble. I never thought about how much in dollars I had laying around. In just different clamps and vices I have found over $7,000.00 in the rubble. It hasn't been too hard to find things because I had everything in there own spaces, plumbing, electrical, AC, hydraulic stuff, test equipment, welding equipment and consumables all had their own little spot in the shop.

One of the hardest things I have had to deal with was all my civil war relics, my native american artifact, bottle collection and my fossil collection. it's hard to lose stuff I have spent a lifetime collecting but all my books for the different habbits, my research papers and recording books that took more time to do than the actural collecting itself.

Everything was gone in less than 2 hours from the time it started to when there was nothing else to burn. In the end all that is left is the siding and roof metal and what's few 6x6 post that are still standing. One of the firemen that was here told me that in 20 years of fire fighting this was the hottest fire he had ever been to. That huge trolly beam system I built and was so proud of now looks like a big pertzel still hanging from it's upright support beams. Anything aluminum or copper was turned to liquid, every where you look there are piles of melted lead, aluminum and cooper parts that were once motors, tools or anything else that was made of these metals.

After a little over a month I have finally gotten the go ahead from the insurance co to start clean up and that will be a giant under taking in itself. I have enough insurance to cover most of the contence except my historical items but The way insurance work it you only get a certain percent of the amount of what it would cost to bebuild the the house itself. I already know there is not enough in that part to cover the cost of what I had so I'll have to do all the clean up just like I built it to begin with by myself. It probably will take the better part of a couple months to get it all cleaned up so I can start over.
G'Day from South Australia, I am sorry for your loss, I personally know how it feels, I lost many sheds to the Pinery Bushfire of 2015, the main shed had cherished vehicles , motor bikes , caravan, farming equipment etc etc etc , and was a total loss. We managed to save our house, (just), but many of my neighbours weren't so fortunate. My thoughts are with you and yours , and I can also feel your grief. Hope your recovery goes as well as can be expected.
Trail Blaser Mallala South Australia

/ A sad day on the farm #113  
So sorry to hear this. It is a fear for all of us.

/ A sad day on the farm #114  
Some of you may remember what I went through building my pole barn that turned into my giant man cave. It was my place away from home that I spent many hours in playing with all my toys. I had all my most sacred things that I had gathered over my life time. All my machines, two lathes, my mill, all of the tooling, my Bickford 21" Super Service, 2 more drill presses. Three welders, Dynasty 300, millermatic 252 and an older miller AC/DC buzz box and all the stuff that went along with my welding shop. I never realized how much stuff I had in that building until I started going through the rubble. I never thought about how much in dollars I had laying around. In just different clamps and vices I have found over $7,000.00 in the rubble. It hasn't been too hard to find things because I had everything in there own spaces, plumbing, electrical, AC, hydraulic stuff, test equipment, welding equipment and consumables all had their own little spot in the shop.

One of the hardest things I have had to deal with was all my civil war relics, my native american artifact, bottle collection and my fossil collection. it's hard to lose stuff I have spent a lifetime collecting but all my books for the different habbits, my research papers and recording books that took more time to do than the actural collecting itself.

Everything was gone in less than 2 hours from the time it started to when there was nothing else to burn. In the end all that is left is the siding and roof metal and what's few 6x6 post that are still standing. One of the firemen that was here told me that in 20 years of fire fighting this was the hottest fire he had ever been to. That huge trolly beam system I built and was so proud of now looks like a big pertzel still hanging from it's upright support beams. Anything aluminum or copper was turned to liquid, every where you look there are piles of melted lead, aluminum and cooper parts that were once motors, tools or anything else that was made of these metals.

After a little over a month I have finally gotten the go ahead from the insurance co to start clean up and that will be a giant under taking in itself. I have enough insurance to cover most of the contence except my historical items but The way insurance work it you only get a certain percent of the amount of what it would cost to bebuild the the house itself. I already know there is not enough in that part to cover the cost of what I had so I'll have to do all the clean up just like I built it to begin with by myself. It probably will take the better part of a couple months to get it all cleaned up so I can start over.
Sorry friend, if you were close I would love to help you. Never cleaned up from a fire but have worked multiple devastating tornadoes. Don’t give up.

/ A sad day on the farm #115  

/ A sad day on the farm #116  
I am so sorry for your loss. My neighbor had a similar accident at his man cave with vintage snowmobiles, go carts, and many antique items. It is a terrible loss.

Rex

/ A sad day on the farm
December 30th 1988 total loss of my barn and contents. I still feel your pain and sorry you're going through this.
I am so sorry for your loss. My neighbor had a similar accident at his man cave with vintage snowmobiles, go carts, and many antique items. It is a terrible loss.

Rex
Thanks guys and sorry for your loss too. Yes it was a special place and something I dreamed about the better part of my life, having a place for all my tools and toys. I know I'll never build back what I had there because too much thought and work that went into that building. I built it a $100.00 at a time and that was the reason it took so long to complete. I don't think I have enough time to jump on a project like that again. The only thing I didn't do myself was set the truss and skin the main roof of the building and the actural pouring of the the concrete floor.
I'll put up some kind of metal building if I can ever get someone to talk to me about it. I called General Steel and I'm glad I did because it answered a question that I had in the beginning. I called them twice and never got anything out of them either time. The last time I called the guy talked was down right rude. I told him I was planning to build in about 2 or 3 months. I told him what I wanted to put up and asked him for a general ball park idea of what one of their buildings might cost, just for the package and I would decide later if I had enough in my budget to get them to do the whole thing. He laughed and said, you want me to give you a price on a building. How can I do that with the way things are changing right now. Do you think all I have to do is give out prices on stuff that will change again tomorrow? I said, well yes how else will I know what to make out the check for. He started off on a rant again and I just hung up. How in the heck do you buy anything these days?
Go to lowes or home depot and try to buy a Dewalt or milwaukee battery powered drill or impact. Everything is locked up and you have to run around looking for someone to open the cage to get it out of hock. Most time when you find somebody they ask , how can I help you? I want that drill right there. Then they come back with well I don't have a key for that, I'll get someone who has the key. Once they get there and open the bin they wont even hand it to you they tell you I'll have to escourt you to the register to pay for it. I'm standing there with about $2000.00 worth of stuff in my basket a start to tell him I'm not done with my list yet, I have a few more things to pick up, like batteries for this drill, A Dewalt 20V light stand with batteries, one of those small Honda 2200 watt genarators, some shovels, a rake or two and some gas cans. He gave me a puzzled look and ask well do you want the drill or not? I walked out and left him, drill and my basket full of stuff right where we were standing. That was Lowes and I went back home and ordered all my things from Home Depot and they were at my door step the next day.

Last edited:
   / A sad day on the farm #119  
For us older gentlemen it's very stressful. Seems you have to beg to buy something. Then after the begging session you find out they don't have it in stock.

When I purchased my all metal building I was Blessed with a Brother In Arms that works for a Consulting Company that was building units for Dollar General. He spec'd my building and ordered it thru the process he was using with VP Buildings in Kansas City. I got "rock star" treatment and was in direct contact with the Engineer. Emailed details back and forth until we had it sorted out. Had my building in 45 days.

Like you, I would be starting the process and making contact with suppliers now so when Spring comes I'd have a plan. You'd think suppliers would appreciate that and want to work a deal. Not saying you should receive special treatment or even a special price. But respect would be nice.

I suspect the dishonesty in today's society drives the security of store items nowadays. In my local Farm and Home store it sometimes surprises me. For example, if I want to purchase Flea/Tick treatment for my dogs I have to pick a card off the display rack and take it to the cashier. They keep the product under the counter..... Are that many people actually stealing this stuff???

I bought new disc batteries for my shop door opener remotes the other day. They are displayed without security on the rack. But it takes a demolition team to get the batteries out of the little container. Probably spent more money designing the case than building the battery.

I think about you every day and wonder how you are getting along with the cleanup. I wish I was your neighbor.

/ A sad day on the farm #120  
so sorry to hear this. I wish you all the best as you go through, salvage, and clean up. Be safe as you work through the rubble. Take care.