90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck

/ 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck #31  
Put a bunch in the dumpster. Didn't know anybody wanted one. Guy was packing all them mowers in a dumpster with a back hoe. Two big roll off dumpsters full. I worked at Kubota.
😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

/ 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck #32  
It's 1/8" NPT-27, so 21/64" drill bit will work.

I mounted it so the round plate is on the side for three reasons:

1. I can check the oil level by using a screwdriver as a dipstick.
2. I can evacuate all of the used oil with a vacuum oil extractor.
3. The oil evacuator tube can be easily pushed all the way to the bottom of the gearbox housing where any fine wear debris (steel) should be.

If you dismantle the gearbox you will see why none the above will work if it's mounted the other way as you suggested.
After pulling the plate it appears that if it was tapped in the center of the plate a screwdriver could be inserted down to the top of the shaft which looks to be about 1/4" below the fill plugs. If it was below that you wouldn't get a measurement but if it was at normal level I would think you would. Couldn't use a vacuum oil extractor in that location though.
Now I think drilling and tapping toward the front of the plate should allow for the oil extractor tube to be pushed to the bottom.
bevel gearbox.jpg
gearbox cap.jpg

/ 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck
After pulling the plate it appears that if it was tapped in the center of the plate a screwdriver could be inserted down to the top of the shaft which looks to be about 1/4" below the fill plugs. If it was below that you wouldn't get a measurement but if it was at normal level I would think you would. Couldn't use a vacuum oil extractor in that location though.
Now I think drilling and tapping toward the front of the plate should allow for the oil extractor tube to be pushed to the bottom.

Sounds good and I hope it works as you described, however pulling out the two other covers is not much different than pulling this blank cover, except you would need to be careful not to damage the oils seals.

By the way, inside of the gearbox was dirty and disassembling it gave me a good opportunity to inspect the gears & bearings and clean it out, but that's not a big deal.

In other words: I actually wanted to open it up & take a look anyway!

/ 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck #34  
Sounds good and I hope it works as you described, however pulling out the two other covers is not much different than pulling this blank cover, except you would need to be careful not to damage the oils seals.

By the way, inside of the gearbox was dirty and disassembling it gave me a good opportunity to inspect the gears & bearings and clean it out, but that's not a big deal.

In other words: I actually wanted to open it up & take a look anyway!
So I got this thing together. I don't think it's run this smooth since I bought it. The gear box does seem to get a little hot but I never really checked the original gearbox for heat.
Thanks for all of the help!

So I got this thing together. I don't think it's run this smooth since I bought it. The gear box does seem to get a little hot but I never really checked the original gearbox for heat.
Thanks for all of the help!

No problem, glad I was able to help and it's working out well for you!

As mentioned earlier, I did the first oil change after less than one hour of use and have done three more oil changes since.
First one had bunch of fine metal in the removed oil, 95% less in the second and basically none in the third oil.

The gears are pretty rough compared to the Superior gearbox gears, but being rated for 40 hp, I think it will be just fine for this service and I consider it as a temporary low cost spare gearbox.

I switched to synthetic 75W-90 the last time and now have little over 20 hours on use.

Cheers

/ 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck #36  
No problem, glad I was able to help and it's working out well for you!

As mentioned earlier, I did the first oil change after less than one hour of use and have done three more oil changes since.
First one had bunch of fine metal in the removed oil, 95% less in the second and basically none in the third oil.

The gears are pretty rough compared to the Superior gearbox gears, but being rated for 40 hp, I think it will be just fine for this service and I consider it as a temporary low cost spare gearbox.

I switched to synthetic 75W-90 the last time and now have little over 20 hours on use.

Cheers
I know you had said,

"All four bearings in my Superior 211ADF 189 6 Gearbox are just regular conical roller bearings like Timken Set 14 (L44643 / L44610).
It's a common trailer wheel bearing size. The oil seals are TC 1.00 x 1.5 x 0.25 Inch"

Were you able to locate the shafts and gears? I'd like to completely rebuild my old gearbox. The input shaft has wear on it from where the yolk was flopping around. And I'd like to key that shaft instead of slipping the bolt through.

I know you had said,

"All four bearings in my Superior 211ADF 189 6 Gearbox are just regular conical roller bearings like Timken Set 14 (L44643 / L44610).
It's a common trailer wheel bearing size. The oil seals are TC 1.00 x 1.5 x 0.25 Inch"

Were you able to locate the shafts and gears? I'd like to completely rebuild my old gearbox. The input shaft has wear on it from where the yolk was flopping around. And I'd like to key that shaft instead of slipping the bolt through.

1. The gears looked like new in my 3600 hour OEM gearbox.

2. I was able to buy new input shaft for my (Superior 211ADF 189 6) from Messick's but that was all they had for it!

On inspection I realized the input shaft is just a straight 3/4" shaft with two snap ring grooves and two key-ways so it would be a easy to make another one if ever needed, but I am missing a milling machine - no problem there are many local shops able to cut a simple key-way.

There is a difference in the gears in-between the two gearboxes which is why I eventually will re-install the old Superior gearbox, and you may already know all about it but for the benefit of others:

"The advantage of the spiral tooth over the straight tooth is that they engage more gradually. The contact between the teeth starts at one end of the gear and then spreads across the whole tooth. This results in a less abrupt transfer of force when a new pair of teeth come in to play."

Superior gears:

Superior Gears.jpg

Spinco "straight tooth" gears:

Spinco Gears.jpg

I think either will be fine for a while, but just as a principle I want to go back to the OEM sometime this winter or later.

Last edited:
   / 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck #38  
1. The gears looked like new in my 3600 hour OEM gearbox.

2. I was able to buy new input shaft for my (Superior 211ADF 189 6) from Messick's but that was all they had for it!

On inspection I realized the input shaft is just a straight 3/4" shaft with two snap ring grooves and two key-ways so it would be a easy to make another one if ever needed, but I am missing a milling machine - no problem there are many local shops able to cut a simple key-way.

There is a difference in the gears in-between the two gearboxes which is why I eventually will re-install the old Superior gearbox, and you may already know all about it but for the benefit of others:

"The advantage of the spiral tooth over the straight tooth is that they engage more gradually. The contact between the teeth starts at one end of the gear and then spreads across the whole tooth. This results in a less abrupt transfer of force when a new pair of teeth come in to play."

Superior gears:

View attachment 712726

Spinco "straight tooth" gears:

View attachment 712727

I think either will be fine for a while, but just as a principle I want to go back to the OEM sometime this winter or later.
I haven't opened my old gear box yet but if I turn the input shaft back and forth I can feel a very slight bit of slack. Not sure if it's gear wear or something else.
I'm sure I can get a local machine shop to cut a new shaft. Wonder if those gears could be found through a generic supplier?

I haven't opened my old gear box yet but if I turn the input shaft back and forth I can feel a very slight bit of slack. Not sure if it's gear wear or something else.
I'm sure I can get a local machine shop to cut a new shaft. Wonder if those gears could be found through a generic supplier?

I would not be too concerned about slight slack in the spiral gears at all and in fact any wear (slack) in the conical roller bearings will increase the axial play in the shafts & slack in gears.

Subject to inspecting the gears, hopefully new bearings & seals should be all it needs.
I have not tried to find new gears since they are fine - gear oil change every couple of years should keep them in good shape.

Please keep us posted of what you find out later regarding this?

Generic Bevel Gearbox (Superior Gearbox Company).jpg

Attachments

• Gearbox service manual.pdf
    234.6 KB · Views: 130
   / 90 Degree Bevel Gearbox on Kubota F3060 - 72" Rear Discharge Deck #40  
My 1997 F3060 has what I think is somewhat rare RC72R-F30 Rear Discharge Deck and was just recently told by a dealer that Kubota is no longer selling replacement gearbox!

I was just looking to buy a spare gearbox but was unable to find anything offered online by the gearbox supplier either (Superior Gearbox Company, Stockton, MO) - in all fairness I never phoned them since I decided to look for alternatives first since the last Kubota list price for replacment was $631.39 (when it supposedly was still available)!
That's cheap! Look at the price for one of the gearboxes for a RCK BX54/60 decko_Oo_Oo_O! Glad I don't need one, cheaper to find a whole used deck on marketplace or craigslist....