Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I'm looking at small UTVs to be used for working in the woods - especially when things are a bit too soft/wet to get out there with my tractor. I'll bring chainsaws and associated gear in the bed or in a small trailer. Occasionally might tow a 750# log splitter. I'd like engine braking - which I find convenient on our hills. I might eventually set it up for light snow plowing. I'm not looking for bigger - when I have a bigger job to do, I'll use my tractor, and the ability to tow it on a 5ft wide trailer is a plus. This is for working in the woods, not high speed joy riding or recreational off-roading. I don't need to go 50+ MPH. (30 MPH max would be fine, and it will spend most of it's life going 5-15 MPH.) Reliability is a major selling point!

Looking for thoughts on pros and cons between the Kawasaki Mule SX and a Honda Pioneer 520. What do those of you who are using theirs in the woods consider "must have" options, accessories, or modifications.

So far, one downside of the Mule SX is that thy say you can have a plow if there is a winch installed. I have not been able to determine if this is the case on the Pioneer 520.

I'd consider similarly sized models from other manufacturers. I like the higher ground clearance and good towing capacity of the Polaris Ranger SP 570 (the smaller, 2-person one), but the lack of engine braking is a bit of a negative for me. (I am wondering just how much of a downside that really is, however.)

Last edited:
   / Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #2  
I don’t have any personal experience with the Mule SX but, I’ve heard they are very well built and reliable machines.

I have a Pioneer 520. It’s fantastic. I bought it for recreation purposes but, I use it way more on my property than I anticipated. It’s a great machine, I highly recommend it.

It fits through all the tight spaces in my heavily forested and hilly property. Stock ground clearance is good and if you wish more, larger tires and/or wheels are readily available. The traction is really good but the turning radius isn’t great though. The transmission shifts hard and aggressively but begins to smooth out after the first service. The ride can be a little rough with the small tires and factory shocks. However, if not not traveling quickly, you’ll hardly notice. The gearing is real low so the transmission is always busy at low speeds and the top speed is low too but, that doesn’t seem like it’ll matter to you. The low gearing and 4WD will definitely help with the snow plow attachment (I plan on getting one sometime in the future…it’ll sure beat the tractor in ability and comfort).

Since the 520 already has the tilt bed, I’d just recommend a roof (maybe a windshield) depending on you climate. However, regarding customization, the sky is the limit. Here’s mine in its current state;

B27525C0-DD50-44A0-B349-EB1519A3B42D.jpeg

Right now, I’m just waiting for my new shock absorbers.

Good luck with your search and decision. If I can offer any additional insight, I’ll definitely chime in.

Mike

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #3  
I'd consider similarly sized models from other manufacturers. I like the higher ground clearance and good towing capacity of the Polaris Ranger SP 570 (the smaller, 2-person one), but the lack of engine braking is a bit of a negative for me. (I am wondering just how much of a downside that really is, however.)

Importance of engine braking will be determined by how hilly your property is. If you have a lot of steep grades it is VERY important.

We have two Polaris side by sides in our Search and Rescue unit. Having a Can-am and Yamaha myself, both of which have strong engine braking and true 4wd, the Polaris units were a startling revelation. Free wheeling down a steep mountainside will get your attention for sure. Yes, you can get some engine braking by "blipping" the throttle which causes the clutch to catch - but how intuitive is that, giving it throttle to slow down? The other problem is not having 4wd when you need it. Going down a steep hill most of your stopping power is from the front tires - very little weight on the back. The way the Polaris 4wd system works, once the 4wd button on the dash is pushed that allows the computer to engage the front driveshaft...IF it senses that the rear tires are turning faster than the front ones then it will engage the front driveshaft to give you 4wd. If not, despite the 4wd button being activated, you are still in 2wd. With our SAR Polaris units, going down a steep loose hill they will slide sideways because when engine braking does occur it is applied to only the rear tires, not the front (because the rear tires are turning slower than the front ones so the computer won't engage the front driveshaft).

I much prefer driving something that has excellent engine braking AND 4wd when I push the 4wd button, not when a computer decides I need it.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #5  
Either one is a good machine. It may come down to which one you can get your hands on. A few months ago I was looking at the same ones. Called around and nobody had either and were saying spring 2023 would be the soonest I could get one. We found a used Pioneer 500 and bought it for about half what a new one would be. One big difference between them is the Honda uses a geared transmission, the Kawi uses CVT. I don't know how low the gearing is on the Mule, but the Honda in low gear could climb a wall if if you could get traction. The down side is the shifts can feel a bit clunky at times.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #6  
I have a Mule SX. Only Kawasaki has a three year warranty

I added a roof and windshield

If you intend to plow, adding a large deep cycle battery is a something to think about. I did that on a Ranger 850 I used for a while. SxS plows are iffy for serious snow. For tight spots I use an Ariens walk behind blower. And for light snows, a backpack blower.

Great work unit. Get the model with larger tires for added ground clearance. They are a bit loud. I will likely add an aftermarket silencer this year when the warranty expires.

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520
Thanks, @shooterdon . It will only be for plowing light snows. I have a 3 Pt hitch mounted snow blower on my tractor (plus I have the loader) for the big stuff. It's slow working with the blower, so the UTV would be for quick passes after moderate snows.

I definitely want a roof. I'm leaning toward getting a windshield as well, but not sure if I'd beat it up too much in the woods (one of the reasons I don't have a cab on my tractor).

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #9  
I was all in on the Kawi SX and the Honda 520. I decided they were a bit narrow. I wanted more stability. Plus neither had power steering.

After research I went with the Kawi Mule Pro MX. It's not much bigger but checked all the boxes. So far I'm happy I did.

20230412_131001-2.jpg

/ Pros & Cons Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer 520 #10  
Belt (Kawasaki) vs direct drive (Honda)

Reliability goes to Honda, IMO.

Also consider the dump bed capacity. A 700-4 will give you more dump bed with the second seat folded down. Problem would be the width which is 60" but you needed a bigger trailer anyway. :geek: