2538 will not shift out of high range

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #1  

bglz42

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 5083E
90 hours on machine, has always been a little stiff shifting sub ranges. Pushing on the pedals usually helped. Got harder yesterday, and finally got stuck in high. I mean stuck! I tried everything, disconnected the linkage and lubed it all. Still completely stuck. Anyone seen this?

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #2  
For the first hundred hours or so my Kubota M6040 could be a bear going from HI range to LOW range. Come to a complete stop - put it in reverse - let out the clutch - then it would go. It's still stiff but has always worked when I come to a complete stop - as the Op Manual tells me to do.

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range
Tried every combination, idle or throttled up/engine off/pedal pressure etc. The lever is not frozen, I disconnected the linkage at the lever and it moves freely.

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #4  
Whatever you do don't force the lever or you can make the shift forks get jammed in the transmission. If you've forced it then you're already screwed and will need to pull the cover on the transmission to get them back where they belong. Hopefully this isn't the case.

You need to release the pressure on the gears in the transmission and it will slide very easily out of gear. To do this get it on somewhat level ground and while holding slight pressure on the shift lever you press lightly on the forward or reverse HST pedal and let off and it should pop out of gear. Sometimes you have to try a few times to get it just right but it has always worked for me and it's pretty much the only way to do it.

Thanks! I am probably screwed then! I have owned this tractor for two years, and it has always shifted pretty good but stiff. This happened yesterday after I had driven the tractor in high a couple of miles down the road to mow the pasture at my church. When I got there, I could not shift out of high. I must admit I put some pressure on the lever, as it had always been a little stiff. Feathered the pedals like always, but no joy. Stuck like chuck!

Last edited:
How tough to remove cover and DIY? I hate to take my tractor to the dealer!

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #7  
bglz42...don't get totally discouraged yet. I've got over 800 hours on mine, and I still have a b***** of a time getting it to shift. I agree with TractorNH on his procedure, and it usually takes me 3-5 tries to get mine to disengage whatever range I'm in.

Also, check to make sure your bolt that goes thru your lever into the linkage is nice and snug. Mine works loose, and it makes shifting that much more difficult. Keep trying to release the tranny pressure. Even if it takes 10 minutes, it's better than ripping the rear end off. The fact that we have HST compounds the problem I believe too...no clutch.

For whatever reason, mine is easier to shift if not in 4WD, and at idle speed.

Thanks guys! I fixed it. Talked to the mechanic and he told me what to do. I backed off on the bolt right next to the bellcrank on the block and the bellcrank broke free. Tightened the bolt back up, adjusted the shifter a little, lubed it and it is working like a champ!

/ 2538 will not shift out of high range #9  
I backed off on the bolt right next to the bellcrank on the block and the bellcrank broke free.
Forgive me...I'm old. What the heck is a bell-crank? Got a pic to share? Thanx.

The little gizfidget that the shift linkage doobie attaches to on the side of the transmission, LOL!