3rd function valve on Kubota

/ 3rd function valve on Kubota #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
I've had a few guys email and ask me what the other buttons were on my joystick so I figure the bast thing to do is post it in a separate thread and that way if anyone else wants to see it they can.

I'm getting my new tractor ready for the coming winter. It has a quick change system on the FEL and it came with the bucket. I've always plowed with a angle blade in the past and I know it's a much faster way of plowing snow.

to use my Artic blade on the tractor I had no way of angling it when it's on the tractor so I had a 3rd function vale installed. there are two extra hyd ports on the front of the FEL now so the blade hyd lines will connect.

I was in the process of building a quick change adapter for the FEL and realized I could purchase one cheaper than I could maker one so I have that on order now and it should be here in a week or two and I'll just adapt my blade to it them.

I also got my hydraulics completed for the blower. I just need to do a little tidying up on two lines. I like this set up. No cables or leavers. Hope this info helps.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 813
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 851
  • p3.JPG
    p3.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,745
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 1,422
   / 3rd function valve on Kubota
One more picture to add.

Attachments

• p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 5,210
   / 3rd function valve on Kubota #3  
My dealership didn't connect the on/off button. Said he's had issues with them in the pass so my actuating buttons are always on. I don't know why'd you'd want to turn them off and on anyway?

I also have the L4240 and 854 but we have no snow and my 3rd function will be for a grapple.

My dealership didn't connect the on/off button. Said he's had issues with them in the pass so my actuating buttons are always on. I don't know why'd you'd want to turn them off and on anyway?

I also have the L4240 and 854 but we have no snow and my 3rd function will be for a grapple.

I don't know why it's needed. It could be because it's a safety feature or there might be a duty cycle on the solenoid. Not sure but I believe that if it's supposed to be there, leave it there.

/ 3rd function valve on Kubota #5  
I don't know why it's needed. It could be because it's a safety feature or there might be a duty cycle on the solenoid. Not sure but I believe that if it's supposed to be there, leave it there.

Hi, I just bought a new M108X and I had the third function valve installed to use with my plow so it will angle, the togle swithch that turn the valve off is for the fourth function, which is usually used to open and close the quick connect on the bucket, the off switch is so the bucket lower pins are not opened by accident while using the joystick.

I do have a problem that you may be able to help me with, my third function valve which angles my plow or when not activated will allow me to tilt the plow foreward so I can back drag better, my problem is that this valve does not always work, sometimes it works well for a long time then suddenly instead of angling the plow it tilts either forward or back ward, it seems like the solenoid gets stuck in one position and does not move even when I am holding the button down on the joystick, I have checked all the wiring and have power at all locations, I removed the solenoid and placed a screwdriver in the hole and it is held by the magnetic force, yet for some reason it does not activate the hydraulic part of the valve, it seems the freeze, the temp was -20 C, but these valves should work way below that temperature, I don't like to take the valve apart since it is on warranty, but my dealer is 50 miles away, if someone can think of a simple fix I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim

Hi, I just bought a new M108X and I had the third function valve installed to use with my plow so it will angle, the togle swithch that turn the valve off is for the fourth function, which is usually used to open and close the quick connect on the bucket, the off switch is so the bucket lower pins are not opened by accident while using the joystick.

I do have a problem that you may be able to help me with, my third function valve which angles my plow or when not activated will allow me to tilt the plow foreward so I can back drag better, my problem is that this valve does not always work, sometimes it works well for a long time then suddenly instead of angling the plow it tilts either forward or back ward, it seems like the solenoid gets stuck in one position and does not move even when I am holding the button down on the joystick, I have checked all the wiring and have power at all locations, I removed the solenoid and placed a screwdriver in the hole and it is held by the magnetic force, yet for some reason it does not activate the hydraulic part of the valve, it seems the freeze, the temp was -20 C, but these valves should work way below that temperature, I don't like to take the valve apart since it is on warranty, but my dealer is 50 miles away, if someone can think of a simple fix I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim. Congrats on your new tractor and a fine tractor it is. If your set up is like mine with the main switch on the operators FEL control lever I would suspect a switch problem. I've heard these switches have been known to cause problems in the past.

When the 3rd function switch is either on or off on my tractor I can still use the "tilt" for my blade. The only thing the 3rd function system does for me is allow me to angle my plow. All other functions are the same along with that 3rd function valve set up. In the mean time if you suspect a solenoid you might try just tapping on the thing when it kicks out. I doubt cold weather got anything to do with the problem unless there's moisture in there somewhere. I removed all the outside wiring connections on mine and used die electric grease to keep any water out of the connections to prevent that from happening to mine.

/ 3rd function valve on Kubota #7  
Hi Jim. Congrats on your new tractor and a fine tractor it is. If your set up is like mine with the main switch on the operators FEL control lever I would suspect a switch problem. I've heard these switches have been known to cause problems in the past.

When the 3rd function switch is either on or off on my tractor I can still use the "tilt" for my blade. The only thing the 3rd function system does for me is allow me to angle my plow. All other functions are the same along with that 3rd function valve set up. In the mean time if you suspect a solenoid you might try just tapping on the thing when it kicks out. I doubt cold weather got anything to do with the problem unless there's moisture in there somewhere. I removed all the outside wiring connections on mine and used die electric grease to keep any water out of the connections to prevent that from happening to mine.

Hi, Thanks for your comment, I sure hope this is a good tractor, I had a Ford Versatile for 15 years and didn't have much trouble, I am retired now and figured it was time to get a new tractor.

I don't have the same type of joystick, mine has two buttons and a toggle switch just behind the part your hand would hold, one button, the higher one is for the angle, only works if depressed, the second button is for a fourth function, only works when depressed, usually to disconnect a bucket, the toggle switch only cuts power to the fourth button. My problem is with the third function, which I use to angle my plow, most of the time when pressing on this button and pushing the joystick right or left the plow will angle right or left, when the button is not pressed the plow would react as a bucket would using the left/right motion of the joystick, the problem is that sometimes the soleniod seems to get stuck in one position and no matter if you press the button or not you get the result the solenoid is stuck in, that is the plow may angle or tilt, I will take a drive to my dealer tomorrow, I believe it is a defective solenoid valve, that is sticking in one position or the other, I just hope it is something I can change easily, as for the switches I checked all the wireing and have power at all locatons, right to the soleniond when pressing the button and none if it is not pressed so I would imagine the switches and wireing is OK.

Jim

/ 3rd function valve on Kubota #8  
It seems you have a small piece of somthing that is getting stuck in the valve. If you unscrew the valve from the block you might be able to find the culprit. We use selonoid valves on concrete mixers. We have most of our problems with new trucks. I have found small pieces of wire like from a hyd. hose, metal shavings from cutting threads and even pieces of rubber. These valves work great and are pretty trouble free as long as the system is kept clean. If you ever change a hyd. hose make sure you flush out the hose before you install it.
Bill

/ 3rd function valve on Kubota #9  
It seems you have a small piece of somthing that is getting stuck in the valve. If you unscrew the valve from the block you might be able to find the culprit. We use selonoid valves on concrete mixers. We have most of our problems with new trucks. I have found small pieces of wire like from a hyd. hose, metal shavings from cutting threads and even pieces of rubber. These valves work great and are pretty trouble free as long as the system is kept clean. If you ever change a hyd. hose make sure you flush out the hose before you install it.
Bill

Do you mean simply removing the electro magnet and then unscrewing the shaft the magnet was on? Mine has a plastic nut holding the magnet in place then after the magnet is removed I see a nut about 3/4" near the valve body, I read somewhere that this torque should not be more than 30 ft lb. is this shaft spring loaded , in other words where can I find instructions on how to remove and clean this without causing more problems?

Thanks
Jim

/ 3rd function valve on Kubota #10  
Jim, take the plastic nut off, remove the magnet, take a wrench and unscrew the valve. When you get the valve out look for anything sticking in the ports of the valve. Also make sure all tho o rings are intact. Sometimes you find the problem and other times you don't find anything and put it back together and everything works fine. The valve itself can be taken apart further, but since it is under warranty I wouldn't.
Bill