99 problems and my tractor is every one of them

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #41  
As has been mentioned, sounds like injector issues are the root of the regen issue. Not uncommon, but not real common: have run across a few such stories. The coolant issue is another thing and it looks like the radiator was lifted and pulled before that nipple was clear of something: that's what it looks like to me- there's a good nick or depression on it about 40% from the end (and would match up with extraction forces, same direction of extraction).

My 2016 NX5510 has almost 900 hrs on it and the engine, computer and all have presented no issues: I had water-in-fuel issues which I finally traced to a crappy locking fuel cap (that was about 600 hrs ago and no problems since).

I've put on a combined 2k hrs on my tractors, working in some very insane situations, and have never punched anything through a radiator: neither tractor has a guard on the front. I HAVE, however, dropped stuff on top of the hood, on BOTH! (is there a guard for tops of hoods? :LOL:) Did break a petcock valve on the B7800: caught that one right away. I watch my temperature gauges like a hawk (on everything I own).

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #42  
If a radiator, or cap, or hose, or connection has an air leak it will not pull fluid from an external overflow reservoir, That is why most engines need to physically have the actual radiator level checked. That is where a radiator level switch and light is nice to have.
Yes I have that happen on my old Hyundai SUV. Rad low and overflow has fluid in it

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #43  
There is certainly of damage due to pictures submitted to me by service manager. The plastic radiator mount is seen below.
The crack occurs through thin metal mesh on hood that protects exhaust pipe. Age of damage is hard to determine due to tractor having only 67 hours on it.
The owners manual only explicitly states to check reservoir level. No mention of radiator cap or any other means to gauge level.
Looking at that photo and knowing the construction of most radiators.... that would take a pretty good hit to do that. I'd be suspicious if I were you. Just odd. Anyone else ever have a break like that?

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #44  
I would start off with taking my lawyer to any face to face meeting (a lawyer that deals in business law on a daily basis).

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #45  
Start buy good brand name equipment for a good dealership good luck

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #46  
Oof, tough one. Sorry to hear about this.

So it sounds like you do not contest the possibility that you did drive the tractor with no coolant in the radiator and block? It's hard to accept your assurances that the coolant temp gauge never spiked, because people really just don't watch those constantly, you could have missed it.

If the dealer didn't notice the coolant issue either, and forced another regen, that surely didn't help with whatever the "knock" is deemed to be. But it could obviously be catastrophic cylinder damage in one or multiple cylinders, from overheating.

The coolant loss and overheating may not be the cause of your DPF regen problem, but that needs to be solved later anyway. Right now you need to prove to your dealer that you are not at fault, and thus deserve a new engine. So they are saying your driving/work with the tractor caused the radiator breakage, that drained the coolant? Seems like you could contest that as a defect in the radiator, if nothing crazy happened when you were driving it. How can they prove otherwise?

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #47  
Always keep in mind that if there is no coolant contacting the temp gage sensor, the temp gage won't register anything. Detroit Diesel had that issue a while ago and roasted many engines because of it.

/ 99 problems and my tractor is every one of them #48  
dealer replaced the injectors on my MT240 trying to correct a far too frequent regen cycle, in my specific case, it made no difference. Now they have reverted back to saying a regen every 2 hours is not out of the ordinary.....no joke! I have a whole different thread about that, just answering the injector question here.

Last edited: