425 - model year changes and price check

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #51  
I want to see it, what most think is a 1to1 isn't even close.... or they go up till back wheels get on it and thats it.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #52  
I want to see it, what most think is a 1to1 isn't even close.... or they go up till back wheels get on it and thats it.
1 to 1 is 45 degrees.
PowerTrac says their PT1850 will do 45 degrees.
Go to Tazewell, walk in the showroom. They have one sitting there on a tilt table at 45 degrees.
Ask some of the TBN members here that have them. They'll tell you it's extremely uncomfortable to be on a slope that steep, but the machine handles it.

I don't know what else to tell you other than set up an appointment at Tazewell to test drive one. :)

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #53  
I know what a 1to1 is and i am positive i graded more 1to1 slopes than anyone one the forum cut grass on. sitting on a table and doing it is two different things. Shoot the grades and then watch and see ......

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #54  
I have measured my slopes in numerous places, I can attest that the 1445 will do 35 degrees with the brush cutter on (up, down, sideways), and about thirty degrees with an empty bucket. I haven't rolled mine so those are lower bounds, and all four wheels are on the ground, no uphill wheel lifts. No oil issues in the engine. I have a pair of inclinometers in the tractor as well.

Since the single wheel 1445 can do 35 degree slopes, I have no trouble believing the users here, and Power-Trac, that the 1850 can do 45 degrees, I.e. 1:1.

Since it has come up, one of my first jobs was surveying, so yes I do know how to measure slopes in general, and I particular for a 72" wide tractor.

Seriously, make an appointment at Power-Trac and Tazewell and go drive one yourself. They have a nice steep field out back.

All the best,

Peter

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #55  
I know what a 1to1 is and i am positive i graded more 1to1 slopes than anyone one the forum cut grass on. sitting on a table and doing it is two different things. Shoot the grades and then watch and see ......
I know how to measure slopes. ;)

I also know that the engine in my machine is only rated for 25 degrees of continuous operation. Most folks have no idea what the engine in their machine is rated at. That information isn't readily available, and most people don't even think about it.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #56  
I have a small section in my slopey property that is 45 (1:1). I cannot walk up it. I can however mow it with my 1850. Engine has no issues with oil pickup. Traction takes work. Super low tire pressure with patience and a tight as iron pucker meter is the way it happens. You saying it can’t happen just proves you know nothing about the capabilities of the pt.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #57  
94818FDE-EC1D-4F5D-A493-6D5DA30871A7.png

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #58  
I do know what a 425 and an old 422 won't do, And i do know slope work when you say traction takes work tells me all i need to know, you are on the edge. Don't worry i won't both you guys any more, Play with your toys

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #59  
When I say traction it involves 4psi on balloon tires. It works surprisingly well unless the grass is wet. I have a run out at the bottom of my hill. The guys who do dams is a different beast. But your comment was we are lying about the capability and I am here to tell you straight up the 1850 can handle the slopes.

/ 425 - model year changes and price check #60  
Most people think a slope is much steeper than it really is but I have played a little on 45 degree slopes with the 1850 when at my brother's place.. (And yes, I know how to measure angles - I even have slope indicators mounted to my 1850). If the grass is wet, I end up crabbing when going across the slope. No way I would want to go on 45° without the tilting seat. I never had the sense that I would tip. It is really more a question of whether you will slide. Sometimes chains seemed to help. Other times, they seemed to make it worse.

Ken