4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #21  
screw gun.jpg
Something like the above? would solve some of the issues mentioned.

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #22  
Checking with former horse worker, they had crew with pneumatic nailers. Used a coated nail in fence

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #23  
We are in process with similar... using Simpson screws and Makita cordless driver.

My vote was for carriage bolts but overridden...

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #24  
I bought the Paslode 325 framing nailer 4 years ago, worked flawless on Paslode nails, and a couple jambs with off brand nails. I built a garage with it and as of now gone through around 25,000 nails, very little maintenance. I've gone cordless 10 years ago and not looking back, be a cold day in hades before I'd buy/use pneumatic nailer, always tangled up in cords and air hoses, not for me. But with Paslode you have to buy the no marking pad extra and the galvanized nails are pricy.

If I was buying another nailer I might consider Dewalt 20v framing nailer, my son has that and that's working good. Cons are just a little heavier, plusses are no buying gas cylinders and the 20v battery will fit other Dewalt tools, which I do have.

Paslode Cordless CF325XP Lithium-Ion 3deg Framing Nailer-956 - The Home Depot

DEWALT 2-Volt MAX XR Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless 2-Speed 33-Degree Framing Nailer with Battery 4Ah, Charger and Case-DCN692M1 - The Home Depot

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #25  
Torx head and square heads with long screws give me nightmares . I go through so many drivers it is not cost effective. The only screws that worked for me as far as deck screws were #3 Phillips head. I would use a Milwaukee 1/2" drill on them and bury them with any of them slipping or breaking or chipping. The problem is I bought a 25 # bucket full one time and I am down to about 10 screws left and cannot get them anymore. I even tried Fasten-all but was a no go. Somebody must make them yet.

How long do you need?

RSKY

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #26  
50,000 nails is pretty scary. Not a job I would want to tackle alone.
I used to frame houses and used many different nail guns. I am a big paslode fan.
Just seems like a cordless nail gun over 50k nails is just not cost efficient, but I havent done the math.
Here is the paslode gun I have Paslode 515 F-35P PowerMaster Pro 3⁰ Framing Nailer - - Amazon.com
I have the harbor freight central pneumatic gas powered air compressor that works awesome. The recognized my AG exemption so I got it for like a flat $500. I use it in the fields to blow out tractor radiators. Works awesome.

With that said I got a new dewalt cordless set. We put in a new water trough with and started the fence around it. The drill and skill saw being cordless was like walking on a cloud. I have stretched air hoses and extension cords to the same area before. Nightmare. May not have been so bad if I had the gas compressor back then. I have always been a big dewalt fan also. Now I am a cordless dewalt fan. They make 20v cordless nail guns.

Here is the dewalt gun. DEWALT DCN692B 2V Max XR Brushless Dual Speed Nailer - - Amazon.com
I may have to get one now.

Here is the tool kit I got. DEWALT DCK62D2 2V MA Compact 6-Tool Combo Kit - - Amazon.com
When my corded tools break I am going all cordless.

Good Luck.

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode
I have the harbor freight central pneumatic gas powered air compressor that works awesome. The recognized my AG exemption so I got it for like a flat $500. I use it in the fields to blow out tractor radiators. Works awesome.

Good Luck.

Do you have the smaller 9gal version? I've looked at the HF compressors before, and have the 29gal electric shop version which has done a fine job for me thus far. I don't know how much air is typically required for these nailers to be running for fence construction or whether 9gal is enough or should I jump and get the 30gal version for X2 the money?

I also don't know which would be better for use OTHER THAN the fence... ie down the road. I could put the smaller version in a UTV whereas the larger would likely be too much, but I'm not sure.

I've thought about just going with the Paslode air powered guns if I go this route. They have a pretty good reputation from what I've heard. If I do go air powered, what is your recommendation for nailer in this instance?

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #28  
Check these screws out, stainless steel... will never rust, never back out, and heads won't strip. I use these for everything outdoors.

SPAX #7 x 1-5/8in. Flat Head Stainless Steel Screw with Double Lock Thread - They also come 2 1/2".

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #29  
Do you have the smaller 9gal version? I've looked at the HF compressors before, and have the 29gal electric shop version which has done a fine job for me thus far. I don't know how much air is typically required for these nailers to be running for fence construction or whether 9gal is enough or should I jump and get the 30gal version for X2 the money?

I also don't know which would be better for use OTHER THAN the fence... ie down the road. I could put the smaller version in a UTV whereas the larger would likely be too much, but I'm not sure.

I've thought about just going with the Paslode air powered guns if I go this route. They have a pretty good reputation from what I've heard. If I do go air powered, what is your recommendation for nailer in this instance?

I have the 9 gallon. I believe it can keep a couple of nail guns going. When Im using the blow gun to clean debris from the radiator I am constantly releasing / blowing air and it stays around a 100 psi for a long time and gradually falls. I read the reviews on HF site and I believe one guy said he runs X amount of nail guns daily on it. I do highly recommend starting it at least once a month (dam I need to start mine) to avoid all the fuel guming up issues. In the summer when I use it often it doesnt even take a full pull to start it. In the winter it takes bout 3 pulls. Also it DOES NOT come with compressor oil, but doesnt take much and is cheap in that small amount.

This Paslode is the one I have. Paslode Framing Gun. Paslode 515 F-35P 12 PSI PowerMaster Pro 3 Deg. Framing Nailer - - Amazon.com

I think you are right the other compressor would be big and bulky. This one is not bad. I can wheel it around fairly easy.

/ 4 miles 4 board horse fence. Rec: nail gun and fasteners requested Scrail vs Paslode #30  
Over the next several years, I will be putting in our fence. I have a Wrag post driver on its way for posts, but I'm now trying to choose fasteners and nail gun.

I'm interested in the Scrail type fasteners but have no experience with them. The thing I like is the ring/thread shank security, speed of insertion vs screw, and ability to back them out with a screw gun. Things I don't like is collation won't work in Paslode gun.

Nail gun I am interested in is the Paslode XP cordless gas powered nailer for ease and not having to have a portable air compressor and hose.

I have no experience with pneumatic type nailers in any form. So don't have the experience to answer my questions.

Fence is Treated Southern yellow pine with either treated 1" poplar and/or oak boards. I'm guessing up to 3000 posts with 4 boards on each post. 6 nails at each butt end post per board and 3 nails at non butt posts. So, roughly 50k nails overall.

1. Are Scrail fasteners useful
2. Are Scrail fasteners useful enough to require purchase of a portable air compressor and appropriate nail gun? Doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to drive these collated nails. Paslode requires 3 1/4" max. Scrail doesn't make this length.
3. Is the ease of a Paslode 'connectionless' system worth the extra cost of fuel etc?
4. Would a Paslode system be expected to hold up for this job? Would anything else?
5. Everything associated with this fence will require a new purchase, and while budget is not a nothing concern, my biggest concerns are:
#1 ease of doing the job. I'd rather pay for a good eas/easier system than fight it and save a $.
#2 final results. I want this to hold board up as well as feasibly possible. Within reason.
#3 I'm not ignoring screws, if they can be placed reasonably easily and final results are superior. But there needs to be a real reason why the 'perceived difficulty ' of screws would be ultimately worth it.

Regarding the Scrail fasteners, I was at Menards the other day and they had Scrail nails on the shelf! I never noticed them before so I opened the box and looked them over. They seem to be a pretty good fit for your application. Something that I've learned is that you don't need to have an exact match of fastener to your gun. I have several air guns, but I use a Stanley F33PT for most of my framing. Although listed for only 33 degree nails, I've found that Stanley actually rates this gun for nails between 28-34 degrees. Full or clipped head doesn't matter. It will even fire those short heavy hanger nails that didn't exist when I bought the gun. In the end, find the gun that you want and the nail that you want and just check the literature so see if they're compatible. There are some cordless tool options out there and they certainly have gotten better since I experienced them in the late 90's.