600' water line suggestions

/ 600' water line suggestions #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
A friend is getting ready to break ground for a new house build. Will be about 550' off the road.

Water company recommends 2" water line.

Black PE pipe is most common water line in our area, and probably the most affordable too.

The issue he is having is that in 2" size, the longest roll he can find is 500'. Sure, it can be made out of two pieces, either socket welded together, or a variety of other "approved" connections.....but I am of the opinion, as is he, that nothing will be as good as a continuous run of pipe. He has searched. I havent had much time to do any looking or googling.

So does anyone know of a source of 2" water pipe in 600' rolls? or other suggestions as a better alternative?

/ 600' water line suggestions #2  
could put in an access manhole with a shutoff valve at the joint. May not solve the 500' issue but it would be accessible and functional.

/ 600' water line suggestions #3  
A friend is getting ready to break ground for a new house build. Will be about 550' off the road.

Water company recommends 2" water line.

Black PE pipe is most common water line in our area, and probably the most affordable too.

The issue he is having is that in 2" size, the longest roll he can find is 500'. Sure, it can be made out of two pieces, either socket welded together, or a variety of other "approved" connections.....but I am of the opinion, as is he, that nothing will be as good as a continuous run of pipe. He has searched. I havent had much time to do any looking or googling.

So does anyone know of a source of 2" water pipe in 600' rolls? or other suggestions as a better alternative?

The world is covered with black poly pipe connected in various lengths.
I would not even to begin to worry about it.
Rather than a man hole (we can't call it that any more, I think it is now politically correct to call it a "peep hole") he could just plant a PT 4x4 to mark the joint, with the top of the 4x4 just below the surface.
Another option, might be to install a 2" x 1" x 2" reducing tee, and place a frost proof yard hydrant at that connection point, to mark the location. and have hose connection availability in that area as well.

/ 600' water line suggestions #4  
I install water main use a union with the inserts it will never come apart ..

/ 600' water line suggestions #5  
I wouldn't worry one minute about the joint. As mentioned you could always mark it with a post or such and notate it on your plot plan. I wouldn't put a reducer on it though. If anything, if you wanted a frost free faucet, I would T off at that joint assuming it happens to be a smart location!

/ 600' water line suggestions #6  
My contractor used the same stuff he runs miles of for the water utility district. SDR21. 20 ft lengths with o-ring joints. Water lines need to be able move just a little. They also put in 3 2" "sectionalizing" valves in little brick underground boxes so we can valve out a specific section for repair if it becomes damaged.

IMG_0542 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0543 (1024x768).jpg

/ 600' water line suggestions #7  
With the given information I'm left to speculate where the meter is located?

Once you go thru the meter, which is probably a 5/8", 2" pipe is huge overkill.

Would be like running 1 1/2" hydraulic hose from your FEL valve to the lift cylinder.

To the point of a splice. I agree with those above that say don't worry about it. There are hundreds of thousands of miles of water pipe with splices. This includes the district pipe that he's going to get his water from.

I'm running 450ft of 1" pipe to supply my new house and shop plus a hydrant on the way.

/ 600' water line suggestions
With the given information I'm left to speculate where the meter is located?

Once you go thru the meter, which is probably a 5/8", 2" pipe is huge overkill.

Would be like running 1 1/2" hydraulic hose from your FEL valve to the lift cylinder.

To the point of a splice. I agree with those above that say don't worry about it. There are hundreds of thousands of miles of water pipe with splices. This includes the district pipe that he's going to get his water from.

I'm running 450ft of 1" pipe to supply my new house and shop plus a hydrant on the way.

He said he looked it up online and pressure drop calculations call for 2". Same thing water co told him. Not sure if 5/8 or 3/4 meter

/ 600' water line suggestions #9  
We run 19mm-3/4" with a pressure reduction valve at the house end, is the standard domestic size here.
Trenched at 2' prevents any damage, we are about 400' from the meter.

/ 600' water line suggestions #10  
He said he looked it up online and pressure drop calculations call for 2". Same thing water co told him.....................
Then that's what I would stick with. Don't change the pipe size recommended by the water company and also confirmed it with his own research.

What works for some one else may not be satisfactory for your friend. You don't know what pressure they are starting with compared to what you friends water utility company is providing to the point where he is tapping into.