2538 will not shift out of high range

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #11  
Ihave a 2017 2538 with 145 hrs , mine seems to have gotten much easier to shift ranges although i have never put it in high. would also like to see a pic if possible . love the tractor.

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range
I don't think I can get a camera in there. It is all black too.

Look at the sub range shifter. There is a rod connected to it with a washer and an a cotter pin on the bottom. Follow that rod. It connects to a small lever on the side of the transmission, also with a pin and washer. When you move the sub range shifter, it actuates the other lever (bellcrank) to shift the ranges. There is a 12mm bolt next the the bellcrank. I backed it off 1.5 turns, and it relieves the tension. Then the lever would move. I hooked the rod back up, and was back in business! Greased it up good, now moves through the gears very smoothly.

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #13  
Guessing the rod you're talking about is part number 5 in this diagram and the bolt you backed off is part number 20 and the part you jiggled is part number 2?

Shift Linkage 2538.jpg

Exactly! Thanks, I tried to find that diagram but couldn't.

To gain access to the bolt, I had to remove the pedal linkage and push it out of the way. The bolt is hidden behind it.

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #15  
Guessing the rod you're talking about is part number 5 in this diagram and the bolt you backed off is part number 20 and the part you jiggled is part number 2?

View attachment 606011

Thanks for the graphic! Huge help for me.

Now, what's the best way to get at that area with a cabbed tractor? From Below?

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #16  
I loosened the 12mm bolt and lever is still stuck. What am I missing?

Are you trying to move the shifter with the tractor off? Make sure the tractor is running and not in a bind...

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #18  
Are you trying to move the shifter with the tractor off? Make sure the tractor is running and not in a bind...
Either way it won't move out of high gear.

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #19  
I don't know if this is still happening to you, it's happened to me quite frequently lately.

Here's the only trick I know that works every time. Go park the tractor, have some food and let it cool off. Then 30 minutes or so go back out and wiggle it around a bit.

I noticed it happens when I use High gear after hard work for a few hours and I am returning to my house driving down the highway. I'm wondering if something to do with the heat in the transfer box or whatever a tractor has is the issue. Letting it sit has fixed the issue 3 times now. Just an three hours ago for the latest one.

I wish I had an answer... I rarely use high gear anymore, moved to a very hilly place so it stays in low range most of the time.