3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #11  
Lifting AND pulling with the 3ph really don't pose a danger to the 3ph. The 3ph is made to handle whatever the tractor can pull. Think of plows in the ground, or rippers, or a rear blade

However the concern is a backflip. Mad worse by pulling up a hill. You need a significant amount of front weight. Like a loader. But still risky going up a steep hill
Yes, the three point will be designed to handle the tractors pulling power.

Using the three point to lift and pull will give a lot more traction. Adding weight to the bucket will help keep it down and helps the front wheel traction and steering ability. As stated it could result in a backflip if the operator isn’t aware of what could happen and keep the situation from happening.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns
Just ordered the "pincher" system. No price increase since 2015 but it is coming. Should help out but still the muddy, slick issues. Thanks for the comments.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #13  
I DIY'd a device that works quite well.

I obtained a highway guard rail curved end piece and welded a low attachment point for pulling and made provisions to firmly hold the end of my log onto it.

It is like having an oversized ski tip under that log end.

Face it, most logging snags are caused by the pulled end digging in or snagging onto something like a rock or root.

I also only pull with the tow point meant to do this (not my 3 point)

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #14  
I have a Cat I MFWD 45 horsepower tractor. I was asked to help skid heavy logs up muddy, fairly steep hills. A real struggle as the tires mud up quickly and it is a slippery mess and traction is lost often.
Anyways I put a steel cross bar that fits in the two lower units of the 3 point hitch. The arms on those are about 5/8 thick steel. Logs are chained to the cross bar to lift and then I pull the logs. Concerned that may cause too much strain on the 3 point hitch system as it was designed more for bush hog mowers etc, not heavy lifting and pulling.
I do have a bar I slide into
a low receiver type opening that appears would be more substantial to pull on and with except that has no lifting capability so the entire log for the most part would have to dragged in the mud as opposed to just the end if it could be lifted in part above the mud.
I thought I read recently somewhere on this TractorbyNet site about not using the 3 point for such work. If one remembers they could direct me to is by name and date. Otherwise ideas would be welcome. May have to wait until it freezes or is drier next year. Also my brother has offered his skid steer but unsure that will work with skid steer tires under the conditions above. Thoughts and ideas are welcome. May have to rent a bigger or different type of equipment?
I have a Cat I MFWD 45 horsepower tractor. I was asked to help skid heavy logs up muddy, fairly steep hills. A real struggle as the tires mud up quickly and it is a slippery mess and traction is lost often.
Anyways I put a steel cross bar that fits in the two lower units of the 3 point hitch. The arms on those are about 5/8 thick steel. Logs are chained to the cross bar to lift and then I pull the logs. Concerned that may cause too much strain on the 3 point hitch system as it was designed more for bush hog mowers etc, not heavy lifting and pulling.
a low receiver type opening that appears would be more substantial to pull on and with except that has no lifting capability so the entire log for the most part would have to dragged in the mud as opposed to just the end if it could be lifted in part above the mud.
I thought I read recently somewhere on this TractorbyNet site about not using the 3 point for such work. If one remembers they could direct me to is by name and date. Otherwise ideas would be welcome. May have to wait until it freezes or is drier next year. Also my brother has offered his skid steer but unsure that will work with skid steer tires under the conditions above. Thoughts and ideas are welcome. May have to rent a bigger or different type of equipment?
I have skidded logs for many years with the 3 pt, but I am using a 35 HP 5,500 lb 1960's farm tractor. As all noted, you need weight on the front to keep it down. You had better get a good set of rear tire chains to deal with the mud. I use double rings on my tractor - they seem to be best in the snow and seem to self clean somewhat in the mud. In your case tractor weight is probably more important than HP. Regardless, skidding logs up any kind of incline is difficult and can be dangerous. Be careful and good luck

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #15  
Red is cable and blue is snatch block. Put your tractor on solid ground and run cable allowing snatch blocks to guide the direction you want the log to travel.

Attachments

• 467C58F1-C5D1-4614-B897-6A29F09031D7.jpeg
    467C58F1-C5D1-4614-B897-6A29F09031D7.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 4A1F7368-3F7F-4B7E-835E-4FB7C9DE57CA.jpeg
    4A1F7368-3F7F-4B7E-835E-4FB7C9DE57CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
   / 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #16  
Take a look here

The lifting and the pulling are two different systems.
That is a nice attachment. First time I have seen one.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #17  
Maybe it's because my ancient Ponderosa pines are so large. I've used a log arch attached to the draw bar. No mud nor steep slopes here. Worked well.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #18  
A 3pt will drag a plow through the earth until the tractor stalls or loses traction. I don’t think skidding logs will surpass that, will it? Based on the conditions you describe... loss of traction will happen well before damage.

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #19  
A 3pt will drag a plow through the earth until the tractor stalls or loses traction. I don’t think skidding logs will surpass that, will it? Based on the conditions you describe... loss of traction will happen well before damage.
Agree. 3PH is made for pulling. Just have to be mindful of the real possibility of a backflip

/ 3 point hitch lifting/pulling concerns #20  
Use a cross drawbar. Put a clevis on it so that you’re always pulling on the drawbar with its holes facing up, and not trying to bend it along its thin dimension.

Lifting end of log keeps log cleaner, drags easier, prevents log hanging up on something, and gives tractor more traction (weight).

Be very very careful if 3pth is raised above rear axle. This will enable front end to pop up dangerously way more than you want if logs stop sliding and you still have traction.
By pulling from a point that’s below rear axle, front end is more likely to be limited in how high it will go.
Weight is your friend.