8n pto issues

/ 8n pto issues #1  

blucoondawg

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK50SE w/ loader and Woods 90x backhoe, Allis Chalmers C with front snowplow
Hopefully there's some 8n experts on here too help me out
My buddy picked up an 8n last summer, it had the old pto shaft which was the smaller size, so he got an adapter for it and ran a tiller on it and kept blowing up the adapter. If you ask me the tractor is more meant for tilling, it's way too fast and they're likely the issue with busting adapters. However since then he bought a new shaft, pulled out the old shaft and replaced it with a modern size 1 3/8 spline, so now he's got the proper diameter spline for modern pto equipment, however he has 2 new problems.

#1 after reinstalling the new shaft he can no longer disengage the pto lever, pto runs constantly unless the clutch is pressed

#2 and the biggest issue, the spline that sticks out the back of the tractor is so short that you cannot fasten your implement pto shaft to it, the pto shaft will hit the round bearing housing which holds the pto shaft on the tractor before it slides on far enough to engage the detent which holds the shaft in place. Due to this he bought a 6 inch extender for his tractor pto so he had clearance, however then when cutting the shaft to fit it's so short that you can't lift the implement without pulling the shaft apart. There has to be a work around for that tractor pto without using an extender on it.

/ 8n pto issues #2  
8N and tiller should never be on the same property. PERIOD.

Needs an overrun clutch on the pto in order for the pto to be useful. The old small pto was fine, I wouldn't have wasted the time, money, effort to change that out. I don't care if it was free, I don't care if they paid him to take it. 8N goes way way too fast in first gear for anything like a tiller. I always break and disc the ground before I use the tiller. I've had dozens of 8N tractors. My uncle's, one had an 801 powermaster diesel, other one had a 4000 gas, newer but still round like the 801. It had the shifter that swung around and moved up and down. Also had a jubilee. Neither would run a tiller. Grandaddy had a 1900 diesel, it was so low geared, you could leave it idling in gear, go in and eat lunch, and it still wouldn't make it across the yard. That little 1980 model 1900 still runs that 8' tiller to this very day. Those four tractors were on the same farm. We had an 8N too, and it was fine pulling plows, cutting grass, but no tiller.

/ 8n pto issues
8N and tiller should never be on the same property. PERIOD.

Needs an overrun clutch on the pto in order for the pto to be useful. The old small pto was fine, I wouldn't have wasted the time, money, effort to change that out. I don't care if it was free, I don't care if they paid him to take it. 8N goes way way too fast in first gear for anything like a tiller. I always break and disc the ground before I use the tiller. I've had dozens of 8N tractors. My uncle's, one had an 801 powermaster diesel, other one had a 4000 gas, newer but still round like the 801. It had the shifter that swung around and moved up and down. Also had a jubilee. Neither would run a tiller. Grandaddy had a 1900 diesel, it was so low geared, you could leave it idling in gear, go in and eat lunch, and it still wouldn't make it across the yard. That little 1980 model 1900 still runs that 8' tiller to this very day. Those four tractors were on the same farm. We had an 8N too, and it was fine pulling plows, cutting grass, but no tiller.
I already said the tractor is too far for a tiller.i time him that before he bought the tiller but the guy he bought it from time him it would be fine and he valued his opinion over mine who had run tractors forever, so now he has what he has.

What would be the point of the overrun clutch at this point? Would that not make the short pto shaft problem even worse?

/ 8n pto issues
I already said the tractor is too far for a tiller.i time him that before he bought the tiller but the guy he bought it from time him it would be fine and he valued his opinion over mine who had run tractors forever, so now he has what he has.

What would be the point of the overrun clutch at this point? Would that not make the short pto shaft problem even worse?
Too fast for a tiller I mean, my phone's going crazy and I can't find the edit function on here

/ 8n pto issues #5  

I dont understand. On an 8n, 1500 rpm is ~ 540 pto rpm’s. An overrunning clutch is a really good idea with a mower. A 5 foot brush mower will have enough inertia to “push” the tractor whenever the clutch is disengaged.

/ 8n pto issues #6  

No, it would make the tractor shaft more longer, so the short pto shaft would be more likely to work.

/ 8n pto issues
No, it would make the tractor shaft more longer, so the short pto shaft would be more likely to work.
Yes, it would extend the shaft, he has that part remedied already, he put an extender on it, it's not an orc all it does is make the shaft longer but has no clutch function. The problem now is with that added length to the pto, the implement driveshaft has to be cut so short in order to fit that there's really nothing left, if he raises the 3 point the shaft pulls apart

/ 8n pto issues #8  
Hopefully there's some 8n experts on here too help me out
My buddy picked up an 8n last summer, it had the old pto shaft which was the smaller size, so he got an adapter for it and ran a tiller on it and kept blowing up the adapter. If you ask me the tractor is more meant for tilling, it's way too fast and they're likely the issue with busting adapters. However since then he bought a new shaft, pulled out the old shaft and replaced it with a modern size 1 3/8 spline, so now he's got the proper diameter spline for modern pto equipment, however he has 2 new problems.

#1 after reinstalling the new shaft he can no longer disengage the pto lever, pto runs constantly unless the clutch is pressed

#2 and the biggest issue, the spline that sticks out the back of the tractor is so short that you cannot fasten your implement pto shaft to it, the pto shaft will hit the round bearing housing which holds the pto shaft on the tractor before it slides on far enough to engage the detent which holds the shaft in place. Due to this he bought a 6 inch extender for his tractor pto so he had clearance, however then when cutting the shaft to fit it's so short that you can't lift the implement without pulling the shaft apart. There has to be a work around for that tractor pto without using an extender on it.
He got the wrong pto shaft if it's too short and he can't turn it off with the lever on the left side by the floor board. And he should have an Over running clutch (ORC) if he's running anything on the pto with high rotational inertia.
And the other poster is correct. The 8n needs an auxiliary transmission (a Howard) to gear it down for a rototiller.

/ 8n pto issues #9  
Yes, it would extend the shaft, he has that part remedied already, he put an extender on it, it's not an orc all it does is make the shaft longer but has no clutch function. The problem now is with that added length to the pto, the implement driveshaft has to be cut so short in order to fit that there's really nothing left, if he raises the 3 point the shaft pulls apart
Those gold colored ones won't hold up. 8N needs an orc to make it function close to a modern tractor, which have them inside. Or hydraulic.

/ 8n pto issues
He got the wrong pto shaft if it's too short and he can't turn it off with the lever on the left side by the floor board. And he should have an Over running clutch (ORC) if he's running anything on the pto with high rotational inertia.
And the other poster is correct. The 8n needs an auxiliary transmission (a Howard) to gear it down for a rototiller.
An orc does nothing for a tiller, the ground stops the tines when you remove power, he doesn't have a rotary cutter, that's what would require an orc. The shaft is the same length as the old shaft there is not a different length shaft available that I'm aware of