2305 no hydraulics

/ 2305 no hydraulics #1  

rjgogo

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD2305
The hydraulics on my 2305 went out and there is a very loud whine in the pump. So far, I have changed the oil and filter in the transaxle, cleaned the mesh filter with the magnets and put it all back together and same problem. After I changed the oil and ran it again to check to see if it was fixed and nothing. The oil in the sight glass was really aerated after running.

I also took the pump off and had a look inside and there does not appear to be any thing in there that would render it non functional but I am no expert. Some very very small scratches on the inside but that is about it.

The whine is very loud and I did run it briefly with the pump off and that confirmed the noise is coming from the pump. I can't seem to find what could be causing this. Any ideas on what I should check next? The tech manual has not been much help but maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks in advance.

/ 2305 no hydraulics #2  
I’m sure someone with great advice will chime in soon, but thought I would ask- did you put the correct fluid in? I add a quart of wrong type on my 2305 and it whined like crazy. Changed it all out and put the JD correct fluid. No more whine and never has since. I’m guessing this isn’t the case... please let us all know what you eventually find. Good luck. Bill

/ 2305 no hydraulics
Thanks, yeah, same stuff that has been in there the last 400 hours. Well I changed it with the same stuff.

/ 2305 no hydraulics #4  
What about the rubber hose that connects to the cap for the hydraulic filter screen. Is there any chance it could be collapsing causing the pump to cavitation ? Might look underneath while whining and ensure still round in shape. Again- hopefully someone will respond soon with a reason for it. Hopefully something simple.

/ 2305 no hydraulics
Thanks, The hose looks good but I will have a look under power. The inner screen was just cleaned. So I can rule that out.

/ 2305 no hydraulics #6  
It’s been 35 years since I really worked on hydraulics ( military mechenic). But what I remember causing hyd whine -either restriction,bad pump pressure, one way flow control valve bad or cavitation caused by moisture or air in the line. I’m a back yard mech. At best. Just some ideas. If the sight glass is showing clear fluid, that’s at least one to rule out. Are you sure the knob for flow control below seat is set correctly?
Be a pain, but I think the next step would be to find out how an where to hook up a pressure gage to see if the pump is good. My 2cents. Again, hope someone with better knowledge of the system jumps on an helps soon.
Bill

/ 2305 no hydraulics #7  
Are you sure you put the screen back in with the open end to the outside (hose) and the capped end to the inside?

/ 2305 no hydraulics
Are you sure you put the screen back in with the open end to the outside (hose) and the capped end to the inside?

Mine in an older one and the screen tube is open on both ends. But it is cleaned and installed correctly. It was working fine until I raised the bucket all the way and held it there for a while. That is when the trouble started.

/ 2305 no hydraulics #9  
rjgogo
Can you give us some hyd. pressure numbers?

working fine until I raised the bucket all the way....
Disconnect the FEL hoses and re-connect them. Maybe one is not quite engaged..

/ 2305 no hydraulics
rjgogo
Can you give us some hyd. pressure numbers?

Disconnect the FEL hoses and re-connect them. Maybe one is not quite engaged..

Thanks, I don't have a gauge and I have unconnected the hoses and reconnected them as the first thing I tried. No difference.