55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #21  
I dunno, I have a neighbor who's been using heating oil in his loader for years with no problems. I don't know if he adds anything to it, maybe some Power Service.
It all depends on the age of the equipment. Diesel engines of yore could happily burn almost any oil. The new smog throttled engines with DPF, EGR and a common rail injection system are much more fuel particular.

The neighbor's experience with a 20 year old machine is NOT applicable to one's new $50,000 tractor.... Unless one has $$ to burn on repair. But then, $$ is still better spent on proper fuel.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #22  
It all depends on the age of the equipment. Diesel engines of yore could happily burn almost any oil. The new smog throttled engines with DPF, EGR and a common rail injection system are much more fuel particular.
I didn't realize that. My neighbor's loader is way more than 20 years old.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel
I toted my clean 55 gal drum to town and brought 55 gallons of farm diesel home. Saved $1 per gal in road tax (y)
The attendent said 300 gal is the min home delivery :oops: so yeah - I better get used to this routine forking the barrel in and out of the van and here and there etc. Thank God for the forklift. I'm sure the tractor would do it but the forklift is the best tool for the job. Sure beats a mess of 5 gal jugs though. Will add another picture later. This strap is attached below the rim at the top of the barrel. The fork pocket swings 360 so the barrel can be laid down or pour. I'll just pump out of it upright. I don't have the safty chains on it yet but I do have a dolly for rolling around the shop.

Attachments

• barrel lift.png
    barrel lift.png
    549.2 KB · Views: 72
  • barrel dolly.png
    barrel dolly.png
    718.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
   / 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #24  
And that clamp will hold onto a plastic drum full of fuel while you lift it with the forks? Doesn't slip?

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #25  
Tell me that you’re adding diesel conditioner/lubricant/cetane boost!!! NONE of that is in heating oil and possibly sulphur levels are another concern. Not the best idea in my humble opinion…🤷

Having known two guys that run a delivery business for home heating oil that told me they only had two fuel oil tanks at the local refinery. Dyed and non dyed.
The taxes are different if its being sold as farm vs heating oil.
Cant say about the sulfur content but myself and many others have been using it for years.

And that clamp will hold onto a plastic drum full of fuel while you lift it with the forks? Doesn't slip?
It work good. The barrel has a stout little lip at the top. The clamp has a tension bolt so you can adjust how hard you want to grip. I adjusted it as tight as I dared without distorting the barrel relying on the lip to hold it. I calculate the drum to be around 400 pounds full. I just now raised it out of the van and set it in the barn.
In a little bit I will fill everything up and put it on the dolly on the concrete floor section of the barn to the left of these pics

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
   / 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #27  
Having known two guys that run a delivery business for home heating oil that told me they only had two fuel oil tanks at the local refinery. Dyed and non dyed.
The taxes are different if its being sold as farm vs heating oil.
Cant say about the sulfur content but myself and many others have been using it for years.
I been doing it for 10 years, add some howes treatment and never had an issue.

Been gathering parts to use a filter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1HSQ33F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and 12v pump with the barrel. Found plenty of 2" taps for a 55 gal rain barrel on amazon. Grabbed one with a 3/4 pipe threaded hole in the center. 3/4 is overkill but it fits my pump hose. At Lowes I got some pipe and fittings. Lowes has a powerized threading machine. Clerk there cut 4inches of thread on the end of a 4ft galv pipe and cut it off for me. This 4 in threaded nipple will go through the plug and allow me to attach a pipe going to the bottom of the barrel. In hind sight (20/20) this pipe coulda been 1/2 inch material and the 4 inches of threaded end coulda been 3" and not cut off. Simply cut teh pipe to be an inch off the bottom.
Anyway heres what I got so far.

Attachments

• IMG_3056.JPG
    IMG_3056.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 70
   / 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #29  
I am very interested to see your project completed, @scootr

I have just about everything, minus the fork clamp to move the barrel, and the pump + hoses. Basically, I have a barrel and ideas. :D

I am very interested to see your project completed, @scootr

I have just about everything, minus the fork clamp to move the barrel, and the pump + hoses. Basically, I have a barrel and ideas. :D
I had the pump long before the barrels. I used it with 5gal jugs. Honestly I wish now I had a rotary pump made specifically for a 55gal barrel but - the old racing saying is you run what you brung... and I brought a fairly expensive high volume electric pump. The good side of that is it will fill anything FAST. But you have to keep a little battery around and stuff.
I really believe a manual rotary pump yielding 8-10 gpm is the best option for the barrel tank. GL and let me know what you end up with