5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #11  
There are several factors to consider,
hp to run the brush hog, gear or hydro transmission.
If geared and it runs too hard while cutting raise the cutting height and mow twice,
if hydro slow down the ground speed and mow away.
How does your tractor behave when transporting it are the front tires floating and making it hard to steer?
add weight to the front or get a lighter cutter.
Or just run it and see how it does for you, if you have problems then ask your questions to fix the currant issues.
And what type of material you plan to cut.

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact
To be fair you bought the subcompact. The 2515 is the TYM compact, which weighs nearly doubled and lifts more than double at the 3-pt as the T25. I've heard great things about the T25, but it's a subcompact with limited weight and capacities, and 18hp at the PTO to boot
They list it as a sub compact. If it is its a large sub compact. Bigger than all the other scut i looked at. I used it today to test. 3pt lifts it just fine, front tires dont float. The brush i cut didnt slow or bog the motor at all. So it may be ok. Need to finish going through the bush hog, rear tire dosnt like to track in the direction you travel, blade pan is bent and the gear box was full of sludge. When i put gear oil in it started weaping out of the lower out put seal. Only paid 260 bucks with a pto shaft

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #13  
They list it as a sub compact. If it is its a large sub compact. Bigger than all the other scut i looked at. I used it today to test. 3pt lifts it just fine, front tires dont float. The brush i cut didnt slow or bog the motor at all. So it may be ok. Need to finish going through the bush hog, rear tire dosnt like to track in the direction you travel, blade pan is bent and the gear box was full of sludge. When i put gear oil in it started weaping out of the lower out put seal. Only paid 260 bucks with a pto shaft
Corn head grease is a possible bandaid for light use.

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #14  
i have a tym t25 and i just picked up an old 5ft brush hog tonight. Thing is heavy built, deck is way thicker than the new entry units at tsc and rural king. That being said first i need to make sure the 3pt will lift it and the tractor handles it well. Second is if i have enough motor and if the tractors gear box will handle it. One would think it should as the old ford 8n's and farmal's had less hp and would run them fine. But those old tractors were built heavyer and bigger than these new compacts. Thoughts?

Lets be fair on your comparison. The Ford 8Ns were rated at 27 HP at the PTO. Newer tractors are rated at the engine. the t25 has 18hp at the PTO. So your tractor has 2/3 of the HP of the Ford 8N. Hydrostatic transmissions rob more power than a gear transmission. 5 foot brush hogs really requires a minimum of 20 HP and that is marginal. I ran a 5 foot King Kutter on a 27 PTO HP John Deere and if you were in taller grass, you had to creep along and feather the clutch to keep it from stalling. I have a 7 foot rotary on my 55 PTO HP tractor and I get the same results, taller grass requires ultra low speeds. By the way, that 7 foot Bush Hog is rated for 50 to 90 HP so my tractor is in the guidelines.

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #15  
Good Evening Caleb90,
There are several factors to consider,
hp to run the brush hog, gear or hydro transmission.
Lou has it pretty much summed up !My MF 1040 is about 32hp with 28 at the pto. It is a heavy tractor, with loader over 5000 lb. When I am doing the hills on my property with a 5ft bush hog, this tractor is working hard. On the flats, its fine ! If your doing flat mowing you should be OK, especially if its not that high and dense !

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #16  
Good Evening Caleb90,

Lou has it pretty much summed up !My MF 1040 is about 32hp with 28 at the pto. It is a heavy tractor, with loader over 5000 lb. When I am doing the hills on my property with a 5ft bush hog, this tractor is working hard. On the flats, its fine ! If your doing flat mowing you should be OK, especially if its not that high and dense !
Let’s step back here for second and ask the bushog tall sided or short height. Why taller the wall side the less horsepower needed as you have more time to chew up material with taller wall height. Granted 19 hp on 5 foot bushog is minimal HP however I have been doing it with woods bushog for years. Taller grasses i am running at low ground speed at 2400 rpm. No issues using ls MT225S with the woods bushog. Rule thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of bushog exceptions are with wall height of bushog. The taller the wall height the less horsepower needed.

Weight is always concerning however you are always running the bushog parallel with the field with trailing wheel bearing weight. Troubles can arise on transport with bushog lifted. Common sense and training is always required running tractor and implement promoting safety. Know your equipment limits to avoid accidents.

No doubt any 1 series sub compact tractor should be using 4 ft bushog. Getting to point the bushog is heavier than the tractor (sub compact) this is not advisable combination whatsoever.

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #17  
Getting to point the bushog is heavier than the tractor (sub compact) this is not advisable combination whatsoever
Good Evening rodneyn,
I can’t disagree with that statement! Can it be done ? Yes probably, but not advisable !

The walls on this one are about 8in or so. Id say the unit weighs 500-600lbs. The stuff i knocked down today was about 4ft tall, and wet as it was raining. Yes a 4ft cutter would be best, but they seem to be hard to come by used. Hard to justify spending 1300 on a new one when i only have to mow 1.5 or so acers once maybe twice a year.

/ 5ft brush hog on a 25hp compact #19  
Corn head grease is a possible bandaid for light use.
Also sold as cotton picker or spindle grease, or pourable grease.
Screenshot_20231230_214936_Chrome.jpg

What grade shear bolt should i be using? I picked up grade 5 bolts and sheared one already just engaging the pto. Tractor idles at 1400rpm, and it slams in when i engage the electronic clutch. May have to try and lower the idle rpm