3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #21  
Other than the stability issue, pulling & lifting logs with the 3pt shouldn't damage the tractor as long as the direction of pull is fairly straight. Pulling at a severe angle while trying to get around a tree or boulder could break a side link however.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #22  
I have a Cat I MFWD 45 horsepower tractor. I was asked to help skid heavy logs up muddy, fairly steep hills. A real struggle as the tires mud up quickly and it is a slippery mess and traction is lost often.
Anyways I put a steel cross bar that fits in the two lower units of the 3 point hitch. The arms on those are about 5/8 thick steel. Logs are chained to the cross bar to lift and then I pull the logs. Concerned that may cause too much strain on the 3 point hitch system as it was designed more for bush hog mowers etc, not heavy lifting and pulling.
I do have a bar I slide into
a low receiver type opening that appears would be more substantial to pull on and with except that has no lifting capability so the entire log for the most part would have to dragged in the mud as opposed to just the end if it could be lifted in part above the mud.
I thought I read recently somewhere on this TractorbyNet site about not using the 3 point for such work. If one remembers they could direct me to is by name and date. Otherwise ideas would be welcome. May have to wait until it freezes or is drier next year. Also my brother has offered his skid steer but unsure that will work with skid steer tires under the conditions above. Thoughts and ideas are welcome. May have to rent a bigger or different type of equipment?
Without adding the expense of a winch system, use the top hook on a quick attach such as the iMatch Deere unit. With a log chained to that hook (or logging tongs used), you will get all the weight on the traction wheels (and be cautious that the front end stays low by adding weight on the FEL). There are still limits to what size logs can be pulled, but chaining up the rears helps a lot in snow or mud conditions.

Can easily control the lift on the front end by raising or lowering the 3pt hitch. Not dangerous as some want others to think. Keep the ground speed down to a crawl.

Attachments

• 4300Logging.jpg
    4300Logging.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 125
   / 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #23  
I have a Cat I MFWD 45 horsepower tractor. I was asked to help skid heavy logs up muddy, fairly steep hills. A real struggle as the tires mud up quickly and it is a slippery mess and traction is lost often.
Anyways I put a steel cross bar that fits in the two lower units of the 3 point hitch. The arms on those are about 5/8 thick steel. Logs are chained to the cross bar to lift and then I pull the logs. Concerned that may cause too much strain on the 3 point hitch system as it was designed more for bush hog mowers etc, not heavy lifting and pulling.
I do have a bar I slide into
a low receiver type opening that appears would be more substantial to pull on and with except that has no lifting capability so the entire log for the most part would have to dragged in the mud as opposed to just the end if it could be lifted in part above the mud.
I thought I read recently somewhere on this TractorbyNet site about not using the 3 point for such work. If one remembers they could direct me to is by name and date. Otherwise ideas would be welcome. May have to wait until it freezes or is drier next year. Also my brother has offered his skid steer but unsure that will work with skid steer tires under the conditions above. Thoughts and ideas are welcome. May have to rent a bigger or different type of equipment?
Compact or Utility?
R1 or R4 tires?

3pt is intended for heavy pulling and lifting, first three point implement was a moldboard plow. You'll run out of traction or power before you overload the hitch.

I use 3pt cross bar on a cat one utility tractor to skid logs, put a clevis on the bar in the middle hole so the chains don't slide to the ends and the bar doesn't twist.

I am using 2wd with R1s and no issue yarding logs, on heavy pulls the front end lifts, puts all the weight on the drive wheels so I steer with the brakes.

I personally wait until dry & frozen, keeps the logs cleaner!

IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4133.jpg

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns
Actually I am having reasonable success pulling 20 inch to 30 inch diameter walnut logs up the hill. Using only the rear wheels now as the manual front wheel assist went out for some reason. I have a Mahindra 4510 cab tractor. 45 horsepower, Cat 1. Good tires or front, maybe 50 to 60 60% tires on the rear that fill up with mud. These are ag/farm tires.
Going down hill unloaded requires now using the front end loader to arrest the speed without the aid of the MFWD. I could also pull some better if that was also helping.
Can't really wait for better conditions. the Amish are here with their horses cutting and pulling as far as they can. What I can't do they will have to use a double tree and 4 horses to skid the logs up the hill or me out of stuck places.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #26  
It amazes me, that even with PREVENTABLE deaths occuring every year due to tractor tip overs (backwards) common use still rationalizes "it's safe enough, if your careful" to pull logs off the 3point hitch. the failing of the three point is that as the tractor rears when caught up, the point and direction of pull only makes matters WORSE.

PULL FROM THE DRAW BAR! I don't care how the load is lifted.

But hey, It's your choice.

Just a note, A few years back, the old guy not three miles from my place went over backwards. Caught between the tractor and a wagon. Hooked to the Fu!!n 3pt hitch when it should have been pinned to the draw bar. The fellow was trapped for hours before anyone found him, who knows when he died. The farm is there, the Ford tractor sits outside the barn. The old guy isn't there though.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #27  
A 16 HP Kubota B7100 pulling a log with the three point.

Attachments

• 97B12584-E09B-41ED-9369-8B6857EB758A.jpeg
    97B12584-E09B-41ED-9369-8B6857EB758A.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 116
  • AF22E8EF-0E00-4B8B-83EB-A93AAC9E2C1E.jpeg
    AF22E8EF-0E00-4B8B-83EB-A93AAC9E2C1E.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 126
   / 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #28  
Would I ever pull from the three point?
4A.jpg

7A.jpg

possibly;