Loader A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #51  
Whenever it snows, I use my dozer for plowing. Never had it fail. Very hard on the driveway, though, I've had to replace 800' of 5" concrete 3 times already.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #52  
Whenever it snows, I use my dozer for plowing. Never had it fail. Very hard on the driveway, though, I've had to replace 800' of 5" concrete 3 times already.
Imagine if you would use the dozer for dirt instead of snow and the tractor for snow instead of pushing dirt?

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #54  
The new dozers are absolute monsters. But if you had an older John Deere 40/440 series dozer, or a Deere 1010 series dozer, and put rubber pads on it, then it would likely be quite a plowing machine. Or a small loader version of those.

Perhaps a modern rubber tracked skid steer. Just take off the bucket teeth.

Around here I can normally just wait for the ice or snow to melt naturally.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #55  
I’ve seen this before. It’s common on ones that have a backhoe also. Someone on a JD forum had this happen and she fixed it. She admitted to lifting logs near the tractors limit. She was looking for a backhoe subframe for it to help strengthen it. I think most of the newer J.D. compacts and subcompacts have a frame, I know mine does. I’m not sure about the E models.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #56  
Yeah those 3000-series E Deere's are really some flimsy junk. The loader ratings tell the tale.

But look at this first pic. Seems to be taken right where it happened, no? The bucket is way down in the dirt! This buffoon was slamming his front loader into frozen ground trying to dig, for whatever reason. Just stupid.

View attachment 853082

Slamming the bucket up and down quickly with that load of sand in it, to maybe break up some ice there?
Using the weight of the sand to have more downforce?
Since there’s 1/2 load of sand in it that looks normal, means he had already scooped forward in a normal motion. Just slamming an empty bucket up and down would not produce that sand in it the way it lays.

What looks odd, is .. it’s slippery thin snow, so he couldn’t get much force forward, plus there’s no peeling out marks in the snow either.
If he had much force forward from tire traction, the rear half of the tractor would have immediately rotated over backwards from the tire torque, but notice it’s rotated forward.
Plus the break should have happened at or forward of the loader arm attachment point not behind.
That bell housing area is obviously a weak point, whatever he was actually doing when it happened. Maybe staged there for photos, to help hide what really happened, for unknown reasons like insurance, etc…

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #57  
Went to a sale years ago where they had a JD 420 two cylinder that had been used around the dealership with a loader on it. Of course it did not have the loader on anymore, but they said don't know the serial number as the torque tube has been replaced three times!!
Loaders for farm tractors used to be sold as Farm loaders. They were built in the frame and mounting for farm duty, manure, fertilizer, snow removal etc. Most stated they were not for digging in the ground. Most had minimal mounting, some using frames from the front to the back axle. But with the arrival of quick tach loaders they usually stopped at the bell housing on most two wheel drives tractors. Most four wheel drives usually had the frame to the rear axle. But even that changed as prices stated to get too high.
Stop and look at a full industrial loader some time note the frame goes to the back axle and is pretty stought.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #58  
Even the little Massey GCs are a full frame tractor. Funny, only other time I saw a tractor snapped in half was a frameless Deere

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #60  
I've heard horror stories of my brand and model snapping in half at the bell housing also. Usually abuse and/or backhoe.
Soon after I bought it I made mounts that transfers the lateral rearward force to the rear axle, and hopefully some downward force also.
Growing up on the farm and making brackets for whatever loader to whatever tractor, we always made the loader towers attached to the rear axle.
I was in the local machine shop once and they had a JD 4020 in there to repair the broken engine block bosses where the loader mounted!! Wish I would've seen the repair.
How????