4300 glow plugs?

/ 4300 glow plugs? #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
4300 hard starting cold. My first thought was glow plugs not working.

Parts book shows no glow plugs, just a manifold grid heater. I can't see much of the top of the head without removing the air filter housing. So would it be safe to assume there are no glow plugs? The air heater and related circuits would be what I should be looking at?

/ 4300 glow plugs? #2  
Last edited:
   / 4300 glow plugs?
Yes, I found that already. I also found a diagram of relays stating it's for a 4300. Doesn't say for what version, just 4300. It shows a number of relays, four of which pertain mainly to engine functions. (start relay, fuel shut off rely, etc) One listed as K1 manifold relay. What might that be, if not a manifold HEATER relay?

/ 4300 glow plugs? #4  
It should start instantly without the pre heater unless it is really cold. Weak battery is a probability.

/ 4300 glow plugs? #5  
4300 hard starting cold. My first thought was glow plugs not working.

Parts book shows no glow plugs, just a manifold grid heater. I can't see much of the top of the head without removing the air filter housing. So would it be safe to assume there are no glow plugs? The air heater and related circuits would be what I should be looking at?
Did you try the pre heater?

/ 4300 glow plugs?
It should start instantly without the pre heater unless it is really cold. Weak battery is a probability.
Maybe it SHOULD, but it doesn't. Nothing wrong battery wise, cranks well enough. Next step is to check out the heater. See if it's getting power, working or not, that sort of thing.

I just couldn't tell what it has yesterday, what with the fuel tank, coolant overflow tank, and air cleaner all in the road. Something has to come off to get to it. Trying to peek around the loader frame I couldn't see what holds the air cleaner on.

/ 4300 glow plugs? #7  
Find yourself a service tech manual for the 4300. It will help when tracking down a problem, as you have the wiring diagrams in front of you.

FEL is easy to drop, then raise the hood and remove the side panels. Should see voltage going to the heater when the ignition key is turned on and pushed inward. That "push in" for 10 seconds is what activates the heater.
Is that how you are engaging the heater?

/ 4300 glow plugs?
Find yourself a service tech manual for the 4300. It will help when tracking down a problem, as you have the wiring diagrams in front of you.

FEL is easy to drop, then raise the hood and remove the side panels. Should see voltage going to the heater when the ignition key is turned on and pushed inward. That "push in" for 10 seconds is what activates the heater.
Is that how you are engaging the heater?
The FEL is NOT easy to drop, because the hydraulics currently don't work either. If the heater was even visible, let alone accessible, I would already have checked that.

And yes, turning the key on and pushing in on it activates the glow plug light on the dash. That tells me at least the first portion of the circuit is working. I'll work my way through the rest of it as things progress. I don't think I need to invest in a service manual just to deal with this. Once I figure out what and where the various parts are, I think I can figure it out.

The next item on the list is to drain the hydraulic oil, clean the suction screen, put some new oil in and see what effect that has.

/ 4300 glow plugs? #9  
Maybe it SHOULD, but it doesn't. Nothing wrong battery wise, cranks well enough. Next step is to check out the heater. See if it's getting power, working or not, that sort of thing.

I just couldn't tell what it has yesterday, what with the fuel tank, coolant overflow tank, and air cleaner all in the road. Something has to come off to get to it. Trying to peek around the loader frame I couldn't see what holds the air cleaner on.

It is not the pre heater causing the hard cold start. My guess is it is working but don't help because that is not what is causing the hard start. Low compression, weak injector pump/injectors or air in the fuel system overnight.

I am unsure what you consider cold. I can't imagine Kentucky being cold right now. 20 degrees and above, the little Yanmar is good to go, without pre heat. If you mean zero or below, then yes you are probably on the right track.

/ 4300 glow plugs? #10  
Another question. When the key is turned on can you hear the injection pump solenoid clack? If not check or replace the thermistor that controls solenoid amperage. It should be in a wiring bundle behind the fuse block. They are under ten dollars.

Attachments

• A89BC421-F1F0-4309-B3BB-188FB1386F19.jpeg
    A89BC421-F1F0-4309-B3BB-188FB1386F19.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 337B2927-23AE-4B32-8528-F6216257C4FC.jpeg
    337B2927-23AE-4B32-8528-F6216257C4FC.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 43