Loader 430 FEL lift problem

/ 430 FEL lift problem #1  

billt102

Tractor
JD 4300 MFWD sync shifter 430 FEL
I was moving dirt and doing some digging this past weekend with my 4300 installing culverts. I was moving dirt from a stockpile to the culvert location (couple of hundred feet) and noticed the loader starting to drop during transit. The problem persisted and soon it was obvious it wasn't getting better.

I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was indeed low, (at the bottom of the observ. port). I added fluid (may have slightly overfilled, to the top of the observation port) but this didn't correct the problem. Could there be air in the lift cylinders? Curl works fine. 3 point raises and lowers perfectly. I want to exhaust all options before I rebuild the lift cylinders. Tractor has 1200 hours and this happened "all at once" I mean it was not leaking down or weak prior to becoming a limp noodle. Appreciate any help.
Thanks guys.

/ 430 FEL lift problem #2  
I was moving dirt and doing some digging this past weekend with my 4300 installing culverts. I was moving dirt from a stockpile to the culvert location (couple of hundred feet) and noticed the loader starting to drop during transit. The problem persisted and soon it was obvious it wasn't getting better.

I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was indeed low, (at the bottom of the observ. port). I added fluid (may have slightly overfilled, to the top of the observation port) but this didn't correct the problem. Could there be air in the lift cylinders? Curl works fine. 3 point raises and lowers perfectly. I want to exhaust all options before I rebuild the lift cylinders. Tractor has 1200 hours and this happened "all at once" I mean it was not leaking down or weak prior to becoming a limp noodle. Appreciate any help.
Thanks guys.

Switch the hose connections at the tractor, curl function of the lever will now make the loader go up/down and see what hapens

/ 430 FEL lift problem #3  
Bill, Welcome to TBN:D

If there is no external leaking, it sounds like one of the lift cylinders developed a internal leak and the fluid is bypassing. Not a terribly uncommon problem. The cylinders are easily rebuilt, and should be done in pairs. The where at least two type of cylinders used over the years-so either post a picture or the S/N of the loader and I can walk you through it.

Lwalsh's suggestion is a good one also to ensure it's not a valve problem-but that is unlikely.

/ 430 FEL lift problem
Thank you guys. After I posted I found a couple of other posts discussing extending the cylinders all the way out and "holding" to get any air out... I suspect I blew the cylinder seals digging in the clay. I will give extending them all the way out and back several times a try tonight and also switch the hoses and report in tomorrow, with the serial numbers if it is not by chance air related.

I have read some of the cylinder rebuild posts and i know this is odd but i am kind of looking forward to the challenge of rebuilding them...

Thanks again
Bill

/ 430 FEL lift problem #5  
Thank you guys. After I posted I found a couple of other posts discussing extending the cylinders all the way out and "holding" to get any air out... I suspect I blew the cylinder seals digging in the clay. I will give extending them all the way out and back several times a try tonight and also switch the hoses and report in tomorrow, with the serial numbers if it is not by chance air related.

I have read some of the cylinder rebuild posts and i know this is odd but i am kind of looking forward to the challenge of rebuilding them...

Thanks again
Bill

Great Bill, keep us informed:thumbsup: Now do me a favor and change your Avatar:eek:

/ 430 FEL lift problem #6  
Yeah, do change your avatar. I though Kenny was asking that question until I realized that just couldn't be possible... :)

/ 430 FEL lift problem
yes that avatar is just like yours... Accidental of course. I will find a more distinct logo..

/ 430 FEL lift problem
ok, new avatar transmitted...
Back to the issue. I am certain that it is the cylinders now, and figure I will rebuild them both. The numbers on the cylinders are JD AH163581 021899-1325 and the other side is identical except last four 1326.
Attached some pics.
I am heading out today, will check back in after 5pm CDT. Thanks again for the assistance.

Attachments

• FEL 001.jpg
    FEL 001.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 267
  • FEL 002.jpg
    FEL 002.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 190
  • FEL 003.jpg
    FEL 003.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 197
  • FEL 005.jpg
    FEL 005.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 211
   / 430 FEL lift problem #9  
Thanks Bill-I like the new Avatar:thumbsup:

You have the older-early version of the cylinders...Definitely do both at the same time. If you need help with parts numbers let me know, but I assume you are registered at JDParts?

/ 430 FEL lift problem
Yes I am registered. I looked this morning briefly for parts but i must not have been searching in the right place for the 430 loader. I will dig around more tonight and hopefully can find the part numbers for the "old style" cylinders. I thought that was what they were, I knew there were two types... it's a 2000 model I think and i am sure those are original.
I will get back to you if i need some assistance Kenny, thanks alot!
Bill