55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel
That is AWESOME! Thank you so much for sharing!
Hey thanks! It works awesome. Fueled the [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] yesterday. It was the easiest, cleanest, fastest refueling ever.
I used an old fashion fuel gauge stick to check the level a couple of times. Don't want to overfill and spill. The little 1/4x1/2 stick resides on the barrel top now :giggle:

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #42  
I read online that diesel fuel will react with the lining in plastic drums and contaminate the fuel. I didn't realize that plastic drums had a lining, but until I signed in here, did I know that someone other than me had the idea to use a plastic drum for diesel. No rust problem and easy to keep clean. Long time users here seem to have no problem with diesel reacting with the drum.

I can get a new closed head plastic 55 gallon polyethylene drum for a decent price. My question is is there a particular drum color that is better than another? I'll be storing it inside a garage, so weather is no problem. I thought perhaps the white drum may be an advantage since you MAY be able to see remaining fuel level in it.

Thank you for your help.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #43  
Stored inside may be ok but my sprayer which uses a clear 55 gal drum has not held up well to the sun. On the other hand I have a black one that held diesel for years and now holds used oil and has been in outside for 23 years.
I have a blue drum that has been outside for 5 years or so with no degradation.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #44  
I read online that diesel fuel will react with the lining in plastic drums and contaminate the fuel. I didn't realize that plastic drums had a lining, but until I signed in here, did I know that someone other than me had the idea to use a plastic drum for diesel. No rust problem and easy to keep clean. Long time users here seem to have no problem with diesel reacting with the drum.

I can get a new closed head plastic 55 gallon polyethylene drum for a decent price. My question is is there a particular drum color that is better than another? I'll be storing it inside a garage, so weather is no problem. I thought perhaps the white drum may be an advantage since you MAY be able to see remaining fuel level in it.

Thank you for your help.
I never thought about a lining, but when you said that it made me think of the several 5 gallon plastic cans I have. Gas and diesel, never an issue. But then they probably dont have a liner. But come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a liner in a blue drum either? 🤔

Either way, it's not a problem until it is.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel
Blue plastic drums are made of HMWPE, white plastic are made of HDPE. The HMWPE blue barrels are tougher and resist the diesel fuel longer than the white ones or the regular plastic 5gal fuel cans which are also made of HDPE.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #46  
Blue plastic drums are made of HMWPE, white plastic are made of HDPE. The HMWPE blue barrels are tougher and resist the diesel fuel longer than the white ones or the regular plastic 5gal fuel cans which are also made of HDPE.
I’ve been using red plastic gas cans for over 40 years and never experienced any problems. I do have some blue plastic drums but never used them for fuel, they do seem like nice heavy duty barrels.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #47  
I've looked all over an can find no 55 gallon barrels made from HMWPE.