A great tractor deal?

/ A great tractor deal? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Doesn't this seem like a really good price, asking $1,800?

For sale 1945 Farmall "A" with pneumatic lift all (rare). Tractor engine was rebuild about 25 years. Front and final drive have been rebuilt in the last few years. New tires all the way around new rear rims. Also comes with belly cultivators and rear draw bar. Please contact for any further information. 00F0F_2rJ5fd0044g_600x450.jpeg00Z0Z_lxFxjz7ug2q_50x50c.jpeg00Z0Z_hQdYws1FS8C_50x50c.jpeg

/ A great tractor deal? #3  
Seems like there are a lot of really old tractors out there for cheap.

/ A great tractor deal? #4  
Unless you are a collector, what are you going to do with it?? Do you have crops to cultivate? My little JD2210 will drag it around like it owns it. No power anything. Possibly hand crank. Crap brakes. What exactly are you going to do with it?

/ A great tractor deal?
Here's what's interesting and strange to me. People collect cars. Old ones don't have the amenities that new ones do...however they have value.
People love tractors. Tractors seem to hold their value more so than cars...but up to a point. Once a tractor becomes an antique, even one restored seems to be worth maybe less than half what one has in it!
Thoughts?!?

/ A great tractor deal? #7  
Although they are cool I just don't have a use for something like that. It would sit around and look cool. I need a FEL, brush hog and blade on a tractor. Something useful. I guess you could drag it around to tractor shows. Old antique cars you can drive all over the place, tractors not so much.

/ A great tractor deal? #8  
Here's what's interesting and strange to me. People collect cars. Old ones don't have the amenities that new ones do...however they have value.
People love tractors. Tractors seem to hold their value more so than cars...but up to a point. Once a tractor becomes an antique, even one restored seems to be worth maybe less than half what one has in it!
Thoughts?!?

I'm always amazed at what people hold on to, and how long they do this without any idea if it will increase in value, or just rot away. American Pickers is one of the most interesting shows to me just because of what they find, and what some of that junk is worth.

With tractors, I'm sure if you hold on to it long enough, it will be worth something. I also think that if you put $2,000 into a mutual fund and left it alone for 30 years like most of the junk people are holding on to, you would have a lot more money in the mutual fund. With both, the secret is not doing anything for decades.

/ A great tractor deal? #9  
In 1945 Harry Ferguson still had ten years active patents on the Three Point Hitch he invented.

I think only Ford was licensed by Ferguson in 1945.

So contemporary implements will probably not hitch to this tractor unless an aftermarket Three Point Hitch was added after 1955.

/ A great tractor deal? #10  
That one looks nice but, as noted, the "A" was a pretty weak tractor. I'd say the price is fair, probably a good deal if you really want one and it's as described. However, we have tractors of that era advertised here all the time and to get close to the $3000 mark they need to be museum pieces. There are just too many tractors and not enough collectors.