405 Belarus circa 1986

/ 405 Belarus circa 1986 #1  

Renfrew

Tractor
425 Belarus
Hi,I am looking for some advice. My 405 Belarus tractor, new in 1986 or thereabouts, suddenly came to abrupt halt a couple of days ago. It would not move forward or backward, stalling the engine if I tried. I jack up each rear wheel and was able to wiggle them both. The transmission allowed to shift gears normally. Yesterday I lifted the tractor up by the hitch and towed to the garage yard.I noticed that when both rear tires touched the ground , they both dragged. When only one touched the ground, the other would free-wheel. Either wheel would free-wheel when the other touched the ground (it rocked back and forth as I was towing it). So that leads me to believe that the problem is perhaps the pinion gear in the rea end. So my question for now is, what are the proper steps (in what order) to break the tractor apart to get at and remove the problem gears?

/ 405 Belarus circa 1986 #2  
I wouldn't start splitting the tractor just yet.
The shifters in tractor transmissions sometimes get out of position and can be realigned by simply removing the shift lever. I hope a Belarus owner will come on and tell you that is the problem and how to solve it.

/ 405 Belarus circa 1986 #3  
I might have been totally wrong as i'm not familiar with the Belarus. The information at the link below about a different Belarus of the same vintage might be useful. One response is grim. 87 Belarus 420A won't shift into gear

/ 405 Belarus circa 1986
I wouldn't start splitting the tractor just yet.
The shifters in tractor transmissions sometimes get out of position and can be realigned by simply removing the shift lever. I hope a Belarus owner will come on and tell you that is the problem and how to solve it.
I can put the transmission into 1st and reverse easily. I wish you were right.

/ 405 Belarus circa 1986 #8  
I am trying to get on that forum but the administrators are taking a long time (since Thursday) to approve my application.
Were you able to get on that forum? I am one of the admins on MTZ tractor talk, but I don't check it as often as I should... You can PM me as I have 3 Belarus tractors.