8N restored with pics

/ 8N restored with pics #51  
Very nice! Do you or someone else have that for sale now? I just saw one identical with the discs for sale in the Ford section of Marketbook (Canadian version of Tractorhouse)
Thanks. I sold it (with a 3 pt rotary cutter) to someone in Indiana, a couple years ago. I still have the disc, out here.

Last edited:
   / 8N restored with pics #52  
Thanks. I sold it (with a 3 pt mower) to someone in Indiana, a couple years ago. I still have the disc, out here.
How do you like the disk ?

I bought my 1951 Ford 8n, from the widow of the original owner, in 1988. They lived directly across the street, from the house where I grew up. I can remember my dad borrowing the 8n and the “Ferguson system” 6-1/2 ft 3-point disk that came with it, to use on our small vegetable garden, after he had plowed it up with grandpas John Deere model M and it’s mounted 2-bottom.

I paid the neighbor lady $1200 for the tractor, $ 225 for the disk, $ 125 for the plow, back in 1988. Those were about the same prices that were shown on the original 1951 bill of sale, at our local town Ford tractor dealer.

The plow and tractor worked great, but I never cared for the disk. In my opinion, the 3-point hitch was about the worst thing that ever happened to a disk. I’ve since acquired an old John Deere 8 ft pull type disk. The 8n pulls it easier than it ever did the 6.5 ft 3-point, and it takes many less passes with it to get the ground worked up good.

The only thing I like better about the 3-point disk is ease of road transport and use in very small places. I don’t deal with those issues much any more. One of the prettiest sights that I can remember is that 3-point disk leaving our farm in the back of a Craigslist readers pickup truck.

A few years ago, my father in law gave me an old 6.5 ft 3-point disk when he moved up to a retirement home in the mountains. I’ve used it a couple of times, at neighbors places, which served to refresh the “bad memories”.

/ 8N restored with pics #53  
In my opinion, the 3-point hitch was about the worst thing that ever happened to a disk. I’ve since acquired an old John Deere 8 ft pull type disk. The 8n pulls it easier than it ever did the 6.5 ft 3-point, and it takes many less passes with it to get the ground worked up good.

I agree 110%, a 3 point disk just will not cut/work ground like an old pull disk will.

/ 8N restored with pics #55  
I agree 110%, a 3 point disk just will not cut/work ground like an old pull disk will.
They sure do sell a lot of them 3-point disks, but I bet 90% of the folks who buy them have never used a pull type, so they have no clue what they are missing.

I couldn’t believe how easily my little 10 hp Farmall Cub handled my dad’s 6 ft Bissel pull-type, set at the most aggressive angle:
3EF80CA3-3DBF-4392-BF82-3D5FB3B66187.jpeg

It didn’t take too long or two many passes to churn that ground up to almost a powder.

/ 8N restored with pics #56  
They sure do sell a lot of them 3-point disks, but I bet 90% of the folks who buy them have never used a pull type, so they have no clue what they are missing.

I will bet good money everyone of those purchasing a 3 point disk is doing for the convenience of handling.

/ 8N restored with pics #57  
I will bet good money everyone of those purchasing a 3 point disk is doing for the convenience of handling.
Certainly most of them are. I used to have a big flatbed trailer, that would fit my tractor and the three point disk, back when I had some land in between my place and my parents. The 3-point disk was ok then. Now that I have got rid of that in between land and that trailer, having a separate pull-type disk at both places is a much better option.

I remember old Farmwithhunk, from this site was a big proponent of the 3-point disks. He and I clashed over that a few times thru the years. His dad liked the old “drag disks” as he called them, but he never took a liking to them.

Last edited:
   / 8N restored with pics #58  
As they say, you can lead a horse to water...