~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability?

/ ~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability? #31  
Congrats on your purchase! Hope it serves you well!

Specifically, the 2850M I looked at had 3-pt ends/swivels that spun 90 degrees to go from Cat 1 to Cat 2! Genius!

Deere had this feature available at least as early as 2002 on my 5220 -may be on other makes as well

/ ~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability? #32  
I own a Kubota L-4600 today. In relatively flat Oklahoma where I grew up, it was a great tractor for chores but, where I am at in Texas is sloped with feral hog wallows hidden in the pasture grass and similar obstacles that are hard to see from the seat.

I need something that is stable using a loader out in my pasture which my L-4600 is not. For those that will ask, yes my tires are loaded with "beet juice / rim guard" with wheel weights and normally a heavy 6' tiller for ballast and it is still too light in the rear. It also has a high center of gravity with a narrow "footprint" for loader work.

I need a tractor heavy enough for normal farm chores for me including but, not limited to using:
  • post hole digger
  • bush hog (AKA rotary cutter) so at least 35Hp PTO as a hard minimum
  • heavy loader work
    • big round bale movements (not stacking)
    • buckets of wet soil
    • Skid Steer pallet forks with moderately heavy loads like pallets of range cubes or half pallets of concrete
I am looking for something with a good cab which will serve me well as I get older than I am today. To me, this means easy entry and exit, air conditioning that works well in Texas heat and humidity, and ergonomic controls that won't fatigue me with age or extended use like mowing around trees and other obstacles.

My initial search has me looking at the TYM T574 and Massey 2850M/2860M since they have relatively good dealer support around me. Yanmar is of interest but, that dealer is ~200 miles away! The Massey options are in the $45K range new and the TYM is in the $38K range so, while $7K is a lot of money, not enough to encourage me to buy the wrong tractor due to cost.

John Deere and Kubota generally dominate this market space but, Kubota is not of interest right now because their tractors are too light for their loaders and are generally undersized in the class IMHO. John Deere's business model has this diehard legacy John Deere owner looking somewhere else these days. "Right to repair" may get around their proprietary software issues for fixing a broken tractor but, that was a real turn-off for me. United Ag and Turf, the local John Deere dealer, has not been a good experience generally so far when I went there for implements and similar stuff.

What are people's experiences with Mahindra and LS tractors in this class? LS dealer support is weak but, Mahindra seems to be really making an impact on the Lowes and Home Depot garden tractor shopping crowd that just bought a small acreage. I am open to other brands that have reasonable support and a track record of being good for the owners and long-term dealers.

TIA,
Sid

Where did you get that information? What is meant by "tractors are too light for their loaders"?

I have a MX5400 which is close in hp to the TYM T574.

TYM T574 (55 hp)= 3887 lb (weight with ROPS)
MX5400 (54 hp) = 3734 lb (weight with ROPS)

The Massey 2850M seems to be 300 lbs heavier than the MX5400 but my rear filled tires easily surpass that amount and wheel weights can also be added.
Massey 2850M (48 hp) = 4035 lb (weight with ROPS)

I would suggest getting seat time in all the equivalent tractor sizes where you can get dealer support before making your decision. Don't go on misinformation.

/ ~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability? #33  
So I am confused? Are you still shopping for a smaller tractor?

You have a bit of contradictory info in your first post.....

You say:

Kubota is not of interest right now because their tractors are too light for their loaders and are generally undersized in the class IMHO

Then you say

My initial search has me looking at the TYM T574 or massey 2850

..................................Kubota MX5400.............TYM574...............Massey 285
Weight w/cab......................4251......................4233...................4420
Front tires.........................9.5x16.....................9.5x16.................9.5-16
Rear..................................14.9x26...................14.9x26................13.6-28
3PH lift..............................2310...........................3057...................3086
Wheelbase..........................74.6............................76.2
Loader lift height.................111.2..........................110.2..................111
Loader lift capacity...............2275...........................2790...................2570

The bare tractor TYM574 is about a dead ringer for a kubota MX5400. Yet has a ~500# stronger loader and you are worried the kubota loader is too powerful for the machine???? The massey is not much bigger. Just a few hundred pounds more but physically about the same size.

I have an older version....MX5100. I have 600# wheel weights, 700# tire ballast....and I can still tell you that unless you hang 1000lbs off the back you cannot use the loader to its fullest extent.

But I can tell you that either of these tractors.....or any tractor still wearing 16" front rubber (4wd models) is probably too small for 2000# pallets or large round bale moving.

What transmission are you looking at? IF you are wanting a HST trans......you are already looking at about the largest you can get with a HST.

But if you are looking at a gear tractor.....and wanting to lift 2000# pallets and move the LARGE round bales....you need to jump up one frame size. The deere 5045-5075 series. Which are all the same basic tractor with different optional HP ratings. OR the M4 kubota line

You need to get up around a 5000-6000 bare tractor weight to move round bales. Unless your plan is to move them off the 3PH

/ ~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability?
That tractor is double the size of what you started this thread with. I couldn't use anything that big. I look forward to seeing pics of it in action!

We are getting our UTV in Paris. Just found out my T574 is ready. Now I have to get it out there.

Actually, I have 3 work tractors. A Kubota B2601, currently a Kubota L-4600 that needs to move on, and my yet to be delivered Massey 5711D.

The big Massey is going to be most useful for the loader capacity with downed trees where I live and similar hard lifts around fence lines with downed trees letting cattle out. It will also run my rotary cutter (bush hog) better and the weight of my 3-pt sprayer won't be so risky when I'm down to 100 gallons and it is sloshing from side to side.

The mid-size tractor will be more nimble and compact for things like the posthole digger and working "in the trees" to pull out smaller stuff.

Then there are the simple joys of using a tractor like some people who own a Corvette for an occasional weekend drive. Some people have really expensive stereo systems but, for me, the sound of a hit-n-miss engine or a 2-cylinder John Deere is what I really enjoy for a special experience as opposed to Spotify on my cellphone which is more of an everyday sort of background noise most of the time. My new tractor won't make sense to many people but, I also don't understand the money spent on boats by my sister and similar people whether for water skiing or fishing.

We are getting our UTV in Paris. Just found out my T574 is ready. Now I have to get it out there.
Which UTV and dealer? Looked a bit at the Suzuki and Kawasaki dealer myself but, left with mixed feelings.

Is your TYM dealer around Paris as well?

@Sid Post have you considered the Kioti RX6620? I believe it comes as a cabbed model, has adjustable wheel spacing options, has a loader lift capacity over 3300lbs to full height, bare tractor weighs nearly 6000lbs; with loaded rears and loader probably weights nearly 9000. Not sure if Kioti is well represented in your area but might be worth a look. Not to mention it's probably less expensive than many other options.
Kioti might be a good option for some but, there isn't a dealer within ~150 miles, at least one I'm aware of that doesn't compete with Lowes and Home Depot!

Where did you get that information? What is meant by "tractors are too light for their loaders"?

I have a MX5400 which is close in hp to the TYM T574.

TYM T574 (55 hp)= 3887 lb (weight with ROPS)
MX5400 (54 hp) = 3734 lb (weight with ROPS)

The Massey 2850M seems to be 300 lbs heavier than the MX5400 but my rear filled tires easily surpass that amount and wheel weights can also be added.
Massey 2850M (48 hp) = 4035 lb (weight with ROPS)

I would suggest getting seat time in all the equivalent tractor sizes where you can get dealer support before making your decision. Don't go on misinformation.

From personal experience, the rear end lifts off the ground way too much. I have also come close to rolling it twice. :eek:

Sheer weight is part of the equation but, doesn't account for poor design choices. My L-4600 is taller than the lower horsepower twins but, isn't enough wider to keep the Cg as low as on those tractors. Then there is the skinny rear end which, while serviceable, is IMHO simply too light.

Even if the tractors are the same weight, if Cg is too far forward with excessive weight up front, tractor stability is at best compromised. Also, 4WD tractors tend to mask this since they "pull" when the rears don't really engage the ground very well.

So I am confused? Are you still shopping for a smaller tractor?

You have a bit of contradictory info in your first post.....

You say:

Then you say

..................................Kubota MX5400.............TYM574...............Massey 285
Weight w/cab......................4251......................4233...................4420
Front tires.........................9.5x16.....................9.5x16.................9.5-16
Rear..................................14.9x26...................14.9x26................13.6-28
3PH lift..............................2310...........................3057...................3086
Wheelbase..........................74.6............................76.2
Loader lift height.................111.2..........................110.2..................111
Loader lift capacity...............2275...........................2790...................2570

The bare tractor TYM574 is about a dead ringer for a kubota MX5400. Yet has a ~500# stronger loader and you are worried the kubota loader is too powerful for the machine???? The massey is not much bigger. Just a few hundred pounds more but physically about the same size.

I have an older version....MX5100. I have 600# wheel weights, 700# tire ballast....and I can still tell you that unless you hang 1000lbs off the back you cannot use the loader to its fullest extent.

But I can tell you that either of these tractors.....or any tractor still wearing 16" front rubber (4wd models) is probably too small for 2000# pallets or large round bale moving.

What transmission are you looking at? IF you are wanting a HST trans......you are already looking at about the largest you can get with a HST.

But if you are looking at a gear tractor.....and wanting to lift 2000# pallets and move the LARGE round bales....you need to jump up one frame size. The deere 5045-5075 series. Which are all the same basic tractor with different optional HP ratings. OR the M4 kubota line

You need to get up around a 5000-6000 bare tractor weight to move round bales. Unless your plan is to move them off the 3PH

Tractor stability is the issue. I think a 4,000lb to 5,000lb tractor that is properly balanced is what I really need for lighter-duty chores when a 10,000lb cabbed tractor is simply too big and cumbersome.

A real usable loader capacity of ~2,000lbs should lift a round bale for general movement with most hay bales and the 3-pt will easily handle another.

And yes, I am mainly looking for a geared tractor. An HST in a hay field or with a rotary cutter is not something I enjoy using. Been there and done that in the past with a friend's Kioti.

/ ~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability? #39  
How about a skid steer? No worries then about lifting.

/ ~50~60Hp compact cabbed tractor with a good loader and lots of stability? #40  
From personal experience, the rear end lifts off the ground way too much. I have also come close to rolling it twice. :eek:

Sheer weight is part of the equation but, doesn't account for poor design choices. My L-4600 is taller than the lower horsepower twins but, isn't enough wider to keep the Cg as low as on those tractors. Then there is the skinny rear end which, while serviceable, is IMHO simply too light.

Even if the tractors are the same weight, if Cg is too far forward with excessive weight up front, tractor stability is at best compromised. Also, 4WD tractors tend to mask this since they "pull" when the rears don't really engage the ground very well.
You made the claim of Kubota's being to light for their loaders.

My personal experience is with the proper ballast and not exceeding the FEL limits the Kubota is just as robust as any other tractor.

The Cg too far forward would be true for any tractor. I can't say if the Cg of the Kubota is farther forward than any other tractor but I would find it hard to believe that Kubota would design a tractor where the Cg would make it inherently dangerous.