3rd function use in 2 places

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #11  
I operate my grapple with a rear remote located on the fender near the joystick. I never "feather" the remote. It's full on until the lids stop crushing whatever is in them. The lids don't move all that fast. Maybe because I have a dual lid grapple with two cylinders.

Eventually I will make a 3rd function for it.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #12  
he problem, at least for me, is the third function has no practical way to moderate the speed and force of the hydraulics
Interesting. Mine is an after market that I had my deal install. I have a little momentary button switch I can twitch the open or close in tiny increments.
But to be fair it is the rare thing when I want to be delicate.
What sorts of things would you likely be picking up that you want to attenuate the grip force?

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #13  
Interesting. Mine is an after market that I had my deal install. I have a little momentary button switch I can twitch the open or close in tiny increments.
But to be fair it is the rare thing when I want to be delicate.
What sorts of things would you likely be picking up that you want to attenuate the grip force?
A dead deer?

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #14  
A dead deer?

We use a bale spear or pallet forks. Put a short rope around the ankles, hook the rope over a fork or spear, and hoist the deer up to skin it and bone it out. It isn't deer hunting around here unless you are butchering a deer hanging from a tractor loader an hour after dark by tractor headlights.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #15  
We use a bale spear or pallet forks. Put a short rope around the ankles, hook the rope over a fork or spear, and hoist the deer up to skin it and bone it out. It isn't deer hunting around here unless you are butchering a deer hanging from a tractor loader an hour after dark by tractor headlights.
Yeah, you can hang one from a grapple too. I was referring to the one along the road that someone hit or the one you find in your field near the house that someone shot poorly and didn't track. I just had that happen two days in a row.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #16  
As others have mentioned....yes it will work, but it won't work right if BOTH are connected

Assuming you would use couplers or quick disconnects.....if only ONE is hooked up at a time...toe one that isn't hooked up is, the couplers will block that flow path as if the tee weren't there.

But I have no reason to ever remove the hydraulic toplink on the tractor. With no implement it just hands there from the hook.

If that's your situation....with a tee...that toplink cylinder is gonna fully stoke each direction til out of travel before you get force to move the grapple.

A pair of 3-way ball valves is basically the same thing as a manual selector valve. Just one lever to move instead of two.

But the cost and added fittings....is probably more than the difference in cost between a single spool and a two spool valve. Just put a 2-spool third function valve in. And if a manual valve, make sure it is PB capable with the PB plug.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #17  
I’ve had both remote and button 3rd function. Not that big of difference. Some remote handles are not ergonomically placed for grapple use on some models.

Spend the money and make grapple and rear remote(s) work independently.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #18  
My grapple set up is home made using my pallet forks as the base. I use the grapple to help hold loads, some which are a bit fragile, like when I move assembled cabinets from the wood shop to a trailer for transport.

If I were using a commercial grapple I can see where it would be less of an issue but even when I'm grabbing logs to move into the dump trailer I like having the ability to slowly open the grapple so the log slides into the trailer instead of just dropping.

Here is a picture of version 1.0. prior to paint. It looks a bit different today as I found a couple of weak spots in my original effort that I had to remedy. I found anything with hydraulics tends to locate the weak spot pretty quickly.:unsure:

Tractor Pics 008.jpg

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #19  
Will doing that require two three way ball valves, one for each side of the hydraulics. Want to this on my tractor so I can operate the tilt and trim on my box blade from my rear remote.
only one. The circuit that is "off" per the 3 way ball valve will have a "dead end" for which ever line the 3 way ball valve is in.

/ 3rd function use in 2 places #20  
I wouldn't be satisfied with any setup that required me to move my hand to a different lever for any of the three functions.

A grapple becomes such a valued attachment that you'll use it a LOT. I built mine on a Lo Pro Bobcat bucket. My original Kubota bucket sits outside in the equipment row. I use it once a year max.

So, expect to use this attachment very frequently. Plumb it for maximum ease of use.