A good quality Log Splitter

/ A good quality Log Splitter #81  
No, the log lift was optional and I don't need or want the lift, as I cut all of my firewood over a trailer, and roll the big ones right onto the beam.

standard.jpg

In the past, when splitting some big ones for a customer, I just lowered the 3 point, put a short 2x6 on the beam to the ground, and rolled the rounds right up onto the beam, then lift the 3 point to the height I like to split at.

It did come with the 4-way and the outfeed table...

SR

/ A good quality Log Splitter #82  
That splitter does good considering a 4 way wedge and 22 Tons. 5 inch cylinder would support more pressure if needed and had the pressure. Nice.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #83  
I've heard a son with a strong back and weak mind makes a good splitter. :D

That was my brother and I back in the 40/50's. :hyper:

/ A good quality Log Splitter #85  
It's a Timber Wolf 3HD,

standard.jpg

I still see them at shows for around $3,500.00 and they are worth every single penny!!

SR

Those Timberwolf splitters had to be some of the best splitters on the market. They used to be made just a little over an hour down the road from me in Rutland, VT. They are one of the few splitter manufacturers to rate the actual tonnage on their splitters as they are set from the factory. (If you check many other splitters, find the manufacturer's recommended pressure setting, and run the calculations based on pressure and size of the cylinder, you'll see that there is no way they are hitting the splitting force that is on their rating.) So that 22 ton Timberwolf will easily split logs that other brands with higher ratings choke on.

Timberwolf was bought out and moved to Marathon, NY back in 2017. I have no experience with what they are making now, but their TW-2 seems very similar to the old one

I had the use of a TW-2 (not the HD version) for half a dozen cords a few years ago. It is the stand-alone version of the TW3 series (which is 3 pt hitch mounted). I was very impressed! Wish I had bought it when I had the chance, but I had just purchased a used American CLS AM-25HH Highboy with all the bells and whistles a few months earlier. It's very similar to the TW2-HD (I heard a rumor that the American CLS folks split off from Timberwolf years ago - not sure if there is any truth to that or not.) I have to admit, I like the Timberwolf better, similar power, the Timberwolf just seemed to be laid out and "fit" me a bit better.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #86  
Those Timberwolf splitters had to be some of the best splitters on the market. They used to be made just a little over an hour down the road from me in Rutland, VT. They are one of the few splitter manufacturers to rate the actual tonnage on their splitters as they are set from the factory. (If you check many other splitters, find the manufacturer's recommended pressure setting, and run the calculations based on pressure and size of the cylinder, you'll see that there is no way they are hitting the splitting force that is on their rating.) So that 22 ton Timberwolf will easily split logs that other brands with higher ratings choke on.
NO question Timberwolf splitters have a LOT of power, I split a lot of big wood, all being pushed through the 4-way and it really kicksazz!

Parking the splitter right next to the rounds, let me roll the big ones right onto the beam

standard.jpg

And the splitter does the rest!

standard.jpg

When they are this big, we take them off the outfeed table and sent them back on the wagon, to be put through the splitter again. Of course, the pieces are now light enough to be easily handled,

standard.jpg

It doesn't take long to make a BIG pile of splits, when you have big rounds to begin with!

standard.jpg

SR

/ A good quality Log Splitter #87  
That's really the key. All wood is not the same so what works for one person may not be optimal for someone else. I have lots of yellow birch which is very stringy and knotty. Often my small splitter will switch back and forth between the two stages on the pump when splitting it. On the large stuff I load it using the loader on my tractor to roll it onto the splitter (similar to Rob does from his trailer). The rapid fire might work for me but nobody around me has one to try. I do have plenty of red maple which is like splitting butter. Since I only split 4 to 5 cords a year I just can't justify a larger splitter.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #88  
That's really the key. All wood is not the same so what works for one person may not be optimal for someone else. I have lots of yellow birch which is very stringy and knotty. Often my small splitter will switch back and forth between the two stages on the pump when splitting it. On the large stuff I load it using the loader on my tractor to roll it onto the splitter (similar to Rob does from his trailer). The rapid fire might work for me but nobody around me has one to try. I do have plenty of red maple which is like splitting butter. Since I only split 4 to 5 cords a year I just can't justify a larger splitter.

Ya Al . . . I'm in that range now maybe less for my use . . .

/ A good quality Log Splitter

Yep. The cost for a “good” splitter cannot be justified for my needs....and at my age...will not live long enough. Being retired, I can take longer to get the job done.

/ A good quality Log Splitter #90  
My process is similar to SR when splitting at home: the rounds are in the trailer, and they run off the splitter to land right near where I'm going to stack them.

I often split out in the woods, after limbing and winching the tree from where it fell to trailside. Most of the time, I use my hydraulic log lift simply as a work table hand-loading a few logs at a time to stage them for splitting. For the big ones, I use the hydraulics to lift them. I park the trailer right in front of the out-feed table, and the splitter pushes the pieces right into the trailer. (That's one of the reasons I prefer a splitter with a fixed wedge and moving anvil: It loads the trailer for me.)