4720 PTO Light flashing?

/ 4720 PTO Light flashing? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
Any owners of a newer model 4720 cab...Yesterday, I got to try the rear PTO for mowing with my MY2011 4720 cab. Unlike my previous JD cab, the PTO light in the 4720 "flashes" (actually there are two lights that are flashing, page 20 of the owners manual letter N) opposed to being lit but "not flashing" when PTO is engaged. Everything seemed to be working fine...should the PTO indicator be flashing while the PTO is engaged on this model?

/ 4720 PTO Light flashing? #2  
I've got a 4520 cab and the light doesn't flash.

/ 4720 PTO Light flashing? #3  
You said two lights are flashing. What other light is flashing?

/ 4720 PTO Light flashing?
my dash has 3 pto lights two to the left and one on top of the other and one on the right. when the rear is engaged both lights on the left flash but when running the mid only, the light on the right is solid yellow.

/ 4720 PTO Light flashing? #5  
The PTO indicator lamps should be solid. You should have one light if operating the rear PTO only and two lights if operating the mid and rear. This unit does not have an independent mid and rear PTO. If you have flashing PTO lights then one of the PTO switches is not operating correctly. The 3rd lamp is not used on this unit.
Hope this helps.

The PTO indicator lamps should be solid. You should have one light if operating the rear PTO only and two lights if operating the mid and rear. This unit does not have an independent mid and rear PTO. If you have flashing PTO lights then one of the PTO switches is not operating correctly. The 3rd lamp is not used on this unit.
Hope this helps.

this is helpful thanks...I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue. With my 2011 4720, I'm confused, about a few things regarding the PTOs.

1) the Owner's Manual and the Tech Manual say I can run the rear and mid independent or both at the same time -like the 3720 I had. However, I can only run the rear only and when in mid, both PTOs turn. The dealer says this is how it should work, but I'm having trouble accepting this since the manuals say otherwise.

2) now for the display lights. when in rear PTO (only) both PTO lights on the left side blink (My dash has 3 PTO lights two on the left side - one above the other and one to right of those two) Now, when in mid PTO (with both spinning) the top one on the left is solid.

Attachments

• img-509064236-0001.pdf
    327 KB · Views: 266
   / 4720 PTO Light flashing? #7  
The dealer is correct the OM is incorrect and refers to a 3x20. The rear PTO will have to operate in order for the MID to function. By the design, the mid PTO is powered by the rear.
The Top two lights should function; the lower PTO light is for the 540E option. You will have PTO lights flashing when the switches are connected incorrectly. I would suspect the mid switch wiring harness is connected to the 540E connector.

Hope this helps.

The dealer is correct the OM is incorrect and refers to a 3x20. The rear PTO will have to operate in order for the MID to function. By the design, the mid PTO is powered by the rear.
The Top two lights should function; the lower PTO light is for the 540E option. You will have PTO lights flashing when the switches are connected incorrectly. I would suspect the mid switch wiring harness is connected to the 540E connector.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply and the information...I'm getting closer to working this out.:confused2:

update - a few guys from the dealership came out and changed the pto wire plugs around and the pto indicator lights make sense now (not sure they operate as the OM says) but when in rear pto, the rear pto light is solid and when in mid both lights are on and solid. i can live with this.

however, i'm still shaking my head about how the OM says you can operate rear only, mid only or both, but i can only operate rear only on both...