Loader A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #41  
What tractors have a sub-frame? Note that I don't know what a sub-frame is either!
May not be relavent Branson 3520 has a quick attach subframe for the backhoe that mates at the loader plates.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #42  
IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_4089.jpeg

Note the two above Kubota tractors (both of them were mine at one point in time). One is a 2002 model year, the other a 2018. The older machine has a loader frame - which could be described as a subframe - going from the loader tower to the front brush guard which is very firmly mounted to the front plates and ultimately the engine block. You'll also notice another set of frame arms running from the base of the loader arms backwards to the rear of the tractor. These were connected at the rear axle. The purpose is to distribute the weight of the loader and its load over the entire tractor structure, and not just at the loader towers. The newer machine eliminates the front loader subframe but includes a beefier rear frame. Also, the loader tower mounting points on the transmission case bolt into an extremely robust casting and the full lower tower mounting also ties into the engine block structure as well.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #43  
What tractors have a sub-frame? Note that I don't know what a sub-frame is either!
Most tractors in the compact and bigger classes use the cast iron or steel engine block, clutch bell housing, and transmissions as stressed members. Therefore they have no true frame. Most quick attach loaders have a mount up front and a mount on the side of the clutch bellhousing. Some times there is a small hoop frame around the front but this is just a loader frame.

Older tractor loaders frames went all the way to the back axles. This means the cast housings in between were relieved of much of the stress. Problem was these frames were anything but quick to take off (could take hours) and limited access for maintenance

There are very few tractors that have a loader subframe and are still quick attach loaders.

Backhoes it’s more prevalent to have a subframe, as a 3 point backhoe is very hard on the rear end housing, especially the top link but few are quick attach either but some have come along way in that regard.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #44  
Just my opinion: That doesn’t look like damage from plowing forward with the loader. To me, if he hit a load too great or immovable while plowing forward, the entire tractor assembly would push forward, except for the bucket and loader arms which would be driven backwards. That would make me expect to see the loader attachment point broken off backwards from the front of the tractor, but you can see it’s fine there, but instead broken behind the point of attachmen

My guess is it wasn't strapped and slid off a trailer.
Agree. That looks like there was no operator in the seat. If there was an operator in the seat it is hard to imagine how there would not be a lot of blood in the picture too.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #45  
Agree. That looks like there was no operator in the seat. If there was an operator in the seat it is hard to imagine how there would not be a lot of blood in the picture too.
Not wearing the seat belt? I had thought the space around the steering wheel had closed up a lot.

I'm still having troubles imagining the dynamics of the accident.

With the front end loader dug in so much, it is quite possible that it held the middle of the tractor up for a period of time, or perhaps the middle part was even raised up. The hydraulic system likely lost pressure from the pump to the valve. However, it may have maintained pressure from the valve to the loader.

Then between the time of the crack and the photo, the hydraulic pressure would have either been manually relieved, or slowly bled out and the tractor settled down.

I can't explain why it wasn't an oily mess.

Perhaps a pure crunch through the bell housing. If this was a hydrostatic, does it have a torque converter?

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #46  
Dealer selling a trade in, that is all.
Messes look bad, bad for bidness.
Work it may, shine it must.

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #47  
I’ve used my 2011 3520 to dig some pretty big ditches over the years. Used hard, front end off ground and all to dig. Also use forklift on front loader to move around 1/2 ton full grape bins. Knock on wood no issues. Always feel my JD is built for it. Something really extreme must have gone on here

/ A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #49  
They left the most important character off that model number. It's not a "3038", it's a "3038E", the "E" meaning "Economy". These low-end machine's are Deere's way to try to not lose every customer looking for a more budget-minded machine, but they really have no business playing in this market. Deere makes some great machines, but they're just not going to beat Asian brands when competing for lowest cost/price.

I looked at a few of the 3E-series machines, when I was shopping in 2018/19. No way in hell was I buying one of those economy machines. At least for me, it was 3R-series, or another brand.

Last edited:
   / A gentle reminder that tractors are not dozers #50  
Yeah those 3000-series E Deere's are really some flimsy junk. The loader ratings tell the tale.

But look at this first pic. Seems to be taken right where it happened, no? The bucket is way down in the dirt! This buffoon was slamming his front loader into frozen ground trying to dig, for whatever reason. Just stupid.

1708367255714.png