Loader 430 FEL lift problem

/ 430 FEL lift problem #21  
The seal kit I was give is the AH176345 which worked great and was different than the stock one in it. The wire ring # was the same.

I thought the end cap was threaded when I started. Thats the 1st mistake I made because, as I was trying to unthread (I thought) I broke the wire where it hooks into the cylinder and then was not able to unwind the wire out of the endcap. Thats why if you get the wire 1st you will see how its going to work.

The hole in the endcap is what I used to rotate it. To take it apart think about it this way. The way you put it together is to put the wire ring in the little slot in the endcap. There is a little 90 degree bend in the wire which will hook into the cylinder and as you rotate the endcap it will swallow up the wire until its all gone to the far end of the wire ring. That why you need to figure which direction it is wound in.

/ 430 FEL lift problem #22  
Thanks Jeff.
I think I finally understand where and how that wire ring fits into the picture, and how it captures the end cap on the cylinder.
I made a copy of the schematic and your written explanation to keep in my 430 manual (when that time arrives :) )

/ 430 FEL lift problem #23  
I need to edit what I said before about where the hole is that you stick the wire ring in. After looking at my cylinder I noticed the notch/hole is in the cylinder and not in the endcap. So you stick the wire through the hole in the cylinder and attach it to the endcap (where the endcap fits up inside the cylinder) and rotate. And reverse order to take apart.

/ 430 FEL lift problem #24  
Jeff
Thanks, I found the slot with the wire in the cylinder near the end cap, and located just under the hyd connection at the top end. Appears that the rotation with wire will cause the end cap to stop at the right position.
Appreciate the heads-up. I kept looking into the round hole on the end cap, and not seeing a wire. But the slot is visible in the cylinder near that end cap.

/ 430 FEL lift problem #25  
My BIL retired from a local hydraulic shop where he rebuilt cylinders for the logging/trucking/mining industry. He gave me a hand when I rebuilt my "new style 4300 lift cylinder, using JD parts kit. He told me that A: if the cylinders are worn, old and gradually get worse, then rebuild them both. Mine only had 3000hrs on them and one suddenly gave up.... and B: most cylinder shops will have the seals you need at 1/3 the JD price.
I rebuilt the bad one and saved my second seal kit, just in case a curl cylinder goes next...BUT I've put another 1000hrs on the unit with no further FEL problems