480ck

/ 480ck #1  

glennholden211

Tractor
1970 case 480ck
Gotta a 1970 480ck with a stuck gas engine...stuck bad enough were rebuild in the frame not happening.. anyone ever pull a engine outta one of these? Looking for some helpful hints..looks like it's gonna be quite the process 🙄

/ 480ck #2  
Is this a bare tractor, tractor with loader, or tractor, loader, backhoe..?? If it's a bare tractor, it will save a lot of work. If it has a loader, and/or backhoe too, it would be a lot easier to work on the engine with the loader and backhoe removed. If it's designed like my 310B, the rear mounting of the loader, and backhoe mount share a common mount at the rear axle. It's quite a job to remove these, before you get to actually removing the engine.

I do believe there is a YouTube video of removing the engine, with loader, and backhoe still attached, but with the loader attached, there is a lot of iron to work around. In my case, I opted to remove the loader, and hoe. Either way, the front axle, and radiator assembly needs to be removed to pull the engine. On my 310B, the loader had a heavy duty guard around the radiator assembly, making it pretty difficult to work around, and why I opted to get the loader out of the way.

Once you get down to the bare bones tractor, it's pretty easy to work on, depending on what you have to work with. I had an I-Beam with 3 chain hoists on trolley's, so I could remove the front axle, hand it on one hoist, roll it down out of the way. I have a HD transmission jack, put it under the torque tube, so I could roll the tractor ahead, then pulled the engine with another hoist.

In my case, the engine was fine, but needed clutch work. Chipmunks had packed the bellhousing with string, nutshells, and anything else they could get through the inspection holes, to build a nest. It all got wound up in the pressure plate, and would not let it fully release. Mine had the button type clutch, which to me looked like 3, sintered bronze pads. It hardly showed any wear, neither did the flywheel. Once I got a 10 quart bucket full of "stuff" out of there, it seemed to fully release, which I found it did, after reassembly. I did however replace the clutch release bearing while I was in there.

I would advise finding a service repair manual for it. I found one for my 310B, and also my newer 480C on ebay. There are several, which look to be quality reprints on ebay right now for a bit over $100. Consider it money well spent. They are like 3"-4" thick, and very descriptive, with lots of pictures of actual repairs.

The key finding parts is using the OEM part numbers. I'm attaching a link to Case Construction, which has the tractor/loader, and tractor/loader/backhoe. Search 480CK | MyCNHi US Store Open the links, then drill down through to find the function group, then open that. Should be an exploded view of the function group, part description, and OEM part number. If you select a local dealer on that site, it will give the price at Case Construction. But, you can copy and paste the number to Google, and comparison shop, till you drop. You'll want to run some part numbers on ebay too, if you deal there. Lots of OEM/NOS parts show up there, for way less than Case prices.

I found a place here in Ohio that has pretty decent aftermarket parts and prices. I've gotten brake parts, master cylinders, and a water pump from them. Remanufactured Transmissions, Torque Converters, Engines - Joseph Industries Their search feature is rather limited, unless they've improved it. But, if you have the OEM part number, give them a call. Last time I ordered, I spoke with a woman, who knew her stuff, but other sales staff were the same way. Get a few prices elsewhere, doing searches, then call them. They had the best prices of all.

Hope this helps... Good luck..!!

/ 480ck
Thank you much for replying, it's still got the loader and backhoe attached...just about everything is unbolted and ready to move front axle forward, hope it's enough room to pull motor up😬..thank you for the parts hint... certainly isn't easy finding parts for this thing. The service manual was the best money I've spent so far.

/ 480ck #4  
Good to hear you have the service manual. I'm sure you'll find it invaluable as you go along, if not already. I'd have to guess 12" may be enough space to get the flywheel, and pressure plate fingers out past the bell housing intact.

Using the OEM part numbers from the parts book is definitely the key to finding parts. Google can definitely be your friend when looking. I found there are a few vendors out there, that specialize in parts for these older models. And apparently some have bought up a lot of NOS parts that have set on other dealers shelves for years. I wish I could pass those on, but were saved on a computer, that went up in smoke 10 years ago.

The old 310B was an Ag tractor, that they just added the loader and backhoe. At that time, I could search for the tractor parts itself, on the Case/IH online parts book. Probably still can, but since they revamped their parts pages, they've eliminated many of those parts, mainly the ones they don't handle anymore, especially the cast parts. Transmission shifting top, w/levers, axle housings, etc. I've resorted to buying OEM parts manuals/catalogs at swap meets, or a good reprint, from other places. It has also driven up the price of OEM manuals. I found a nice one for my Super C Farmalls at a swap meet this week. He had a price of $48.00 on it. It was nice, but not that nice, LOL.. Time to put another "saved search" on ebay I guess.

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say the brakes may not be the best on that tractor. I will say, Joseph Industries had the best prices on those parts at the time. From master cylinders, to actual brake parts, like the ball bearings in the expanders, the springs that hold the expanders together, etc. I'm thinking that model tractor doesn't have the master cylinder type braking system, but the disc brakes themselves should be similar.

Good luck..!!