55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #11  
If you want the suds to go away quicker just poor a half of gallon of liquid fabric softener in there with water and slosh it around. Suds will disappear.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #12  
Edit: I actually wrote this yesterday, but someone distracted me and I just saw that I never did hit the Post Reply button!

When I think about cleaning out large containers, I go back to my home brewing lessons. Use a Clean In Place ball or CIP ball (link)

I'm trying to think of a way to use this with a garden hose, upside down. You could make a little stand for the barrel where the opening is at the bottom. The ball goes up into the barrel and spins water at the rapid rate in all directions. Since its upside down, the water and soaps should simply flow out the other hole. Leave it run for a bit.

Or if that is too much, probably keep filling it up and dumping it until you're good!

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #13  
I did see this video a while back and I put together an amazon list of all the parts I'd need to make it. I considered upping the volume to a 55 gallon drum, but never got to this project. Maybe now I will.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #14  
I thought about a plastic barrel as the previous owner had left a couple on my place years ago but ended up getting a local metal barrel that had oil in it. One of those local guys that gets barrels from local industries and sells then on MP. I bought a new GPI EZ-8 pump plus installed a filter on the outlet.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #15  
If your going to use any type of barrel make sure the top is protected from rain. Those barrel tops like to collect water.

I use a 275gal heating oil tank. Local heating oil companies have a 100gal minimum. I burn heating oil in my machines with no issues.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel
If you want the suds to go away quicker just poor a half of gallon of liquid fabric softener in there with water and slosh it around. Suds will disappear.
I hit upon this same idea. The hose I used had a ball valve on the end with a very small handle. It fit through the 2" hole. Partially opened it sprays a fan of water fiercely. put this in the barrel and inverted it. Then moved the barrel around while standing on the hose to keep it from coming out. It whipped around in the barrel pretty good. So between the hose moving and the barrel moving I'm pretty sure it's clean enough now. Thank you

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #17  
… I burn heating oil in my machines with no issues.
Tell me that you’re adding diesel conditioner/lubricant/cetane boost!!! NONE of that is in heating oil and possibly sulphur levels are another concern. Not the best idea in my humble opinion…🤷

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #18  
Tell me that you’re adding diesel conditioner/lubricant/cetane boost!!! NONE of that is in heating oil and possibly sulphur levels are another concern. Not the best idea in my humble opinion…🤷
Sure am. Keep the stuff right under the hand pump. I have all older high pressure injected equipment.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #19  
I bought this pump 2-3 years ago. Use it for gas, diesel, or water. (I only use it for gas. Have a 275 gal tote for diesel with different pump)
Works great. Pumps 8-10 gal/minute.

/ 55 gallon plastic barrel cleaning for fuel #20  
I dunno, I have a neighbor who's been using heating oil in his loader for years with no problems. I don't know if he adds anything to it, maybe some Power Service.