4720-400X loader-no hook up!

/ 4720-400X loader-no hook up! #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
well like a dummy, I was going to give the machine a good power wash and PM last week (including fixing leaking fuel filter which was subject of prior post) but figuring this would drag on for a week or so, did not want to drop loader on asphalt driveway-so dropped it on dirt at barn. I should have known better (soft, uneven) but a week later I go to put loader back on and manage to screw it up. can't get one tower to lock. Ground was not perfectly level where I dropped it and also wet.

Bottom line afte fooling around for two hours using jacks, a chain fall hooked to pick up trying to straighten loader I quit for the night.

Figure if I can get one side locked on in AM I'll drive up to drive and try it on level asphalt.

Anyone have similar experience? Never had this much trouble with my 3320 or this 4720.

/ 4720-400X loader-no hook up! #2  
I've only had mine off the 4720 once for a cleaning and maintenance and fortunately it was on a level concrete drive so no issues. I was actually surprised at how easy it was. Only reason I haven't done it more often is the loader is my most used attachment.

/ 4720-400X loader-no hook up! #3  
Ya you might have to drag to a more level spot if you can get a partial hook up.

That really is most likely all it is and its just extremely frustrating and if your not real careful too it might land on the floor boards and wreck the rubber and paint too. I know :D

This happens to me a lot at my farm job as no matter how much I stress the fact to OTHERS to remove it on solid level ground it is often left on soft uneven soil

Worse thing I ever did was show the boss's kid how to remove the loader frame from our 4320 down at work. He removes it to mow now and I always have to put it back for other tasks and as I often use the bucket or forks almost daily I dont usually remove it. But I am the guy that has to reinstall it!

And for two year these fools didn't even know it came off :rolleyes: Then one day I took it off and put it back on. When I came back after the weekend the loader as off again AND there was a huge pry bar and hammer on the ground next to it. :eek: The little dink pried it off he was clueless how it actually worked. So I went thru the motions showing him how to unlock it and use the hydro power it lift it off and back out from underneath. I also had to put colored tape on all the hoses to make it idiot proof because they mixed up the end caps somehow go figure!

/ 4720-400X loader-no hook up!
Well guys this AM I got it to a decent spot (with one side locked) and put az 1" oak board under the "feet". managed to get it level and it "clicked" right on. learned my lesson-no damage and for sure its coming off on a hard surface from now on. I have taken it off before on dirt-same with my 3320 but I guess this time ground was a little too uneven.

DFB-sounds like you should takew any sharp tools away from your co-"workers":duh:

/ 4720-400X loader-no hook up! #5  
Glad you got it back on :D

It is almost impossible to remount if is tipped to one side.

Good advice I think will hide all the tools...

until I retire!

And the double dumbass thing is that the woods brush bull rotary cutter we use is so heavy and without the loader on the front end is too light and comes right up if you raise the mower.