5045E Wiring/Diagnostic Guide

/ 5045E Wiring/Diagnostic Guide
That voltage was either 12.5 volts or 14.5. I've done everything you have described.

I tried my jumper cables, my tractors cables and another set of smaller cables. I do not believe all three are bad.

/ 5045E Wiring/Diagnostic Guide #44  
"On the bench I had an old battery. I wired from the negative battery post to the frame of the starter. Then I wired from the positive of the battery to the big post on the starter. I hooked up a separate wire from the battery positive and touched the "s" terminal and it spun."
1) On the bench: an old battery, using your jumper cables negative to starter frame, positive to large post...then separate wire "S" to big post and it works... Correct?
2) Now take that same old battery, jumper cables, starter outside...do the EXACT same thing, everything laying on the ground. Starter runs...Correct? If not, take everything back to the bench. If it runs proceed to 3.
3) Simply pick starter up off of ground and bolt to engine...do not wire to tractor YET!
Simply connect your jumper cables, wire to "S" and starter runs...Correct? If not, unbolt and go back to bench. If starter cranks engine (and it will) then connect only the big battery post to starter. Jump that to "S". Does it crank?

I have a new starter coming on Monday. I'll do that with the new starter because it is a giant PIA to get to the bottom nut of the starter. You cannot get to it with your fingers or a socket. You have to use a crows foot.
I still have another major problem though. I am getting 12 volts to the "s" terminal in the run and start position.

/ 5045E Wiring/Diagnostic Guide #46  
I have a new starter coming on Monday. I'll do that with the new starter because it is a giant PIA to get to the bottom nut of the starter. You cannot get to it with your fingers or a socket. You have to use a crows foot.
I still have another major problem though. I am getting 12 volts to the "s" terminal in the run and start position.
That 12v run and crank can get confusing because it depends on impedance of meter.
With my high input impedance Fluke I can ground the black lead and hold the red lead. With other hand touch battery positive and it will read 12 volts.
If starter runs on bench it will run on tractor connected the same way on bench using same battery and cables. Correct?

/ 5045E Wiring/Diagnostic Guide #48  
You have not repeated the bench test on the tractor.

You are playing musical positive cables.

For starters....with jumper cables on the battery.....you aren't "actually" on the battery. Rather the cable connection to the battery.

Second....jumper cable straight from tractor battery to starter and nothing....straight from truck battery and nothing.....but what about the ground. If you are leaving that still connected to the tractor battery.....the current still has to flow through the ground cable.....to wherever it's grounded.....and through the frame/block to get the starter grounded.

Basically you need to repeat the bench test and jump BOTH straight to the starter while bridging S terminal.

Again....repeat the bench test EXACTLY......but with the starter bolted to tractor and not flopping on a bench

Yes I did. It didn't work.

/ 5045E Wiring/Diagnostic Guide #50  
Did it spark like something was trying to work?

Did the solenoid make a audible click?

Have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer?

Is the engine on the tractor seized?