2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield?

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So along with figuring out what and when to buy a tractor, the missus has me doing research on UTVs as well. She has adjusted her requirements, so I have been going back over all of the manufacturers to see whether they have units that meet her demands and how much prices have changed, etc.

I came across what I consider an oddity and I was hoping that someone here could either confirm what I think I see or fill in some information about what I don't know about the UTV world (admittedly, I don't know much).

The 2022 Pioneer 520 and 700 models have options for various windshields. I think we want glass due to scratching on the poly/plastic ones over time. For some reason, there are no options for ANY windshields on the 1000 series. I tried all of the trim levels. I thought maybe one was standard, but I see nothing to that effect and none of the images show one (though I understand images on websites are often altered for various reasons). The 2021 models have the same options available as the smaller engine versions. Is this just an error on Honda's website?

Also, any overall advice about buying a side by side for work on the property would be great. It doesn't need to be super fast, maybe 40 mph or so? We have about 2000' of county road frontage, everything else is easements and forest trails. Brand is not important. Value is more important than cost, per se. For options, our must-have list is currently a box w/assisted dump, winch (3500-4500), hard top, windshield and doors (this is wife's new added requirement...wants half-height at least). Would like to seat 3, but may have to settle for 2 seater due to price increases. 99% of the time it will just be the two of us. Extra seating is mostly for big dog(s). Kids are grown and not super excited about the country. (the only reason we would even go with the 1000 models are because of the higher doors)

Thanks in advance!

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #2  
So here is what little I know.

Those who own the 500 series like the size to get in small places, including the back of a pickup truck.
I think the new ones now have a dump cart which is great to have. Maybe best for hunting.

Owners of 1000 series like turf mode where 1 rear wheel disengages to keep it from tearing up the grass.
Many hate the heat from the engine to the seat. Not sure if Honda has addressed it or not. Maybe great if you live in the cold most of the time. They are wider. If you want to go on trails, these may not fit unless a lot of riders have the bigger UTVs. There are plenty of aftermarket windshields to choose from.

Depending on location, some hate windshields. If you ride around on dirt, windshields typically swirl the air back into the cabin area where you are. No windshield allows air to flow thru. If you go full windshield, get full side doors and a soft back cover.

A hard top is nice especially if you want to add electronics. There aren't many places to put radios, backup camera monitors, etc. Soft tops are tough and cheap. Not a big deal but you need to remove them if you trailer yours on the highway.

I picked a 700-4 back in '19.
It goes 45 mph.
I like having a parking brake, (check other models if you live a hill and it is important to you)
I use the dump cart, even though it is manual, the center of gravity makes it work fine.

If you are trying to make this really comfortable like a car, heat, a/c and dust free, you might be better to consider a used Jeep or similar. Trying to turn one of these into an SUV is costly but its all up to the individual.

I put a flip/half windshield to accommodate for the weather. I have no issues with poly windshields over the years with bikes and UTVs so long as you are gentle when cleaning. (don't scrub the bug skeleton into the plastic).

Honda is a honda. They lack a bit in flair but are rock solid. Not knocking other brands, they all have good and bad points. If you are seriously considering a Honda, go to Hondasxs.com Lots of knowledge and history there.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
   / 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #3  
Let me start out by saying I've had a Ranger, a Pioneer 1000, and now own a Mule Pro-FXT.

If you want full doors go with Ranger, Can-Am defender, or Kubota or Deere. They have the best cab systems out there. Both the mule and the pioneer come with half doors.

The Pioneer 1000 has crazy power and can go like 65 mph. The seat gets really hot with the Pioneer. It's also hard to just put around real slow at a steady speed if you're doing things like spraying.

The mule Pro-FXT tops out around 44 mph. Very smooth transmission. The FXT version has a nice foldable rear bench seat so that you can seat six and still have some bed space or fold it out of the way and seat 3 and have big bed. The mule is very heavy built and I'm super happy with it.

You can get a variety of windshields for either the mule or pioneer but not as many options compared to Polaris or Can-Am. If you can afford it get glass tip out. It's nice to let the air in when it's hot.

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #4  
I have experience with the Defenders cab and its windshield is glass and liked it. Had a poly windshield X years ago on another machine and won't get another....

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #5  
DEEA2870-3731-45DC-ACC3-7B4CCFFD25E1.jpeg

I don’t know about the availability of the windshield for the Pioneer 1000 but, for amusement purposes, this picture illustrates the size difference between the 520 and 1000. The 1000 is huge, lol

I have the 520. I really like it. It’s more of a help on the property than I anticipated and having the dump bed is great! I wanted the 520’s small size for trail access and to fit in the bed of my truck for transportation.

Mike

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #6  
Bought my first side-by-side in 2004 (Rhino, one of the first in the state) and had SxS's ever since. Don't even worry about what accessories the factory offers on the big-name machines, the aftermarket has 10x more out, and often a nicer accessory for less money. I had a Pioneer 500 and it is a great machine if you want a SMALL SxS that fits about anywhere. Not the best at hauling firewood or a pallet of feed due to the size but that little bugger will squeeze in places the other SxS's can only dream of. I have used and worked on Pioneer 1000's and they are solid machines. They will take a ton of abuse and run for darn near ever. HondaSxS.com is a great website if you want to read about the Honda machines. I personally have a Talon (Sport machine) and a Mule Pro FXT (Utility) currently. Two different worlds, one hauls butt, one hauls wood. Machines like the Pioneer fit in the middle, not the best at hauling but will do a good job, but still good on a trail ride but won't keep with the pure sport machines in the REALLY rough stuff.

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #7  
Do you ride flat ground only, or maybe some off-camber mountain roads? The narrow side by sides are VERY easy to roll over...check out this video from Matt's Off-Road Recovery, at about 5:22 minutes in.

One of the reasons I chose my Can-am (with full cab) is that it is a full 65" wide outside of tire to outside of tire. It is much more stable than any of those narrow track machines; I ride mountain roads a lot and they are often off-camber or have a deep washout that can tip over a vehicle. Very true - it won't fit on narrow trails - but if I have a choice of a rig that fits on a trail or one that won't easily roll over I will choose the latter every time.

Another reason I love the Can-am cab is the fully enclosed cab with roll-up windows that WILL NOT allow dust inside if the windows are kept closed. And if I want air in my face, the windshield is hinged and on struts - I can keep it fully closed, crack it open about 6" for some air, or open it fully for that open-air experience.

View with the windshield cracked open:
P1015402ertbn6-11-22.jpg

And with the windshield fully open...yes, the owner's manual states you can run it this way.
P1012086r.jpg

Only a glass windshield for me...brush/tree limbs slapping a plastic windshield soon puts enough scratches in it to make it useless to see out of.

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield?
Thanks for the replies, so far.

@deserteagle71 I lived in Southern Nevada for about 7 years. Been to the northern part a few times, too. No mountains in East Texas. The narrow track does worry me. This will be 90-95% a working vehicle. Property is a pine plantation, mostly flat. There are some tricky spots. Trees are well spaced, so wider shouldn't be a problem.

@Rdrcr that picture really helps. I don't have any narrow trails and I have a chainsaw...in the rare circumstance it needs to leave the property, it can fit on a utility trailer. We need one of those anyway. Smaller is purely a price consideration. I'd probably be fine with 520, if they made a 3 seat one. No need to go fast.

@Root Cause the doors are just to make my wife feel less like she is falling out. Don't really want a cab. The roof is to reduce risk of falling limbs, but more to protect my bald head from the Texas sun.

@mx1alex. Mule Pro is definitely on the list. 44 mph should be plenty fast for our use.

@Code54. Great advice about after market. I didn't know if that was a rational thing in UTV world. Size wise, I like the 700...4" narrower than the 1000, but 10" wider than 520.

I am second-guessing the windshield at this point. May be better to skip it and if we change our minds, add it later. I had about 13 makes in my spreadsheet. Still have some updates to do. Appreciate y'all.

/ 2022 Honda Pioneer 1000 windshield? #9  
The 700 is nice size-wise, with a bit more room than the 500. Adding a windshield really is nice - the thing to remember is if you add a front one, on a dusty trail it will pull the dust in from the rear. All the guys I ride with run front and rear windshields or a front that opens so they can have the air go through if it is dusty. Glass is nice, but more expensive, and can break with a rock thrown from another machine. If you go "plastic", get HARDCOAT - this is the key. They cost more than non-hard coated but hold up WAY better. The other nice thing is they really don't break, scratching is possible still, but are the safest for deflecting projectiles. I run a homemade hard-coated lexan protective screen on my mini ex with my hydro mower and it has taken a few rocks that hit it and sounded like a gunshot - maybe a little tiny nick, but no other damage